Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2023, 07:16 PM

37,316 posts, read 59,334,574 times

Advertisements

My grandson in 5th grade rides bus from school to his neighborhood drop
His mom takes him in the AM most of the time or his dad or my husband—we live next door

They originally tried using the bus when he went to K but kids were just too rowdy
Then CoVid came along and he was home-schooled by his mom (a teacher of the gifted) when he was in 2nd
We have helped with carpool after we moved here full time…

Anyway—they decided he was probably big enough now to handled the teasing
So my husband picks him up at the bus stop in PM—our subdivision doesn’t have sidewalks and walking in the street is really not a good idea—and some people don’t want kids walking in their yards either—

My grandson is not getting bullied by others but there are kids on that bus who are using MF and N in loud voices and bullying others—
He heard one girl today make another girl cry when she told her “you are burnt like toast”
So you can guess accurately the racial elements of that conversation

He and a friend of his usually sit with a younger boy in K to keep him from being bullied but he has no way to make the others behave

The bus driver has a schedule to meet. Stopping to make kids be quiet punishes her and apparently isn’t very effective. My grandson says that she has threatened all the kids with getting in trouble if they are talking but she doesn’t do anything to stop those who are causing most of the problems…

Supposedly there are cameras on these buses that are supposed to record activity and language but apparently no one reviews them to check behavior—unless maybe the driver makes a specific complaint

And I know the district has have a difficult time getting enough drivers to fill all their routes
My daughter’s school had to change its schedule last year because it is magnet and gets kids from all over the county so needs more buses than most elementary or jr highs—

Any suggestions from those who have practical experience and actually improved conditions???
Rocking the boat can be enough to get you thrown out at times…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2023, 10:01 PM

49,889 posts, read 23,631,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
My grandson in 5th grade rides bus from school to his neighborhood drop
His mom takes him in the AM most of the time or his dad or my husband—we live next door

They originally tried using the bus when he went to K but kids were just too rowdy
Then CoVid came along and he was home-schooled by his mom (a teacher of the gifted) when he was in 2nd
We have helped with carpool after we moved here full time…

Anyway—they decided he was probably big enough now to handled the teasing
So my husband picks him up at the bus stop in PM—our subdivision doesn’t have sidewalks and walking in the street is really not a good idea—and some people don’t want kids walking in their yards either—

My grandson is not getting bullied by others but there are kids on that bus who are using MF and N in loud voices and bullying others—
He heard one girl today make another girl cry when she told her “you are burnt like toast”
So you can guess accurately the racial elements of that conversation

He and a friend of his usually sit with a younger boy in K to keep him from being bullied but he has no way to make the others behave

The bus driver has a schedule to meet. Stopping to make kids be quiet punishes her and apparently isn’t very effective. My grandson says that she has threatened all the kids with getting in trouble if they are talking but she doesn’t do anything to stop those who are causing most of the problems…

Supposedly there are cameras on these buses that are supposed to record activity and language but apparently no one reviews them to check behavior—unless maybe the driver makes a specific complaint

And I know the district has have a difficult time getting enough drivers to fill all their routes
My daughter’s school had to change its schedule last year because it is magnet and gets kids from all over the county so needs more buses than most elementary or jr highs—

Any suggestions from those who have practical experience and actually improved conditions???
Rocking the boat can be enough to get you thrown out at times…
1. The child's legal guardian/parent needs to contact the school. Under FERPAS legislation, only the legal parent or guardian should be able to be involved.

2. There are no 'general' rules for buses from one system to another, although they are not much different. Bullying would certainly be included in almost any school system's rules.

3. There are two places where schools have limited control (from a practical standpoint) -- walkers (to and from school) and on buses. Some schools now have bus monitors, and as you mention, cameras...although some cameras on school buses are fake...just there to make students think they are being monitored.

4. The legal parent or guardian should put everything in writing. Even if it starts with a phone call, send a follow-up letter to the principal reviewing the communication. This gets a principal's attention big time.

5. Be realistic. No school or school person can eliminate all school bullying. Words are spoken between students on the bus, the gym locker rooms and showers, in student bathrooms, in the cafeteria, etc. But a good question to ask is what is the school doing about bullying.

Old 09-27-2023, 10:16 PM

1,367 posts, read 622,622 times
My bus driver used to pull over and kick the bad kids off the bus.
Once in a while he would kick all the kids off the bus.
Can you imagine the freakout from parents if they did that today?

Old 09-28-2023, 07:24 AM

9,320 posts, read 13,845,565 times
Why not give kids a pass-card allowing them to ride the bus?

Then, ask for an adult Volunteer to ride each day who asks to see the offender’s pass, record the number, and give the kid a warning to behave. The penalty? After three warnings their parents are told, and they must do something as a result.

When many of us older folks rode busses to school there were rules. No conversation, no switching seats while moving, no pushing or shoving to get on or off. Never had problems.

Old 09-28-2023, 12:09 PM

49,889 posts, read 23,631,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Why not give kids a pass-card allowing them to ride the bus?

Then, ask for an adult Volunteer to ride each day who asks to see the offender’s pass, record the number, and give the kid a warning to behave. The penalty? After three warnings their parents are told, and they must do something as a result.

When many of us older folks rode busses to school there were rules. No conversation, no switching seats while moving, no pushing or shoving to get on or off. Never had problems.
And what year was that?

Old 09-30-2023, 12:48 PM

7,029 posts, read 3,883,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And what year was that?
It wasn't like that in the early 1970's!

Old 09-30-2023, 03:13 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,495 posts, read 57,246,361 times
What are the rules regarding bus discipline?

Definitely don't ask the schools for advice!!! (They need their own assistance and ideas)

I have (5) friends who are FT school bus drivers, Most frequently mothers who have kids in school, so are hanging around anyway, but also (2) retiree friends.

They are very fond of their jobs, and have learned to cope.

1) Start out the yr very nice, kind, and considerate. (Always be nice, welcoming, considerate )
2) At the beginning of week 2... lay down the law (sternly). Let the students know you have (2) personalities, and you're not afraid to use the appropriate one when required.
3) Every incident after that... reinforce that YOU are in charge, and it is a privilege to be allowed to ride your SAFE (and warm and dry) bus (It rains and snows here, a lot... 280 days / yr)
4) Don't be afraid to strictly enforce your rules when necessary.
5) Once a month, review your rules, and remind the remaining students of how many have LOST the privilege of riding your SAFE and secure bus (More seats available for the 'survivors / those who follow the rules)
6) Encourage your surviving passengers that you appreciate them being NICE to others (and to you).

I.e. treat them like children maturing responsibly to adulthood.
You will reap the rewards. (as will their parents and teachers, and community).

Old 10-02-2023, 04:21 PM

30,693 posts, read 79,163,208 times
Bus drivers have to focus on driving safely. They are professional drivers, not professional babysitters. They are not going to catch much.

Our two middle children rode the bus together. The older (sister) got bullied a lot. She was in jr high, and he was in elementary school. They are one year apart. One day a bully boy grabbed her breasts. Our son who is younger than his sister and several years younger than the bully was less than half the bully's size reportedly turned into the tasmanian devil. Bully went to the hospital. Bus driver could not vouch for our son because she did not see a thing, just found the kid bleeding and screaming when they arrived at the school. School administrators had nothing to go on but the mixed up and conflicting stories of several eye witnesses. Both kids got suspended. I sternly lectured my son when I picked him up at school. I told him he was grounded during the time he was suspended. Then I took him out for ice cream every day he was home.

There is no way the bus driver can keep control of the kids on the bus. There are as many or more kids on the bus than in a classroom and the teachers (who are not driving a 40' long vehicle at the time) cannot keep control of the kids in their classrooms all the time.

A lot of districts have gotten rid of busses as a cost saving measure. I think it may be a good idea for other reasons. Carpooling seems to work just fine.

My mother drove a wooden school bus in the 1940s. She would drive around, pick up the kids, take them to the school, then get out and go to class. The bus was a private enterprise. They had to pay her weekly. They could pay with a chicken or two, a couple dozen eggs, a ham, three bushels of corn. a sack of potatoes or onions etc. The well to do kids paid with coins. She had to stagger the pay dates so she still had room in the bus.

She had no discipline issues. You behaved, or you no longer had any way to get to school (or home). Kids who got kicked off sometimes came back begging to be given a second chance. They even offered to stand up and not take up a seat (but this was because it hurt too much to sit down).

There was an article about her in some publication. It said she was the youngest bus driver in the nation. One of grandpas wooden busses was taken apart and stored under the big front porch. I wonder if it is still there.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 10-02-2023 at 04:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education