Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2023, 10:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,929 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone would share methods for studying math, geometry specifically, that helped them? I struggle with math, and the study skills I use for my other subjects aren't really applicable to geometry. I don't mind whether it's a website or just a description of a memorization method, etc.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2023, 07:39 AM

2,514 posts, read 2,621,390 times
If you can volunteer to learn or sit in for a small construction project like making a cabinet, etc., you can get some hands-on Geometry learning potentially.

Old 09-29-2023, 09:31 AM

101,973 posts, read 106,470,034 times
Just learn the theorems. As long as you memorize the theorems, you can do geometry. Then do practice problems, and note which theorems you use as you progress through solving the problem. There's a logical progression.

I was always lousy at math (algebra, etc.), but geometry was different. It didn't really seem like math, if that makes any sense.

You can try Kahn Academy online. They would have thorough Geometry tutorials. It's free.

Old 09-29-2023, 05:40 PM

2,514 posts, read 2,621,390 times
Khan is great!
For the theorems, some of them can seem too wordy and overly mundane and hard to remember or understand when and what to use. In some cases, you have options. You want to make sure you include enough detail and understand the concepts, and listing the concepts and enough wording, even if you don't get the eloquent wording down, may suffice.

Old 09-29-2023, 06:19 PM

4,227 posts, read 2,108,786 times
Former math tutor here.

The best "method" is to do problems, then more problems, and then...more problems.

You cannot learn math from reading it, taking notes on it, listening to it, watching videos about it. You have to do the work - you have to do the problems.

Old 09-29-2023, 06:59 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,495 posts, read 57,246,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
Former math tutor here.

The best "method" is to do problems, then more problems, and then...more problems.

You cannot learn math from reading it, taking notes on it, listening to it, watching videos about it. You have to do the work - you have to do the problems.
add a bonus, depending on your learning style.

Geometry has a lot of games / physical modeling that can help solidify concepts. Memorizing can get you through, ut it's a whol lot easier if you can APPLY your learnings to practical use. That way you can quickly evaluate if your solution is reasonable, or way outside of probability.

Computer aided design (CAD) has become my 'go-to' for quick current geometry solutions. It really helps to conceptualize when the computer shows you a graphic hile it solves your problem.

Old 09-29-2023, 08:48 PM

8,775 posts, read 5,783,631 times
Do every problem at the end of each chapter. The same processes apply to both plane geometry and solid geometry. (BTW, also to trigonometry.)

Completing each problem set and theorem will improve your logical mental processing capabilities.

The power of learning and completing geometric proofs is the application of rational and logical thinking. This is the reason to study geometry.

The problems generally break down into:
(1) What do we know.
(2) What do we want to prove.
(3) What are the steps to get from (1) to (2).

Knowing that the sum of the angles of a triangle equals 180 degrees will not make you successful in life. However, being able to use that fact to solve other geometric problems will improve your ability to see and construct pathways to solve larger problems later in life. Geometric problems utilize inductive and deductive reasoning, skills that will serve you well in all areas of your life.

Most maths can be "conquered" by applying the seat of the pants to the seat of the chair.

Old 09-30-2023, 10:30 AM

4,338 posts, read 4,172,671 times
The professor in my advanced geometry class constantly re-iterated: Start with the definitions.

Make sure you understand the definitions. Then the theorems will make more sense.

While computers are useful for visualizing geometry problems, there is no substitute for physically drawing them and writing them out yourself. The act of doing so will help imprint the problem on your brain and make it easier to retrieve in the future. It doesn't hurt to repeat difficult problems until you can do them easily. You are trying to develop automaticity, where you don't really have to think deeply about each step because they come more easily as you build "muscle memory."

Old 10-01-2023, 10:41 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,363,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
Former math tutor here.

I concur.

Here's how I helped our daughter with math courses. She, of course, had her textbook, and the textbook had only a few sample problems worked out step-by-step. To help her, I bought the Instructor's Solutions Guide from the textbook publisher; this guide has EVERY problem listed in the textbook worked out step-by-step all the way through to completion. Then, sitting with me, she would tackle a problem in the textbook as best she could, and when she was stuck, we'd turn to the Instructor's Solutions Guide. By using this guide, she was sure to use the techniques being taught in the textbook (in contrast to how I might solve it).

Old 10-01-2023, 10:43 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,363,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Do every problem at the end of each chapter. The same processes apply to both plane geometry and solid geometry. (BTW, also to trigonometry.)
... and differential geometry as well. Oops, I'm getting ahead of myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education