Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-04-2023, 10:43 AM
 
Location: California
1,353 posts, read 960,341 times
Reputation: 1344

Advertisements

https://brownstone.org/articles/a-so...ublic-schools/

Quote:
And yes, I do recognize that what I’m proposing in many ways resembles the system of Catholic schools that performed so much good in this country for so many years. Unfortunately, that system did not reach every part of the country and appears to be dying out in others. My proposal builds on that model in a way that I believe is feasible for any community.

All it will take is a group of dedicated, determined parents working hand-in-hand with local pastors, community leaders, and other experts in areas like education, law, finance, and marketing. Some of those experts would no doubt be the parents themselves, bringing to the table whatever knowledge and experience they have acquired. If they put their minds to it, I am confident such a group could procure a facility, raise the necessary money to get started, hire a handful of teachers (and/or recruit qualified parent volunteers), and launch a school.

 
Old 10-04-2023, 11:03 AM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
49,890 posts, read 23,631,391 times
Reputation: 32384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahayana View Post
And we would want to go back to a failed system of catholic-type schools for what reason?
 
Old 10-04-2023, 11:04 AM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,495 posts, read 57,246,361 times
Reputation: 45741
And OP posted this in the "that-will-never-work" C-D forum?

Stand by for excuses. (And blatant condemnation from our resident 'professionals' (?))

While many of us have been doing this for decades. (All of our church attendance has been at facilities who opened their doors to community services and education (and forfeited tax exemption to do so) . Currently we host (4) educational programs, including non-english school for kids and adults + community kitchen for feeding poor / homeless. Dinky community which has social needs. Facility has been a homeschool coop for over 40 years. We have an educational foundation for supporting scholarships for elementary education needs of members of the community. Just completed distribution of hundreds of school packs for local kids

Education involves more than a couple stodgy, retired 'professionals' (?) Tooting their tarnished trumpets.

Yes, it can work

And must.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 10-04-2023 at 11:21 AM..
 
Old 10-04-2023, 11:24 AM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
49,890 posts, read 23,631,391 times
Reputation: 32384
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
And OP posted this in the "that-will-never-work" C-D forum?

Stand by for excuses. (And blatant condemnation from our resident 'professionals' (?))

While many of us have been doing this for decades. (All of our church attendance has been at facilities who opened their doors to community services and education (and forfeited tax exemption to do so) . Currently we host (4) educational programs, including non-english school for kids and adults + community kitchen for feeding poor / homeless. Dinky community which has social needs. Facility has been a homeschool coop for over 40 years. We have and educational foundation for supporting scholarships for elementary education needs of members of the community. Just completed distribution of hundreds of school packs for local kids

Education involves more than a couple stodgy, retired 'professionals' (?) Tooting their tarnished trumpets.

Yes, it can work

And must.
People, including catholics, have pretty much abandoned the system. The church has -- by their own choice -- closed schools. According to the Wall Street Journal, "At least 209 of the country's nearly 6,000 Catholic schools have closed over the past year, according to the National Catholic Educational Association. More closures are expected this summer, and some schools have taken to GoFundMe in an effort to stay open.

This is not a model of success. But you like it for one simple reason -- you seem to hate public schools.
 
Old 10-04-2023, 11:48 AM
 
Location: California
1,353 posts, read 960,341 times
Reputation: 1344
If parents are content or even happy with public schools effect on their children, then carry on as is.

If not - consider options.
 
Old 10-04-2023, 12:05 PM
 
Location: Shawnee-on-Delaware, PA
7,894 posts, read 7,225,702 times
Reputation: 15983
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And we would want to go back to a failed system of catholic-type schools for what reason?
The system only gave out (in most areas) because the supply of nuns teaching for free, dried up. Working families were then forced to send their kids to public school. There are still some parochial schools hanging on in the inner cities, where they are most needed.

We were lucky enough to be able to send our kids to Catholic school, out in the exurbs.
 
Old 10-04-2023, 12:20 PM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
49,890 posts, read 23,631,391 times
Reputation: 32384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahayana View Post
If parents are content or even happy with public schools effect on their children, then carry on as is.

If not - consider options.
Of course.
 
Old 10-04-2023, 12:21 PM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
49,890 posts, read 23,631,391 times
Reputation: 32384
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
The system only gave out (in most areas) because the supply of nuns teaching for free, dried up. Working families were then forced to send their kids to public school. There are still some parochial schools hanging on in the inner cities, where they are most needed.

We were lucky enough to be able to send our kids to Catholic school, out in the exurbs.
Okay, but it's still a failed system. "hanging on" is not a descriptor of success.
 
Old 10-04-2023, 01:30 PM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,495 posts, read 57,246,361 times
Reputation: 45741
There are many, many viable solutions. (It will take a bunch)

They won't be coming from the existing, or previous Public School system. BTDT

Quote:
-- you seem to hate public schools.
Again, (as usual)
A very unfounded and personal ATTACK (Just as if we were kids in YOUR Jr Hi )


I don't play those games
  • I'm nearly daily in Public Schools (continued efforts to assist 'our' community kids)
  • Annual 'contributions' in school taxation which are very close to exceeding my highest ever annual wage.
  • Active in Skills training and education
  • Hiring the pathetic 'product' of our Public School system (and investing the $$, patience, and training to equip them to do elementary skills (which they SHOULD have learned by grade 6).
And you?

(don't ask... there will be a multitude of more excuses / blame shifting)

Dig in, enhance your community, employers, students.

There is no shortage of opportuinities to contribute, in spite of the barriers of 'professionalism' in the USA EDU failure.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 10-04-2023 at 01:40 PM..
 
Old 10-04-2023, 01:33 PM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
49,890 posts, read 23,631,391 times
Reputation: 32384
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
There are many, many viable solutions. (It will take a bunch)

They won't be coming from the existing, or previous Public School system. BTDT
Once again, no substance. Just a 'tear down American education' approach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.



All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top