Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2023, 11:29 AM

10,393 posts, read 7,473,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I went public. I took the PSAT in October 1973, and the SAT in May and October 1974. My May 1974 SAT's (if my poor memory serves) were 620 verbal, 670 math. Accordingly I "crammed" for the verbal and in October 1974 got 700 Verbal 620 Math. Thus, and I don't know if you can still do this, my combined was 1370 out of 1600, adding my best scores together. Do they still allow that?
Wow, that's amazing you have the scores and recollection of events from back then. I don't believe they allow this anymore.

Don't recall anything about my scores from the same era, other than they weren't particularly impressive.

My kid took the test in that last year, 2016, where it was 2400 total. When she got home I asked how it went. She said, "It went well." Yes it did! She got a 2360, missing just 40 points on the writing section.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2023, 12:34 PM

19,452 posts, read 17,674,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I went public. I took the PSAT in October 1973, and the SAT in May and October 1974. My May 1974 SAT's (if my poor memory serves) were 620 verbal, 670 math. Accordingly I "crammed" for the verbal and in October 1974 got 700 Verbal 620 Math. Thus, and I don't know if you can still do this, my combined was 1370 out of 1600, adding my best scores together. Do they still allow that?
That's referred to as, "Superscoring" and it's still a thing that some admissions departments consider although they see all earned scores.

Old 10-13-2023, 02:07 PM

4,253 posts, read 5,883,007 times
Expected dip for students affected by the pandemic's Remote Learning. Will likely stay low for one or two more years, then rebound to pre-pandemic levels.

My wife worked as an Educator during the pandemic. Too many students (and Parents!) refused to participate in Remote Learning, even with free laptops and free internet provided by the local schools.

Old 10-13-2023, 02:42 PM

12,570 posts, read 8,797,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Expected dip for students affected by the pandemic's Remote Learning. Will likely stay low for one or two more years, then rebound to pre-pandemic levels.

My wife worked as an Educator during the pandemic. Too many students (and Parents!) refused to participate in Remote Learning, even with free laptops and free internet provided by the local schools.
Look at when the decrease starts. Several years before the pandemic hit. The pandemic impact would only be in the last year or two of data.

Old 10-13-2023, 03:02 PM
Status: "A solution in search of a problem" (set 6 days ago)

34,360 posts, read 16,479,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
That's referred to as, "Superscoring" and it's still a thing that some admissions departments consider although they see all earned scores.
My impression is that the "superscore" was all that they considered. In the week before Christmas 1974 I left school in a class in which I could afford to to chase the mail truck near my house one day. I picked up my SAT score. About two days later I did the same thing and picked up my "thick" envelope, indicating early -decision acceptance, from Cornell. Both my parents' and the guidance counselor's impression what that Cornell awaited by SAT's with the same anticipation that I did and accepted me upon that event. 1370 would have done it; I doubt 1320 would have.

Old 10-13-2023, 06:41 PM

41,617 posts, read 17,203,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Look at when the decrease starts. Several years before the pandemic hit. The pandemic impact would only be in the last year or two of data.
Well we have the pandemic as an excuse and an article that says all the smart kids left public school.

Pick your poison

Old 10-14-2023, 09:25 AM

7,246 posts, read 3,467,270 times
Quote:
I'm not convinced reversion-to-the-mean will occur here. I can easily see a scenario where scores do not rebound to pre-pandemic levels until today's kindergarteners are taking the ACT many years from now.

Quote:

In order for those students to get back to trend a few years from now they would have to be learning far above trend between now and then, wouldn't they?

Old 10-14-2023, 10:07 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,541 posts, read 57,425,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
I'm not convinced reversion-to-the-mean will occur here. I can easily see a scenario where scores do not rebound to pre-pandemic levels until today's kindergarteners are taking the ACT many years from now.

In order for those students to get back to trend a few years from now they would have to be learning far above trend between now and then, wouldn't they?
Many schools (HS and U's) are abandoning ACT and SAT. They'll replace it with something that fits the numbers they can deliver. (They do make their own rules )

Many 'pandemic kids' / families DID continuing learning at a much higher rate than PS will accommodate.

They're doing fine. (and much less competition)

Those falling behind in EDU will be left behind, since we live in a worldwide economy and resource of students, employees, careers, intellectual contributions.

This WW merry-go-round does not stop for USA EDU failures or ACT scores.

Old 10-14-2023, 10:10 AM

12,570 posts, read 8,797,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post

Unfortunately, those students who took the ACT in 22/23 are pretty much either graduated high school or about to. You are right that it could take several years to bring the next group of students back up to pre 2017 levels. Which even then weren't great.

Old 10-14-2023, 11:03 AM

4,350 posts, read 4,187,181 times
When 70% of the students who take the American College Test have no intention of actually going to college, the scores are going to drop, precipitously.

It is worth noting that institutions of higher learning started dropping the testing requirement at the same time that more states were requiring that every student take it. The scores were no longer as useful as before when determining admissions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education