Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2023, 12:13 PM

4,250 posts, read 5,881,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
When 70% of the students who take the American College Test have no intention of actually going to college, the scores are going to drop, precipitously.

It is worth noting that institutions of higher learning started dropping the testing requirement at the same time that more states were requiring that every student take it. The scores were no longer as useful as before when determining admissions.
So true. Many High Schools require ALL students to take the exam, which results in answer sheets with the ovals colored in to create patterns or words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2023, 12:24 PM

41,572 posts, read 17,165,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
When 70% of the students who take the American College Test have no intention of actually going to college, the scores are going to drop, precipitously.

It is worth noting that institutions of higher learning started dropping the testing requirement at the same time that more states were requiring that every student take it. The scores were no longer as useful as before when determining admissions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
So true. Many High Schools require ALL students to take the exam, which results in answer sheets with the ovals colored in to create patterns or words.
But that isn't something new.

My son graduated HS in 2009 and they were doing that back then...all students took the tests.
By then NCLB was in place and all students were on a college track.

Old 10-14-2023, 01:25 PM

50,061 posts, read 23,742,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
But that isn't something new.

My son graduated HS in 2009 and they were doing that back then...all students took the tests.
By then NCLB was in place and all students were on a college track.
No, all students in this country are not on a college track.

For example, at the high school where I lost taught -- in Fairfax County Public Schools in Virginia -- the eleventh largest school district in the nation here's the program offerings in non-college track today in 2023:

Automotive
Chinese
Construction
Cosmetology
Criminal Justice
Culinary
Cyber/IT
Electrical
Global STEM Challenges Program
HVAC
Teachers for Tomorrow
Veterinary Science

Out of 30 high schools in the county, six have these "Academy" programs, and students from other high schools can get transportation to the Academy schools.

https://www.fcps.edu/academics/high/...lized-programs

Old 10-14-2023, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
No, all students in this country are not on a college track.

For example, at the high school where I lost taught -- in Fairfax County Public Schools in Virginia -- the eleventh largest school district in the nation here's the program offerings in non-college track today in 2023:

Automotive
Chinese
Construction
Cosmetology
Criminal Justice
Culinary
Cyber/IT
Electrical
Global STEM Challenges Program
HVAC
Teachers for Tomorrow
Veterinary Science

Out of 30 high schools in the county, six have these "Academy" programs, and students from other high schools can get transportation to the Academy schools.

https://www.fcps.edu/academics/high/...lized-programs
The vocational programs were removed and then came back since 2009.
They are now called CTE usually taught by professionals that obtained a teaching cert.

Over 14 years there have been a few new programs since NCLB

Nevertheless, all the kids took the standardized tests so this isn't something new to affect the declining scores.

Old 10-14-2023, 02:29 PM

Quote:
The vocational programs were removed and then came back since 2009.
They are now called CTE usually taught by professionals that obtained a teaching cert.

Over 14 years there have been a few new programs since NCLB

Nevertheless, all the kids took the standardized tests so this isn't something new to affect the declining scores.
I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about the lie that all students in this country are on a college track. That is said repeatedly on this forum.

Old 10-14-2023, 02:33 PM

Quote:
I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about the lie that all students in this country are on a college track. That is said repeatedly on this forum.
I wrote "was" and "were"....you know...past tense.

Old 10-14-2023, 02:35 PM

Quote:
I wrote "was" and "were"....you know...past tense.
I'm talking about the consistent claims in this forum that all American students on a college track.

Old 10-15-2023, 06:40 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,537 posts, read 57,405,072 times
ACT Scores...

Quote:
I'm talking about the consistent claims in this forum that all American students on a college track.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
This^^^^

Old 10-15-2023, 08:40 AM

12,566 posts, read 8,790,450 times
I looked up our local high school's current offerings. It's a bit disengenious to call their programs CTE, because most of the list were only a single, survey course, not a program of study. The only ones that you could call a complete program of study were the dual enrollment courses with the local CC, so the high school isn't really offering them, just allowing students to take them, and cosmetology. What was interesting is they included the single course in personal finance as a CTE program. As well as JROTC.

And of course, the obligatory STEM "program" as a career. Wow. Every possible technical career wrapped into a single course. This is from the course syllabus:

Students will:

(1) have an increased awareness of STEM and related careers;
(2) gain an awareness of the education necessary to participate in those careers; and/or (3) develop
their knowledge of related content and skills (including critical thinking skills) needed for entering the
STEM workforce.

The point is, how much substance is within school CTE programs?

Old 10-15-2023, 09:36 AM

1,403 posts, read 1,059,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I looked up our local high school's current offerings. It's a bit disengenious to call their programs CTE, because most of the list were only a single, survey course, not a program of study. The only ones that you could call a complete program of study were the dual enrollment courses with the local CC, so the high school isn't really offering them, just allowing students to take them, and cosmetology. What was interesting is they included the single course in personal finance as a CTE program. As well as JROTC.

And of course, the obligatory STEM "program" as a career. Wow. Every possible technical career wrapped into a single course. This is from the course syllabus:

Students will:

(1) have an increased awareness of STEM and related careers;
(2) gain an awareness of the education necessary to participate in those careers; and/or (3) develop
their knowledge of related content and skills (including critical thinking skills) needed for entering the
STEM workforce.

The point is, how much substance is within school CTE programs?
The two districts in CO that I worked in have some pretty comprehensive CTE programs that have included certifications in Welding, automotive, CNA, etc. Maybe you local school just stinks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education