Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2023, 02:33 PM

49,892 posts, read 23,631,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Hire Asian parents to teach. Whatever they do with their own kids seems to work.
Depends on which Asian culture to a large degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2023, 08:33 PM

27,148 posts, read 28,189,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Hire Asian parents to teach. Whatever they do with their own kids seems to work.
You tell your kids they have to get straight A’s.

Or else no TV, video games or whatever other nonsense they do to waste their time.

Old 10-24-2023, 10:04 PM

4,340 posts, read 4,172,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

Or else no TV, video games or whatever other nonsense they do to waste their time.

My parents told me to do that. So I did. Then they told me to do better. That sent me off the edge. Perfectionism can be deadly. Don't do that to your children.

Old 10-24-2023, 10:41 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,498 posts, read 57,246,361 times
Quote:

1) That is very simple in today's schools (everybody gets an A)
2) Straight A's will not assure you learned anything (getting A's for showing up)
3) Getting A's in the USA system does not equate to an Asian (or other) quality education
4) Asian kids do not get straight A's (while in Asia schools).
5) Asian kids also game, txt, spend a LOT of time at McD, manage their own commute (and most meals), do sports, waste a lot of time, and attend mandatory Saturday courses. The majority are very accomplished musicians, and of course speak a minimum of (3) languages. There parents are working 7am until 10pm, so they are not much assistance to their kids who are in school. BUT... the libraries are full (until 10PM). You must register and wait for an extra seat to empty before they will let you in to the library. I haven't seen a USA student in our public library for years. It might be because it's only open 10AM - 4PM 3 days / week. I think most library patrons are either at school or work during open hours.

All the above takes a lot of time away from academics (which they get plenty of while attending regular public school classes). Don't challenge them to a game of badminton or table tennis (Or karaoke or videoke competition.)

Old 10-25-2023, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't think anyone is in denial about that. Certainly no educators I ever knew. What we are in denial about is that the old status quo -- the separate but equal type of thinking -- is the way it should be. Separate but equal is never equal, and it does not contribute to the concept of a 'united states of America' (lower case intentional).
I don’t agree with or support legalized racial segregation or discrimination in education. Just wanted to make that point clear.

Thank goodness it was ended in America in the 1960s.

Old 10-25-2023, 12:11 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,498 posts, read 57,246,361 times
Quote:
I don’t agree with or support legalized racial segregation or discrimination in education. Just wanted to make that point clear.

Thank goodness it was ended in America in the 1960s.
Yes, EVERYONE gets a chance, but does everyone have to be capped at the same level of opportunity as the lowest denominator?

I think not...

Education can be much smarter (and more fair) than that

Old 10-25-2023, 03:14 PM

23,724 posts, read 10,064,184 times
What I see with friends' kids in HS and college is scary. There is no sense of responsibility, no accountabiity. Well to do and educated parents.

Old 10-25-2023, 03:58 PM

2,525 posts, read 1,851,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
The disparities will still be there, but they won't be geographically-linked. My kids attend a SOC and the big filter is the fact that every parent has to get their butts up and drive their kid to and from school--or find a carpool, vanpool, aftercare, etc. That immediately eliminates uninvolved parents, which is the primary driver of unsuccessful students. So the filter with SOCs will still be income/wealth/free time/interest in your kid's education, but it will decouple from geography as the schools will no longer be districted.

You could say that low income people, who are educationally-focused, will make time to drive their kids to/from school and might have better opportunities in a SOC, but because of involved parenting, they would be successful even in low-performing schools. However, the chance to go to schools with fewer disruptive students will probably enhance their educational experience.

SOC for everyone will certainly separate the wheat from the chaff, allowing the few good students--who are forced to be in bad schools due to economic constraints--to flee those bad schools. This will crash the scores of already-low-testing schools. Desirable SOCs will see good performance. Then we can have more asinine studies like this one confirming everything that parents and educators already know.

I think it's a good idea, but it will drive the social justice crusaders right up the wall and around the bend as people use SOC for all to segregate themselves.
It doesn't always come down to a motivation to "get their butt up." Many are getting their butts up to get to the first of two jobs. Or have multiple children at different grade levels in different schools that they have to get off in the morning. Or live in neighborhoods where there aren't that many people with cars. Of course, involved parents is a huge plus, but parents can't always be blamed if they can't be as involved as others even when they do recognize the value of education.

Old 10-25-2023, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
My parents told me to do that. So I did. Then they told me to do better. That sent me off the edge. Perfectionism can be deadly. Don't do that to your children.
I understand that not all kids have the ability or the IQ to get straight A's in school.

But they shouldn't be getting poor grades because of a lack of effort or because they are spending hours every day doing worthless things.

Old 10-25-2023, 04:30 PM

49,892 posts, read 23,631,391 times
Quote:
I understand that not all kids have the ability or the IQ to get straight A's in school.

But they shouldn't be getting poor grades because of a lack of effort or because they are spending hours every day doing worthless things.
And one of the things I put right up there on top is almost countless hours of video games
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education