Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 11-06-2023, 05:50 PM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
30,102 posts, read 15,906,328 times
Reputation: 43758

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Here's the reason that policy came about to not give grades below a 50. Because a student could, and often did, really blow a major test. Really blow it, and get like a 20.

And then mathematically that can put the student in a place where there's no way they can pass the semester, even if they score very very well on the rest of the work.

And that does no one any good. To mathematically kick a kid out of passing a semester based on one major test, is a waste of everyone's time and money, especially for a kid who becomes motivated and masters the material.

easy solution: eliminate the lowest test score.




as for being a waste of time and money so is passing a child who has made no effort to learn.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-06-2023, 07:21 PM
 
Location: On the Chesapeake
44,741 posts, read 59,631,382 times
Reputation: 60264
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't believe in it, although I have worked under it.

And guess what I found...for the kids that really were in that "category"...they still got an F for the course or a D at best.
That's what almost always happens. Even with a 50% assigned the vast majority of the kids getting won't pass anyway.

When we had letter grades an E, E, E the first three quarters would fail the kid for the year. If the kid got a D and D the last couple quarters he'd pass for the year (a D, D, E, E would fail for the year).

About 99% of the time the kid with two E's and a D assigned to give him a chance would get that E fourth quarter and fail for the year.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2023, 08:02 PM
 
15,411 posts, read 15,358,389 times
Reputation: 21648
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
There was another somewhat recent thread about this same topic.

An F may not be a zero, but an F is still an F.
There's nothing wrong with returning to a subject. One article may be from the point of a teacher vs. one from a politician. One article may be better written than another.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2023, 08:18 PM
 
19,390 posts, read 17,580,496 times
Reputation: 16947
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Here's the reason that policy came about to not give grades below a 50. Because a student could, and often did, really blow a major test. Really blow it, and get like a 20.

And then mathematically that can put the student in a place where there's no way they can pass the semester, even if they score very very well on the rest of the work.

And that does no one any good. To mathematically kick a kid out of passing a semester based on one major test, is a waste of everyone's time and money, especially for a kid who becomes motivated and masters the material.
Sorry but no.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2023, 10:19 PM
 
Location: Shawnee-on-Delaware, PA
7,895 posts, read 7,230,393 times
Reputation: 15989
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Maybe.

I understand both sides of the issue and the justification for it. When a kid has failed for the year by Christmas and knows it then what do you do with him/her until June? S/He knows they've failed and so there's no hook to do work. That leaves every class period 100% open to entertain himself with self-directed activities, most of which aren't positive for the class as a whole.
That sounds like the kid has a serious problem. What if they drop him back a grade starting in January? Then he can "succeed backwards" right now rather than "fail forward" later. Maybe he'll be able to complete last year's work? Sure, he may have blown it off last year, too, but at least it's not as challenging and maybe he can build some confidence. (Yes, I am saying he/him because most school failures I have known are boys.)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2023, 10:23 PM
 
12,522 posts, read 8,740,507 times
Reputation: 34281
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You already know the answers for most of your questions.
You know them and I know them, and we probably agree. I think if you and I set down somewhere over a beverage, we wouldn't be far apart.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2023, 10:29 PM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
49,903 posts, read 23,645,912 times
Reputation: 32401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
There's nothing wrong with returning to a subject. One article may be from the point of a teacher vs. one from a politician. One article may be better written than another.
I don't disagree. I just pointed it out because the OP may want to seek out the other thread.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2023, 10:30 PM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
49,903 posts, read 23,645,912 times
Reputation: 32401
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Sorry but no.
Sorry, but whether you agree with the policy or not, Clara is correct, that was thinking that led to it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2023, 10:31 PM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
49,903 posts, read 23,645,912 times
Reputation: 32401
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
That sounds like the kid has a serious problem. What if they drop him back a grade starting in January? Then he can "succeed backwards" right now rather than "fail forward" later. Maybe he'll be able to complete last year's work? Sure, he may have blown it off last year, too, but at least it's not as challenging and maybe he can build some confidence. (Yes, I am saying he/him because most school failures I have known are boys.)
Oh yes, dropping kids back a year to be with younger kids...right...that's bound to build his confidence.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2023, 11:01 PM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,498 posts, read 57,267,209 times
Reputation: 45766
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Oh yes, dropping kids back a year to be with younger kids...right...that's bound to build his confidence.
SO we're psychologists? or teachers? (or do neither very well!!)

'Building Confidence' is not lying to a student and their parents, then passing them on to the next grade level.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top