Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2023, 06:50 PM

15,402 posts, read 15,349,906 times

Advertisements

I just find this so hard to believe. And so depressing.

Teachers Can’t Hold Students Accountable.
It’s Making the Job Miserable.

Several teachers whom I spoke with or who responded to my questionnaire mentioned policies stating that students cannot get lower than a 50 percent on any assignment, even if the work was never done, in some cases. A teacher from Chapel Hill, N.C., who filled in the questionnaire’s “name” field with “No, no, no,” said the 50 percent floor and “NO attendance enforcement” leads to a scenario where “we get students who skip over 100 days, have a 50 percent, complete a couple of assignments to tip over into 59.5 percent and then pass.”
Just passing students on without ensuring that they’ve learned what they need to learn is obviously not only demoralizing for teachers; it potentially has devastating consequences for our society. A Georgia middle-school teacher recently went viral on TikTok for discussing the stakes of this lack of accountability for kids. “I teach seventh grade. They are still performing on the fourth-grade level,” he says in the video. “I can probably count on one hand how many kids are actually performing on their grade level.” He feels that no one is talking about it and that parents lack awareness, and says no matter how many zeros he puts in the grade book, the children will be passed along to eighth grade.
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/04/o...s-parents.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2023, 07:50 PM

49,889 posts, read 23,631,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I just find this so hard to believe. And so depressing.

Teachers Can’t Hold Students Accountable.
It’s Making the Job Miserable.

Several teachers whom I spoke with or who responded to my questionnaire mentioned policies stating that students cannot get lower than a 50 percent on any assignment, even if the work was never done, in some cases. A teacher from Chapel Hill, N.C., who filled in the questionnaire’s “name” field with “No, no, no,” said the 50 percent floor and “NO attendance enforcement” leads to a scenario where “we get students who skip over 100 days, have a 50 percent, complete a couple of assignments to tip over into 59.5 percent and then pass.”
Just passing students on without ensuring that they’ve learned what they need to learn is obviously not only demoralizing for teachers; it potentially has devastating consequences for our society. A Georgia middle-school teacher recently went viral on TikTok for discussing the stakes of this lack of accountability for kids. “I teach seventh grade. They are still performing on the fourth-grade level,” he says in the video. “I can probably count on one hand how many kids are actually performing on their grade level.” He feels that no one is talking about it and that parents lack awareness, and says no matter how many zeros he puts in the grade book, the children will be passed along to eighth grade.
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/04/o...s-parents.html
There was another somewhat recent thread about this same topic.

An F may not be a zero, but an F is still an F.

Old 11-06-2023, 08:48 AM

22,134 posts, read 46,986,521 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/educ...submitted.html

Old 11-06-2023, 09:38 AM

44,721 posts, read 59,606,344 times
My Gawd, I don't want another one of this thread's subject.

Old 11-06-2023, 09:51 AM

7,894 posts, read 7,225,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
But if it pops up more frequently, might be a good sign that things are starting to change. Lots of inertia in the hive-mind to overcome before changing course obviously, but it might be a sign.

Old 11-06-2023, 10:25 AM

44,721 posts, read 59,606,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
But if it pops up more frequently, might be a good sign that things are starting to change. Lots of inertia in the hive-mind to overcome before changing course obviously, but it might be a sign.
Maybe.

I understand both sides of the issue and the justification for it. When a kid has failed for the year by Christmas and knows it then what do you do with him/her until June? S/He knows they've failed and so there's no hook to do work. That leaves every class period 100% open to entertain himself with self-directed activities, most of which aren't positive for the class as a whole.

If the teacher is observed just letting the kid sit while the rest are working then there will be an intensive counseling session between that teacher and the Administration.

Old 11-06-2023, 11:19 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,053,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Yep. As someone who is actually experiencing it the way people talk about it here is just wild and useless.

Old 11-06-2023, 01:18 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,495 posts, read 57,246,361 times
old school...

"You're excused"

There, Fixed it.

Teachers can stand their ground (with a certain(?) amount of peril).

Old 11-06-2023, 02:01 PM

49,889 posts, read 23,631,391 times
simple answers aren't usually answers at all

Old 11-06-2023, 02:16 PM

10,293 posts, read 5,452,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
There was another somewhat recent thread about this same topic.

An F may not be a zero, but an F is still an F.

Do you agree with the policy of no score below 50%, even if 0% of the work is completed? How about no enforcement of attendance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education