Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2023, 09:30 PM

179 posts, read 266,989 times

Advertisements

I don't have access to the article, but I can attest to the horrible effects of teaching in a school where we don't have the right to confiscate (or get any other adult to confiscate) phones. I am strict with my students, and I file referrals for dissenters, so I have far fewer problems than many teachers. However, as listed above, attempts at enforcement by teachers is inconsistent, and admin overall takes the head in the sand approach. Do you think a teen without a family history of strong academics (or even often one with parents who went to college) is going to choose watching TikTok or an adult trying to teach them something? Yeah, it's almost always the first one when that teen knows almost nothing will come of having the phone out.

Sorry, I don't think having phones available for the recording of things like fights or things people say is a reason to let phones be around. So many kids take photos without people's permission, record things, watch sports games, play games, send messages (which can be for arranging fights), etc. Kids who aren't even legal adults yet are not generally mature.

I could go on and on, but good God, the damage technology has done to schooling is so layered and troubling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2023, 09:32 PM

49,932 posts, read 23,662,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creo View Post
I don't have access to the article, but I can attest to the horrible effects of teaching in a school where we don't have the right to confiscate (or get any other adult to confiscate) phones. I am strict with my students, and I file referrals for dissenters, so I have far fewer problems than many teachers. However, as listed above, attempts at enforcement by teachers is inconsistent, and admin overall takes the head in the sand approach. Do you think a teen without a family history of strong academics (or even often one with parents who went to college) is going to choose watching TikTok or an adult trying to teach them something? Yeah, it's almost always the first one when that teen knows almost nothing will come of having the phone out.

Sorry, I don't think having phones available for the recording of things like fights or things people say is a reason to let phones be around. So many kids take photos without people's permission, record things, watch sports games, play games, send messages (which can be for arranging fights), etc. Kids who aren't even legal adults yet are not generally mature.

I could go on and on, but good God, the damage technology has done to schooling is so layered and troubling.
I agree. Although it is a bit of a mixed blessing.

Old 11-12-2023, 02:13 AM

993 posts, read 2,433,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
No need for phones in classrooms; okay in lockers.
During the Covid-19/post-Covid-19 stupidity, apparently some schools got rid of lockers for middle and high school students. Students don't need lockers, also they don't need physical books, ... their textbooks are digital now.

Old 11-12-2023, 02:29 AM

60,863 posts, read 85,505,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I used to be against phones in the classroom, but have become more for it, for the reason you presented, for potential video recordings during fights in schools (needed for evidence because somehow, the bully gets excused), and better communication in the event of an emergency. There are times I wish we'd had them when I was in school for proof of the bullying that went on.
Schools have cameras everywhere, no?

Old 11-12-2023, 05:09 AM

27,160 posts, read 28,209,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I doubt it.

With all the bullying and disruptive behavior that goes on in schools, there should definitely be cameras everywhere so there is irrefutable proof.

Schools need to step up to the 21st century.

Old 11-12-2023, 06:43 AM

44,762 posts, read 59,654,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I doubt it.

With all the bullying and disruptive behavior that goes on in schools, there should definitely be cameras everywhere so there is irrefutable proof.

Schools need to step up to the 21st century.
Can't have cameras in the restrooms, where some of it takes place. Most "school" bullying doesn't take place there but in the neighborhoods and on-line, where the school has no authority although parents, and others want it to.

Also, cameras in schools are typically used for "after the fact", looking to see who was involved in a fight or committed vandalism. There's no room with a bank of monitors with someone watching them constantly like you see in the movies.

Cameras also tend to make Administrators lazy. Why be in the hallways when you can stay in your office and watch the them while catching up on your Fantasy Sports leagues or, even in some cases, when you can sit on your living room couch in your jammies.

Old 11-12-2023, 06:44 AM

15,149 posts, read 10,108,786 times
A teacher where I live was severely beaten by a student when she tried to take his phone away.

Old 11-12-2023, 08:55 AM

2,618 posts, read 2,194,116 times
It's not hard to ban them if you install jamming equipment.

Old 11-12-2023, 09:09 AM

21,193 posts, read 12,400,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
No wonder the high school kids we hire can't put their phones down. I didn't realize the phones were allowed in the classroom.

But I do see how they would be useful for proof in a bad situation or in an emergency.
How and why; do schools no longer have a land line whereby parents can reach teachers/students? I'm sure there have been "emergencies" in the past that were handled this way. I'm equally sure the large majority of communication between parents and students via cell phones on a daily basis is NOT "an emergency."

Old 11-12-2023, 09:09 AM

12,534 posts, read 8,749,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Perhaps some, somewhere do. But in general, nope.

Looking at bigger issues, we've already had discussions on CD and you can find them as well in news reports and other internet platforms as well, that with so much on line during COVID, many teachers were upset that PARENTS could see and hear what they said in class.

I was very happy when cell phones became something you could afford for children. It provided a second path of communication to my children if needed. I had already learned not to trust the school system to do the right thing in event of an emergency. In elementary school my child broke a hand on the playground. No one's fault, playground accident. But what the school did in response was their fault. They did nothing. They did not call us. The let that child go through the entire rest of the day with a broken hand until I picked her up from the afterschool program. They knew the child had been hurt and said nothing and did nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education