Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2023, 03:13 PM

3,513 posts, read 1,504,171 times

Advertisements

The answer is not to ban the phone. Ban the use of the phone during class. Students can keep it in a pocket, in the desk, wherever, but it can't be out during class. And it must be off or kept silent.

However, this rule is void if a teacher is acting unprofessionally, or some other serious incident is occurring. When this happens the school should promote and encourage taking video. But only then. And must immediately report taking a video to admin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2023, 03:34 PM

49,892 posts, read 23,631,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james112 View Post
The answer is not to ban the phone. Ban the use of the phone during class. Students can keep it in a pocket, in the desk, wherever, but it can't be out during class. And it must be off or kept silent.

However, this rule is void if a teacher is acting unprofessionally, or some other serious incident is occurring. When this happens the school should promote and encourage taking video. But only then. And must immediately report taking a video to admin.
Sounds easy.

How many students per day are you willing to suspend out of school? I would estimate that even in a small school it could be a dozen students per day...or more.

Old 11-12-2023, 03:37 PM

44,731 posts, read 59,620,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Sounds easy.

How many students per day are you willing to suspend out of school? I would estimate that even in a small school it could be a dozen students per day...or more.
Hell, you could get a dozen out of every class.

Old 11-12-2023, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Hell, you could get a dozen out of every class.
Perhaps.

It's like all the easy solutions that non-educators come up with in this forum.

If everything was as easy as they think it is, we'd have already done it.

Old 11-12-2023, 04:24 PM

27,148 posts, read 28,189,169 times
Quote:
Doesn't matter what you think bullying is because that's not the current definition.

You're engaging in magical thinking. Use of cameras is reactive, sorting things out after they've happened. As I said, for the most part they're not monitored in real time.
Cameras work wonders in stores.

Police body cams and car cams give endless hours of visual action about criminals, lawbreakers and law enforcement for anyone to view on YouTube.

How does that work so well?

Old 11-12-2023, 04:35 PM

44,731 posts, read 59,620,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Cameras work wonders in stores.

Police body cams and car cams give endless hours of visual action about criminals, lawbreakers and law enforcement for anyone to view on YouTube.

How does that work so well?
Do they work wonders in stores? Body cams and car cams are both reactive to an extent.

I don't see many perpetrators stop doing a misdeed because the officer has a body cam, which is why you see them on You Tube.

Unless you're suggesting that teachers be body cammed?

Go to your local high school, tell them why you're there and ask to see, for research, their camera setup and what it does. You may change your perspective.

Old 11-12-2023, 05:21 PM

12,514 posts, read 8,731,743 times
Quote:
You didn't catch what I was saying. Cameras encourage Admins to not to stay in their offices instead of being out in the hallways.

Bullying is overblown, especially when absolutely anything can be considered bullying. A guy doesn't want to talk to a girl? She's been bullied. A teacher tells a kid to put away his phone and do his work? That's bullying. Someone looks at someone a shade too long? That's bullying.

Some demographics play the Dozens. It's a cultural marker, if you will. Is that bullying? A cultural marker?
Sorry, but this is one area that you have wrong. I saw and experienced plenty of it in school. As did my kids. The worst part was the number of teachers, who should be stopping the bullying, who either looked the other way so they would "not see" it or who actually encouraged it. Or even participated in the verbal/emotional part of it.

I'm sad to see you trying to trivialize it given the impact it has on so many kids and families. So yep, I support kids having cell phones in school. I don't even care if they have them out in class. Are they talking on it? Then enforce the rule on talking class. Are they playing a game? The result will either be reflected in their grade, or they actually know the material and are bored while the teacher goes over the same stuff for the fifth time. That whole argument reminds me of being yelled at for reading ahead of the class -- "How do you expect to learn to read if you keep reading ahead!" Yep, I used the exclamation deliberately since these teachers weren't asking a question.

Seriously, let's think about what we're trying to prevent here. Most of the behaviors already have penalties attached to them. Focus on the behaviors that have a negative impact on the class and not on having rule just because it's a school and schools have rules.

Funny story. A few years ago, I was one of several asked to present a continuous learning course to local teachers. We thought it was very funny that the teachers who complained about students and cell phones spent the entire three days in the back of the room on their cell phones. Oh the irony.

Old 11-12-2023, 05:39 PM

21,302 posts, read 9,017,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
No wonder the high school kids we hire can't put their phones down. I didn't realize the phones were allowed in the classroom.

But I do see how they would be useful for proof in a bad situation or in an emergency.
So we should sacrifice ALL the kid's education for an emergency? I don't support phones in schools. I do support body cams on teachers. Why should cops have to wear them and not teachers?

Old 11-12-2023, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Sorry, but this is one area that you have wrong. I saw and experienced plenty of it in school. As did my kids. The worst part was the number of teachers, who should be stopping the bullying, who either looked the other way so they would "not see" it or who actually encouraged it. Or even participated in the verbal/emotional part of it.

I'm sad to see you trying to trivialize it given the impact it has on so many kids and families. So yep, I support kids having cell phones in school. I don't even care if they have them out in class. Are they talking on it? Then enforce the rule on talking class. Are they playing a game? The result will either be reflected in their grade, or they actually know the material and are bored while the teacher goes over the same stuff for the fifth time. That whole argument reminds me of being yelled at for reading ahead of the class -- "How do you expect to learn to read if you keep reading ahead!" Yep, I used the exclamation deliberately since these teachers weren't asking a question.

Seriously, let's think about what we're trying to prevent here. Most of the behaviors already have penalties attached to them. Focus on the behaviors that have a negative impact on the class and not on having rule just because it's a school and schools have rules.

Funny story. A few years ago, I was one of several asked to present a continuous learning course to local teachers. We thought it was very funny that the teachers who complained about students and cell phones spent the entire three days in the back of the room on their cell phones. Oh the irony.
I actually agree with you on quite a bit of this, but in defense of the other poster, the degree of bullying does vary from school to school, from neighborhood to neighborhood...as does the type of bullying.

But you're right. Too many in schools turn a blind eye. Of course, on the other hand we have parents who don't even know what bullying is. For example, the parent who came to my school demanding that several students be suspended because her daughter was being bullied. I asked, "Bullied in what way?" "The one girl is having a birthday party at her house on Saturday and she didn't invite my daughter!"

However, I thought grades were supposed to reflect student learning...not discipline.

Old 11-12-2023, 08:28 PM

12,514 posts, read 8,731,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I actually agree with you on quite a bit of this, but in defense of the other poster, the degree of bullying does vary from school to school, from neighborhood to neighborhood...as does the type of bullying.

But you're right. Too many in schools turn a blind eye. Of course, on the other hand we have parents who don't even know what bullying is. For example, the parent who came to my school demanding that several students be suspended because her daughter was being bullied. I asked, "Bullied in what way?" "The one girl is having a birthday party at her house on Saturday and she didn't invite my daughter!"

However, I thought grades were supposed to reflect student learning...not discipline.
Thank you. Let me clarify what I was trying to say by "the result will be reflected in the grade." I wasn't thinking in disciplinary terms, but if someone is goofing off instead of paying attention, then their grade will naturally suffer. Or they really did understand the material and get an "A" in which case it's better that they are keeping themselves occupied on the phone rather than finding other, more disruptive, ways to occupy themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education