Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-09-2023, 08:07 AM
 
Location: Fort Lauderdale
764 posts, read 445,179 times
Reputation: 1341

Advertisements

From NYT Opinion: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/09/o...ban-teens.html

I’d be interested to know what effects a phone ban in-school would have on the amount and severity of discipline problems.

Last edited by StarryKnight1; 11-09-2023 at 09:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-09-2023, 08:42 AM
 
12,512 posts, read 8,731,743 times
Reputation: 34270
Can't access the article, what does it say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2023, 08:47 AM
 
Location: Kansas
25,353 posts, read 21,575,072 times
Reputation: 25963
I don't know what the article says, but phones should be considered contraband in the classroom. All classrooms should have video security cameras operating. All students with discipline problems should be removed from the regular classrooms, put in alternative education where they sit at a desk with blinders on both sides and a computer screen. They fail that and schools need start operating schools for juvenile delinquents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2023, 08:53 AM
 
Location: Fort Lauderdale
764 posts, read 445,179 times
Reputation: 1341
Sorry folks, here’s the correct link to the article: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/09/o...ban-teens.html

Last edited by StarryKnight1; 11-09-2023 at 09:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2023, 09:02 AM
 
38 posts, read 16,790 times
Reputation: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
All students with discipline problems should be removed from the regular classrooms, put in alternative education where they sit at a desk with blinders on both sides and a computer screen.
HOLY! I'm all for discipline at a young age - but this seems HARSH just off the bat. What would you consider 'discipline problems'? Kids are so 'mold-able' and still learning how the world works....we still want individuality, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2023, 09:08 AM
 
Location: southwestern PA
22,134 posts, read 46,986,521 times
Reputation: 46746
behind a paywall... can't read
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2023, 09:09 AM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
49,887 posts, read 23,631,391 times
Reputation: 32384
No need for phones in classrooms; okay in lockers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2023, 10:22 AM
 
Location: Shawnee-on-Delaware, PA
7,893 posts, read 7,225,702 times
Reputation: 15983
I'm on the fence.

An actual recording of a teacher screaming anti-Semitic stuff or berating a kid for wearing political paraphernalia she doesn't like, goes a lot farther than "they said/they said" or word of mouth.

Then again, kids doomscrolling on TikTok instead of paying attention to the lesson is not good.

When I was a kid our yo-yos and superballs had to stay in the desk during class. Why are kids taking out their phones in class now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2023, 11:01 AM
 
12,512 posts, read 8,731,743 times
Reputation: 34270
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I'm on the fence.

An actual recording of a teacher screaming anti-Semitic stuff or berating a kid for wearing political paraphernalia she doesn't like, goes a lot farther than "they said/they said" or word of mouth.

Then again, kids doomscrolling on TikTok instead of paying attention to the lesson is not good.

When I was a kid our yo-yos and superballs had to stay in the desk during class. Why are kids taking out their phones in class now?
I used to be against phones in the classroom, but have become more for it, for the reason you presented, for potential video recordings during fights in schools (needed for evidence because somehow, the bully gets excused), and better communication in the event of an emergency. There are times I wish we'd had them when I was in school for proof of the bullying that went on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2023, 11:53 AM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
49,887 posts, read 23,631,391 times
Reputation: 32384
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I used to be against phones in the classroom, but have become more for it, for the reason you presented, for potential video recordings during fights in schools (needed for evidence because somehow, the bully gets excused), and better communication in the event of an emergency. There are times I wish we'd had them when I was in school for proof of the bullying that went on.
That is a point to be considered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top