Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2024, 02:51 PM

14,354 posts, read 20,424,213 times

Advertisements

A local pastor gives sermons in Spanish. How does one go about learning the 1000's and 1000's of words to be able to do that. There's spelling, meaning, definitions, how to pronounce, etc. Not to mention the memory needed to recall all the words and their meaning when compared to the English word for the same.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2024, 02:53 PM

22,226 posts, read 47,150,952 times
Language class at a college.
Language program such as Duolingo.
TV shows.
Private lessons/tutor.
Immersion.

Old 01-18-2024, 03:09 PM

7,932 posts, read 7,276,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
A local pastor gives sermons in Spanish. How does one go about learning the 1000's and 1000's of words to be able to do that. There's spelling, meaning, definitions, how to pronounce, etc. Not to mention the memory needed to recall all the words and their meaning when compared to the English word for the same.

Thanks.
Whatever the method, it must be easy because billions of people, even average people, do it. Immersion is probably the best way to become fluent. The keys are wanting to and needing to.

Hotels in New Jersey are now hiring maids who don't speak a word of English. I had to use my "emergency Spanish" to tell a maid that we had not ordered extra blankets, even when she pointed to her phone to show that she was asked to bring them to our room. "No esta nosotros", I blurted. Hopefully she will learn "we did not ask for that" someday, if she stays here.

At our local CVS there is a rack of books near where you wait for prescriptions. I pulled out a children's book of Bible stories in Spanish, and I impressed myself with how much I could understand because I already knew what the stories were about, and I had a few years of Spanish in school. OP, since you know generally what the preacher is saying in Spanish, that might be a good place for you to start learning, if you are interested.

Old 01-18-2024, 03:10 PM

14,182 posts, read 11,426,387 times
And apart from all of the above resources, one trusts that the human brain is well capable of learning another language. If you learned English, you can learn another language. You already know probably 30,000+ words; what are a few thousand more?

Spanish is easy on you in this regard because the vast majority of the vocabulary is either obviously similar to English (computadora=computer) or has a cognate which serves as a handy mental crutch (mano "hand" > manual, or mar "ocean" > marine).

So you take a class and do your best to immerse yourself in the new language. Read books, watch TV, listen to podcasts. attempt to communicate with native speakers. Again, Spanish is easier than most languages because it's not too hard for most Americans to find native speakers, including native speakers who are willing to put up with your beginner Spanish because their English may not be that perfect either. Take it from me, it's a lot easier than learning German or a Scandinavian language, whose native speakers all try to switch to English on you the moment you open your mouth.

Old 01-18-2024, 03:41 PM

14,354 posts, read 20,424,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
OP, since you know generally what the preacher is saying in Spanish.....
I don't.
-------------------------
It's beyond my comprehension. If I was given 250 words in Spanish and asked to learn their meaning in English and how to pronounce them. I could not remember all of that.

And then try to speak a sentence or two most of the words in a sentence might not be in those 250 words.
That might require a few thousand much less a few hundred.

Take this simple sentence: Hi Jose do you have a computer? Hi Jose is good but the rest requires learning and memorizing 5 other words. For a hour long sermon likely looking at an unlimited vocabulary unless the speaker is not fluent in the language and the people hearing it know it's broken Spanish but they are afraid to tell the person.

Old 01-18-2024, 03:46 PM

23,875 posts, read 10,243,014 times
Quote:

Thanks.
Without trying to be funny - one word at a time and grammar. Then come the sublime meanings and sarcasm .

Old 01-18-2024, 04:12 PM

14,182 posts, read 11,426,387 times
Quote:
I don't.
It's beyond my comprehension. If I was given 250 words in Spanish and asked to learn their meaning in English and how to pronounce them. I could not remember all of that.

And then try to speak a sentence or two most of the words in a sentence might not be in those 250 words.

Take this simple sentence: Hi Jose do you have a computer? Hi Jose is good but the rest requires learning and memorizing 5 other words. For a hour long sermon likely looking at an unlimited vocabulary unless the speaker is not fluent in the language and the people hearing it know it's broken Spanish but they are afraid to tell the person.
You could remember that words if they were used in context. I repeat—you speak English. How do you think you learned all those words?

Maybe you’re not a visual learner and seeing a list of words and translations means nothing to you. But I guarantee that if you were face to face with a Spanish speaker who told you the names of items and patiently repeated them, asked you to give him one or another of group of objects, and otherwise used a natural learning method, you would learn the words.

If you were incapable of doing this, you wouldn’t be speaking English today.

Old 01-18-2024, 04:43 PM

7,932 posts, read 7,276,082 times
Quote:
I don't.

OK, so the rote prayers are in English but the free-form sermon is in Spanish. Would be easier if it was the other way around. In my church some of the songs and verses of songs are in Spanish, and sometimes some of the rote prayers are said in Latin (depending on the pastor). Knowing the context makes it easier to understand.

Is there are way of approaching the preacher to ask him ahead of time for a general synopsis of the sermon? He might say, "today I'll be talking about a movie I saw that had a message of forgiveness, and tying that in with some of the things Jesus said". That way you would at least know the context and maybe catch some of the English cognates.

Old 01-18-2024, 06:24 PM

4,350 posts, read 4,190,031 times
You may find it useful and interesting to read and listen to the Bible in Spanish. When I wanted to reread the Bible and brush up on my French, I easily found an online version that I could read and listen to on my phone. Learning some of your favorite verses can help you build up familiarity with the vocabulary that the pastor may use in his sermons. When you already know the gist of what it is that you are reading, it makes it easier to pick up new words in context.

The Google translate app is also useful for helping you with pronunciation. You know that you are pronouncing expressions correctly when you speak into the app in Spanish and the correct English translation comes back. I wouldn't rely on it for much more than that and vocabulary. There is a lot that machine translations still can't do reliably.

Buena suerte!

Old 01-18-2024, 06:46 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,548 posts, read 57,460,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
You may find it useful and interesting to read and listen to the Bible in Spanish. ...

Buena suerte!
Load up a parallel Bible with audio
learn and practice familiar verses / phrases / books (Mark and Luke are pretty good / conversational)
Listen to Spanish Cartoons, news, and music.

Find a friend (señorita ?, be sure to clear this with spouse!, it helps if she can teach you to cook (and shop at the local tienda de conveniencia)

Attend Small group meetings that are in Spanish (more time to ask questions and get coached)
Volunteer in the Spanish community / family events
Adopt / host a Spanish speaking exchange student

Find an immersion course (Guatemala has been preferred, and is still inexpensive and safe (in areas)) Go for a month, travel for a month, return to school for a month before coming home. (Or don't come home )
Go on a mission trip (with no English speakers)

Purpose to listen / exchange your 'weak' spanish whenever possible.

Advice from Stepka (Teacher / homeschool mom (took her kids on a one yr RTW) now an eternal member... RIP)
https://www.youtube.com/c/SpanishWithPaul
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education