Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2024, 06:25 PM

121 posts, read 18,862 times

Advertisements

I read a lot what people write in forums and stuff like that and I often come across mistakes made by natives. I’m not referring to grammar mistakes or using the wrong verb, which would be more understandable but rather wrong spelling.
Below some of them:

1 -Than/then
The error that tops the list by far is "then" for "than" or vice versa.
It is quite obvious when one reads things like "I have more support then I ever thought possible", that the correct should be "than" instead of "then".

2 - Complement/ compliment
Another frequent error is "complement" for "compliment" or vice versa. If you're aware of the pronunciation, you’ll understand why.

3 - South instead of sour
Another common mistake. Although I'm not totally sure that it is. In my opinion "sour" has a total different meaning than "south", but I don’t know if people use it that way on purpose.

4 - Masturbation
This sensitive word, unlike the ones above, doesn't confuse it with other but with itself. It is very common to find it wrongly written.

5- Effect/affect

Another error is one that pops up often enough.

Other words don’t come to mind right now, but I'm sure there're more. Please, feel free to add to the list with your contribution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2024, 07:54 AM

7,932 posts, read 7,276,082 times
I'm not aware of any south/sour confusion. Perhaps it's autocorrect? I'd like to see an example of how people confuse South and Sour.

I know several avid fishermen who are proud master baiters. But they keep to themselves, standing alone with their poles.

One of my favorites is "would of" for "would have".

I often stumble over effect/affect and I've looked it up more than once. I can't seem to come up with an effective mnemonic to remember the rule, though.

Old 01-26-2024, 08:07 AM

9,337 posts, read 13,912,847 times
Affect-> Act on.

Effect -> the End result.

Old 01-26-2024, 08:28 AM

12,577 posts, read 8,805,520 times
Haven't heard of south/sour either. A couple of the others seem like typos or autocorrect issues. Autocorrect causes a lot of issues, some of them hilarious. Affect/effect however I've actually seen people at work get into arguments over.

I don't understand how people keep making the "would of" for "would've." It's such a common error that even when I was a kid, the English textbooks pointed it out specifically.

The one that I see a lot today is leaving out the verb "to be." As in "the clothes needs washed" instead of "the clothes need to be washed."

Old 01-26-2024, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Affect-> Act on.

Effect -> the End result.
Thanks, I'll see if that sticks.

The one I use for practice/practise (American/British) is "we practice from C to shining C". The Brits use one spelling for the noun and the other for the verb. Yikes. (I see C-D's spell-checker doesn't like the British spelling at all!)

Old 01-26-2024, 04:59 PM

121 posts, read 18,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I'm not aware of any south/sour confusion. Perhaps it's autocorrect? I'd like to see an example of how people confuse South and Sour.
In my opinion, both words have very different meanings.
Sour: bitter
South: is just a cardinal point (south; north, east, west).
I understand that "sour" can also be used figuratively: John thought that Sean had betrayed him and their relationship went sour

But saying "south" instead of "sour" sounds like a mistake to me.
Obviously, I'm not a native English speaker. So you can instruct me on that.

Old 01-26-2024, 05:24 PM

22,226 posts, read 47,150,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Antonio View Post

3 - South instead of sour
Another common mistake. Although I'm not totally sure that it is. In my opinion "sour" has a total different meaning than "south", but I don’t know if people use it that way on purpose.
not at all common!
Are you hearing that in Argentina? because it is not heard here in the US.

Old 01-26-2024, 05:27 PM

Quote:
I understand that "sour" can also be used figuratively: John thought that Sean had betrayed him and their relationship went sour

Oh, I see. For a relationship to "go south" is about the same as "go sour". The direction of South is "down" so if something declines or gets worse, it can be said to "go south".

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us...20went%20south

Old 01-26-2024, 05:32 PM

9,167 posts, read 4,958,899 times
Quote:

South......as in their relationship went south (sour). down the tubes, over, fini. Generally, it means things went downhill.

The rest is Greek to me.

Old 01-26-2024, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post

The one that I see a lot today is leaving out the verb "to be." As in "the clothes needs washed" instead of "the clothes need to be washed."
That's regional and considered non-standard in the Northeast.

https://ygdp.yale.edu/phenomena/needs-washed

You may be encountering it more, or perceiving that it's more common today, because more people are speaking/publishing/broadcasting without professional media gatekeepers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education