Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2024, 05:27 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times

Advertisements

Sure, the consequence should only be expulsion. Not arrest, as might be the result in the real world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2024, 11:28 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,041,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Sure, the consequence should only be expulsion. Not arrest, as might be the result in the real world.
But expulsion does not give students an opportunity to learn from their mistakes, nor does it differentiate between the habitual cheater vs somebody who made a one time lapse in judgment.

Old 02-15-2024, 06:56 PM

271 posts, read 57,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
But expulsion does not give students an opportunity to learn from their mistakes, nor does it differentiate between the habitual cheater vs somebody who made a one time lapse in judgment.
I've never heard around here that a student has been expulsed for cheating on an exam. Yes, he was postponed in the test, but still at the end of the year he could pass that subject, if the other grades were good enough. Of course, that also depends on the teacher and how severe or tolerant he/she was.

Old 02-15-2024, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Antonio View Post
I've never heard around here that a student has been expulsed for cheating on an exam. Yes, he was postponed in the test, but still at the end of the year he could pass that subject, if the other grades were good enough. Of course, that also depends on the teacher and how severe or tolerant he/she was.
I think in college the official punishment for cheating is expulsion. How strictly enforced it is, I don’t know.

Old 02-15-2024, 07:08 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Are there colleges, other than the military Academies-and they even shade it a bit, that expel students for cheating?

Old 02-15-2024, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Are there colleges, other than the military Academies-and they even shade it a bit, that expel students for cheating?
Both of the colleges I graduated from (undergrad and grad school) officially expelled people for cheating but I don’t know how strictly they enforced it since I don’t know of anybody that was caught cheating.

Old 02-15-2024, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Both of the colleges I graduated from (undergrad and grad school) officially expelled people for cheating but I don’t know how strictly they enforced it since I don’t know of anybody that was caught cheating.
I did have a classmate in grad school who was caught plagiarizing, which also officially resulted in expulsion. But he insisted he didn’t know it wasn’t allowed, so eventually the professor agreed just to give him a 0 for that one assignment. He was angry since it resulted in him getting a C- for that class. He was a foreign student and didn’t know the word “plagiarize”. When I used that word he thought it meant something sexual and he got mad at me. Good thing he wasn’t a woman or I would have been expelled for sexual harassment.

Old 02-15-2024, 08:48 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,033,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
My son served on the honor board where they investigated and recommended punishment, including expulsion to the leadership. One of them he told about, he said anyone dumb enough to cheat on an exam that easy deserved to be expelled.

Quote:
I did have a classmate in grad school who was caught plagiarizing, which also officially resulted in expulsion. But he insisted he didn’t know it wasn’t allowed, so eventually the professor agreed just to give him a 0 for that one assignment. He was angry since it resulted in him getting a C- for that class. He was a foreign student and didn’t know the word “plagiarize”. When I used that word he thought it meant something sexual and he got mad at me. Good thing he wasn’t a woman or I would have been expelled for sexual harassment.
I think in some cultures, they simply don't see an issue with cheating, plagiarizing, copying, etc.

Old 02-16-2024, 06:40 PM

271 posts, read 57,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I think in some cultures, they simply don't see an issue with cheating, plagiarizing, copying, etc.
I don't know if it's about they don't see an issue. But it is true that there is a culture of celebrating those who misbehave. It is quite common among young people that the most popular are those who have bad behavior. They are interpreted as transgressors, reveals, anti-system.
On the contrary, those who follow the rules, have good behavior, are labeled as domesticated, resigned.
Perhaps it's necessary to investigate from that side to understand the differences.

Old 02-18-2024, 07:50 AM

7,324 posts, read 4,118,369 times
Quote:
I did have a classmate in grad school who was caught plagiarizing, which also officially resulted in expulsion. But he insisted he didn’t know it wasn’t allowed, so eventually the professor agreed just to give him a 0 for that one assignment. He was angry since it resulted in him getting a C- for that class. He was a foreign student and didn’t know the word “plagiarize”.
It's the same with AI now. My daughter has explained to her class that AI isn't allowed. She has a program to run the papers through to spot AI. Of course, the kids claim they didn't know it was plagiarism.

AI is the new way to cheat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education