U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 07:19 AM

15 posts, read 87,610 times

Advertisements

I am unsure how N. Carolina and Michigan schools rank but I am conifdant that the Ontario curriculum followed by the Oakville schools is 1 to 1 1/2 years behind the US AMerican curriculum. I know families who've compared it to curriculums in 3 states. If you are intent on using Oakville, ON schools you can easily go on-line and pull up the individual school's EQAO scores in an attempt to find the better schools. THough how they perform on the standardized test does not reveal the fact that their curriculum is behind the US curriculum. HOpe that helps. COntact the American WOman's Club of Oakville for additional information and the key contact there will direct you to one of us who has investigated the Halton/Oakville schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 10:02 AM

24 posts, read 63,943 times
Wink nyc schools change alot of that

My eldest is attending Public school in NYC. She attends 6 days every other week since her grades are the highest level, a 4, in Math and Science. She also was offered to take a music class as enrichement. We have been gradually looking for an middle school for her for 2010No child that does not pass the ELA goe on to the upper grade. This means there are 12 year olds in her class.Everyone hates this cocept except me. I love it because as a second year college student I relalize how the PS scchools in NYC failed me.At least now! Yesnow! Needs are addressed, meaning extra test time is offered for learning disabled students. Speech, Esl OT, PT and counseling is offered. We have a parent to go to to mediate problems.ii m happy there but my classmates hate the dogma of all the test prep.

Old 07-11-2009, 02:31 AM

1 posts, read 2,697 times
I found this forum looking for the difference in canada and us schools because i will be moving to oakville soon as a 11th grader. I'm a bit scared after reading all of this. And I'm a bit confused too. I thought canada school was actually harder, from what i read from other sites? and i am doing an program called international bachelors so will that make any difference as to the school and how challenging it is?

Old 12-29-2011, 11:56 AM

15 posts, read 87,610 times
Default Canadian schools curriculum is significantly behind USA

We have now returned to the US. During our 3 years in Oakville, Ontario, we found the Canadian/Toronto Public schools' curriculum so far behind the US/Michigan schools that we moved our children to a Canadian Private school (very costly) which follow a curriculum similar to the US. A detailed analysist can be found at Canadian/Ontario vs US Elementary Education, Ontario forum. Unfortunately the Canadian public schools, despite approaching us to indicate how far ahead our children were at that point, were unable to do anything to keep them challenged. Thus we had to move them to the private shcool to make sure they would be on par for our return to the US.

Upon our return, our high schooler has had to do sign ificantly more work to catch up in Math because Canadian schools teach general math, but because she is a good student she has done so. Our other children have thrived because the Canadian private schools provided a US curriculum in math and literature (obviously they had to catch up on some US history!)

We were so pleased with the private schools in Canada. THough we could never recommend the public Ontario schools for ex-pats intending to return to the US.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:44 AM

3 posts, read 1,864 times
Could others please share their experiences in Ontario schools? We live in MN and plan to move to Ontario in the next few years. We have a child in HS, MS and elementary. We are wondering about the quality of education in the Ontario schools. Thanks!

Old 08-17-2013, 07:58 AM

2,350 posts, read 4,258,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I've heard that Canadian education in public schools is better then in US.
Where did you hear that? A university or think tank organization or education research organization producing a peer reviewed paper with normalized and validated research data? Or did you hear it from some lady at the nail salon?

The difference in school performance is greater within a few blocks of two schools in either country than it is between the countries themselves. Compare a low income neighborhood to a higher income neighborhood a mile away in any sity in either country.

"Good schools" usually refers to school performance (is there another metric?); School performance is more related to the students than the schools. (The teachers are "about" the same, the $/student per year is "about" the same; the infrastructure and amenities are "about" the same.) Students from high functioning, usually wealthy, high IQ, English as first language parents usually perform better than ESL kids from 5th grade immigrant low income, low IQ parents.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:19 AM

12,455 posts, read 27,063,999 times
Posters, please note that this is an old thread bumped up by Jazzy Jaz, a brand new poster, asking a different question then the OP. Instead of focusing on the OP, who may or may not respond, how about if we answer Jazzy Jaz's post?

Alternatively, Jazzy Jaz, you will have better responses if you start your own thread as people tend to just read the first page of posts and then comment on whatever strikes their fancy after that, often not realizing that the thread is old or has changed direction.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-25-2013, 06:58 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,560,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
The difference in school performance is greater within a few blocks of two schools in either country than it is between the countries themselves. Compare a low income neighborhood to a higher income neighborhood a mile away in any sity in either country.
That's FAR more true in the US than in Canada. The school system is much more "localized" in the US in terms of funding, salaries, curriculum, etc. than is the case in Canada which is more committed to equity. I If we're looking at outcomes for the typical student, Canada does far better and Canadian students do better on international tests such as PISA. (And it's not just a question of the US having "more poverty" than Canada or Western Europe - what's worse is the US does the least in terms of compensating for poverty in educational outcomes).

Another thing: teaching is a much more respected profession in Canada than in the US. Average salaries in Ontario and Alberta exceed $80,000. They also tend to stay in the profession, the attrition after 5 years is much lower. Teachers' colleges generally do attract decent university students even if they get "mere" B.Ed.'s rather than masters degrees. And in the US the admission standards to most of these so-called graduate programs are kind of a joke.

The OECD even authored a report on education reform in Ontario:

http://www.oecd.org/pisa/pisaproducts/46580959.pdf

So in terms of outcomes, Canada is certainly not "behind" the US.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:10 PM

2,350 posts, read 4,258,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
That's FAR more true in the US than in Canada. The school system is much more "localized" in the US in terms of funding, salaries, curriculum, etc. than is the case in Canada which is more committed to equity.
So the student performance of a ghetto or low income neighborhood or ESL school is "about" the same as in an affluent neighborhood school a mile or two away in the same Canadian city?

Old 08-25-2013, 07:19 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,560,496 times
No but it is far less pronounced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or