U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 07:28 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,561,486 times

Advertisements

OK will some will probably dismiss this as "left-wing" but this is a pretty sober analysis (as it challenges both the liberal defense of mediocrity but also right-wing union-bashing and calls for firing teachers and charter schools etc.):

We could do better than this

And seeing that people have no problem relying on the Fraser Institute for Canadian school rankings...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 07:33 PM

2,350 posts, read 4,259,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
No but it is far less pronounced.

How do you know?

Old 08-25-2013, 07:49 PM

Read the OECD report, for starters.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:56 PM

2,350 posts, read 4,259,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
Read the OECD report, for starters.
I just did.

One thing that stood out was Canada's higher level of educating immigrant children. The report mentions why - and it makes perfect sense. Canada's immigrants are in general, high functioning (Asia, India, Pakistan) whereas many immigrants to the US are low functioning folks from south of the US border.

So, what I'm taking away is Canada's education "machine" is really no better than the US machine but rather it processes higher quality students in the first place.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:00 PM

Also look at the "resilience share" in the other link. Canada comes out well ahead.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:10 PM

And read the report more carefully. It also attributes the success of education reform in Ontario to more equalized funding, more selectivity in teaching recruitment, more professional respect autonomy and respect for teachers, a more decent welfare state, province-wide curricula, etc.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:14 AM

1,229 posts, read 1,322,041 times
I'm just talking out loud here...I went to school in Canada in an area with a large ESL presence. I now live in the US, and have kids in school. My Canadian schooling was poor, even very poor in my opinion. The ESL were kept separate with their own teachers and classes and were only allowed to join the masses once they mastered the language. This part I think was good; they got a much better education that way. I knew many families who hosted ESL students and found it to be a rewarding experience.

Most friends I grew up with in Canada are now married and have children. Few of them went to college or even gave it much thought. It seemed the norm to graduate from HS and find a job. Many of the females I grew up with are now stay-at-home moms or have a work schedule that allows them to spend most of their time with the kids. My best friend and I were married very young and had kids right away. Her kids are teens the same ages as mine. When we visited a few months ago, I asked them where they wanted to go to college. They had no idea, never thought about it. This surprised me because they go to private school and one of them is a senior. This is not a poor demographic and we are also talking about a major metropolitan city. I do know many people who went to college after spending some years at a non-degree trade.

Compare this to where I live in the US. We live in an area where it is the exception not to go to college. It is somewhat rural and for the population there are a large number of private schools serving whatever needs you have - superior athletics, superior academics, a general track graduation in a controlled environment, etc. My kids go to private school and their education far exceeds the private school education of my Canadian friends. Also, it is unusual to see stay at home moms. My only point here is they too went to college and have careers.

From my personal experience, which I realize is narrow because I am just one person, I see differences between the US and Canada beyond just education. The culture is different, their goals are different, the constant message that college is a must is different, and perhaps the priorities are different.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:28 AM

1,580 posts, read 4,126,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
I'm just talking out loud here...I went to school in Canada in an area with a large ESL presence. I now live in the US, and have kids in school. My Canadian schooling was poor, even very poor in my opinion. The ESL were kept separate with their own teachers and classes and were only allowed to join the masses once they mastered the language. This part I think was good; they got a much better education that way. I knew many families who hosted ESL students and found it to be a rewarding experience.

Most friends I grew up with in Canada are now married and have children. Few of them went to college or even gave it much thought. It seemed the norm to graduate from HS and find a job. Many of the females I grew up with are now stay-at-home moms or have a work schedule that allows them to spend most of their time with the kids. My best friend and I were married very young and had kids right away. Her kids are teens the same ages as mine. When we visited a few months ago, I asked them where they wanted to go to college. They had no idea, never thought about it. This surprised me because they go to private school and one of them is a senior. This is not a poor demographic and we are also talking about a major metropolitan city. I do know many people who went to college after spending some years at a non-degree trade.

Compare this to where I live in the US. We live in an area where it is the exception not to go to college. It is somewhat rural and for the population there are a large number of private schools serving whatever needs you have - superior athletics, superior academics, a general track graduation in a controlled environment, etc. My kids go to private school and their education far exceeds the private school education of my Canadian friends. Also, it is unusual to see stay at home moms. My only point here is they too went to college and have careers.

From my personal experience, which I realize is narrow because I am just one person, I see differences between the US and Canada beyond just education. The culture is different, their goals are different, the constant message that college is a must is different, and perhaps the priorities are different.
which Canadian city is this, and which US city are you in now?

Old 08-26-2013, 11:47 AM

1,229 posts, read 1,322,041 times
Then: Vancouver. Now: about 90 mins out of Atlanta.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:55 AM

1,580 posts, read 4,126,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
Then: Vancouver. Now: about 90 mins out of Atlanta.
I agree there's more of that Keep-up-with-the-Joneses attitude in general in the US than Canada (manifest itself with obsession of which suburbs to live in that have the best schools etc etc), but think you're experience will be very different if you were in inner-city Atlanta

interesting story of yours though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or