U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 04:24 PM

86,989 posts, read 102,554,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by total_genius View Post
My brothers son is a straight A Student in High School but when I asked him what his favorite classes were, he said none of them. He said even though most of his friends were like him, and getting A's and B's, the actual time in class and studying were painful and boring..

He is only getting good grades and studying the class material because he wants to keep his parents happy and get into a good college and be successful in life.

I followed up in my question by asking him again if any of the classes he is taking were of interest and he repeated his answer of NO!

What a sad state of affairs. It must be tough for the teachers to speak to kids all day who only pay attention because they want good grades but have no interest in what was being said.

Were you actually interested in the subjects taught at school? How about your kids?
I assume you are talking about high schoolers. I work in a pediatricians office. When I ask younger kids what their favorite subject is, most can't tell me. By high school, most can. I do think we need to learn some things to be a "well rounded" person, even if it is information that is not enticing to us. I work with several docs who seem to have little to no "core knowledge". One example: one dr. had never heard the old saying, "the shoemaker's children don't have shoes." Yet, s/he is a medical school graduate and a board certified pediatrician.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
When you hear a student speaking about a good teacher, it is usually one that finds a way to take an otherwise boring (history, math...)subject and turn it into one that grabs their interest and keeps it.
Actually, there are a lot of people who think history is interesting. There is a whole TV channel devoted to history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by toobusytoday True, but how many people can earn a living with their hobby?
Actually, my DH did. He was always interested in computers, and turned that interest (at a time when computers were still a novelty) into a career.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 03:22 AM

8,567 posts, read 14,801,920 times
Originally Posted by Katiana
Quote:
Actually, my DH did.
I'm not saying that it isn't possible just that it will only be possible for a few.
For example: How many people in LA want to become a movie star yet do something entirely instead just to support themselves?

Old 01-14-2009, 06:54 AM

41,492 posts, read 51,361,282 times
School is boring. If it wasn't it would be called school, it would be called living.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:11 AM

878 posts, read 1,886,549 times
I'm sure a lot of students who are bored at school probably have parents who don't emphasize school work and studying. Instead of engaging their kids about what went on at school, they cart them off to another extracurricular activity, drop them off at a friend's house, or plop them down in front of the television.

My parents always discussed my classes with me, pushed me to do better, and kept my mind occupied at home. This has led me to appreciate learning and education, from grade school through college, and has helped me be successful in life.

What classes did I like in high school? Math, physics, history, just about everything except for reading & writing classes. Of course, my job (just like almost everyone else's I would assume) is 90% reading and writing.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:50 PM

36,607 posts, read 41,886,642 times
Do kids have an interest in what they are being taught in school?

In my experience both as a student and an educator, only if two things are going on:

1. They have been raised in a home environment that has conditioned and encouraged them to be interested in learning and interested in things outside themselves and their own experiences. Kids who are averse to learning overwhelmingly come from families where learning is not valued.

and,

2. The learning opportunities they are presented with are presented in an engaging, creative manner appropriate to the abilities of the learner. Not all teaching is effective teaching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or