Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 06:51 AM

13,252 posts, read 33,429,817 times

Advertisements

My older kids are 23 and 21. My daughter is definately focused and driven, my son is still finding out what he wants to do, fortunately he has a couple more years to figure it out. Both are real bargain hunters and very altruistic. My daughter tutored all through HS and College including at a detention center when she was in college. I found out after that fact that my son had been involved in a charitable organization and done two walk-a-thons at college. He didn't think to tell us! Son was an Eagle scout. Neither child has any name brand clothes unless they bought it at Goodwill.

As for goals, my daughter is now teaching in China but will be home in late August. She is semi-planning to sub for a year while looking around for a state that she would like to live/teach in. She considered the Peace Corps before deciding on China. I would not be suprised if my son chose to do AmeriCorps after College.

I remember being very unsure of a career goal after graduating college. I was lucky a job landed in my lap that I liked. Getting married young to a man that was a bit more motivated was fortunate too because I ended up having three kids and staying home for 20 years to raise them.

My daughters friends that graduated from College with her are all employed,in grad school, or teaching abroad. I think travel is more a motivator for many of the young adults from my kids generation. They want to work so they can afford to study the world, not buy things. While my daughter was in China she had three friends come visit plus my husband, young son and I. I'm not talking about the upscale resort vacations, more the hostel/wild things tours. I'm envious of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 10:29 AM

13,252 posts, read 33,429,817 times
I was thinking about this thread some more while piddling around the house and I started thinking about my goals and dreams as a young adult and now. When I was first out of college a job wasn't a priority, my love life was! Figuring out a way to support ourselves was a priority but a "goal" was not something that happened right away. Just paying the bills was enough. Then my husband decided to go back to college, and I wanted to start a family. He did and then we did! Next goal was to raise the kids to be responsible individuals that have good moral values. So far, so good.

As adults with our kids almost out, we think of things like vacations and saving for retirement and getting our last child into a college that fits him.

Isn't this sort of how life plays out for most people?

Old 07-04-2008, 11:25 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,205,158 times
I learned early in life that John was right.
So I taught myself to live life on a day by day basis.
This way I've also learned to be flexible and adapt my plans to the immediate reality.
Quote:
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
John Lennon

Old 07-04-2008, 05:50 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,671,331 times
I've heard a few dreams from students. One of the most memorable ones is "To marry a rich husband and be a housewife"!

Old 07-04-2008, 06:30 PM

4,500 posts, read 2,840,109 times
I am graduated from faculty of commerce , then I enrolled in institute of theatre arts because I want to be a good writer , I still have a lot of dreams in my life and I can't make it without education , I will continue my studies in spite of my age , I think that education is a key of success.

Old 07-04-2008, 07:35 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,659,793 times
I thnik in thsi changing qworld that stuidents are now coming to the conclusion that whatever career you prusue in college had better pay opfff because college cost have just skyrocketed.Many will be paying off loans for decdes and that means even if you like your work it can lead to financial misery.To many degreees mean rich for about 5% of the graduates and lower middle class for the rest often.

Old 07-04-2008, 07:50 PM
Her

298 posts, read 866,969 times
Apparently "dreams are for rookies"....I have big dreams....and I think many young people do as well but they are stiffled. My dreams have been so severly beated by my parents and sibling that I have almost given up on them myself. When you hear "Something practical!!!! Pick something practical!!!" everyday of your life you become worried about disappointing people. My dad is a big dream basher...no degree is ever good enough for him...so much so im the first to go to college though not a major of my choice. I have no enthusiasm for school and basically am a space waster. At 22, ive given this up and am going to go dream while im alive.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:12 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,112,959 times
I never really had dreams, though I often considered the question about what to do. I had this feeling that whatever job I would like hadn't been invented, yet. Lately, I've decided on what I wanted to do -- a little job of my own, working for myself. I could possibly make more money doing this than working for my current company.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:13 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,112,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Her View Post
Apparently "dreams are for rookies"....I have big dreams....and I think many young people do as well but they are stiffled. My dreams have been so severly beated by my parents and sibling that I have almost given up on them myself. When you hear "Something practical!!!! Pick something practical!!!" everyday of your life you become worried about disappointing people. My dad is a big dream basher...no degree is ever good enough for him...so much so im the first to go to college though not a major of my choice. I have no enthusiasm for school and basically am a space waster. At 22, ive given this up and am going to go dream while im alive.
Do you have an advisor? If you don't know, find out. And, ask about internships in a field that may be of interest to you.

Old 07-05-2008, 05:40 AM

603 posts, read 2,335,522 times
As a high school teacher, I've wondered the opposite: do students today have realistic job goals? Almost every student in my classes, when asked, "what do you plan to do after high school?" answers with, "play professional basketball or football" or "be rich and own my own company". I rarely ever hear a realistic job choice. Most of the ones who answer with professional sports don't even play it in high school but figure they will still get a professional sports contract.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education