U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 02:55 PM
Status: "60th anniversary of the polio vaccine! Hail to Pitt!" (set 10 days ago)

70,043 posts, read 60,607,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
Hardly at all!! I had friends and never had a "bad experience" with bullies or anything.

Our school was very clique-ish and each group pretty much kept to themeselves. At least that was my experience.

My graduating class was almost 600 in an upper-middle class suburbabn town of about 200K at the time (mid-90s).
Same with me, but I still have good memories from high school. I graduated in a class of 458, in a steel town near Pittsburgh. When I went to my 40th reunion last year, one of my friends who I hadn't seen in years said she felt our HS was very cliquey: uptown kids, downtown kids, kids from the "Hill", suburban kids, etc. I didn't notice that, was in my own little world. My best friend from HS did not go to Jr. High with me, we met in HS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 01:47 AM

2,016 posts, read 3,653,665 times
I think I counted junior year 11 girls asked me out, captain of the soccer team a B+ student, very social, yet had a lot of people jealous of my accomplishments. I don't live on the past however as I don't even talk to anyone from my high school, I went to a very well off high school, where I was the only person who actually had to work for what I wanted while as everyone else got $3000 in allowances, mommy and daddy paid their college tuition of $150,000 and bought them a $50,000 Bimmer. I went to college and had a fulltime job, financed my own beater, continued to play collegiate soccer, join the United States Coast Guard Reserve and eventually just became another regular joe in college and another happy but regular joe in life, oh yeah and still working for what I want.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:43 PM

5,954 posts, read 6,891,497 times
I was in a class of approx 190 kids back in 79'. Our HS was a parochial school that served kids from two counties and I lived about 15 miles from school. I made lots of friends in the school, but was only really close friends with people that either lived by me or lived by the school. I had other extracurricular activities (clubs, job, etc) where I spent my evenings and weekends, so I never really hung out with my school friends.

My friendships at school ran across all social levels. I was in good with the average kids, the Deadheads, the smokers, the commuters, etc, but I always exchanged pleasantries with the "in kids" and avoided becoming one of their 'targets'. I wasn't the son of a doctor, lawyer, CEO, etc and I wasn't on any athletic teams, so I found myself most comfortable outside the in crowd. But that time I took the cheerleader to my Junior prom; yeah, that was good.

We went to my 10 year reunion right after our DS was born and I frankly found it funny how the social "levels" had disappeared and everyone was pretty much friendly with everyone else in attendance. I missed the 20 year reunion. Haven't heard about a 30 year event yet. I live about 650 miles from the school now, so I don't know if I'd venture up or not.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:17 PM

909 posts, read 1,974,747 times
Not particularly. But our school was huge, 5000 students. The only way you would be popular (I define: well known as well as liked) would be to join a varsity sport, cheers/poms/majorettes, be an officer in tons of clubs, or place in the top 10th percentile of your class. Or all of the above

Old 07-21-2008, 04:05 PM

3,796 posts, read 5,472,735 times
I went to a high school overseas. Everyone pretty much knew everyone. I was very popular - voted best personality among other stuff. But I think schools on base are much different than what you have here in the states. It's not so hard to know everyone over there.

Old 07-21-2008, 04:08 PM

17,605 posts, read 25,219,069 times
I went to a high school with about 400 people ... 85 in my class. My senior year, I had people asked me when I started going to school there, when in fact, I went to school there from day 1 ...

so was I popular? Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnope!!! It was worse, I was invisible.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:12 PM

18,268 posts, read 3,180,241 times
wow you were asked when you started school there in you SENIOR year?

everyone knew who i was in high school.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:09 PM

634 posts, read 2,179,817 times
I was invisible with the in crowd and jocks/cheerleaders and other popular kids.

Well besides when they forced me to let them copy my homework or told me to shut up when I tried one of the few times to ask a teacher a question.

Throughout high school I stood by myself in the mornings and ate lunch by myself as well. I was a military child so wherever I went I was the new kid and it was so hard to blend in with kids who had known each other for all of their school lives. I wasn't shy, it was just so hard to start up a friendship out of the blue. I didn't play any sports or was in any clubs as I didn't want to spend 3 hours everyday after school in practice. I wanted to work on academics

Instead of hanging out with my peers, I often sided by to my teachers. I decided it wasn't that bad that I wasn't very social as I could set my mind on education without disruptions.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:29 PM

8,267 posts, read 2,228,613 times
I went to a large high school, over 2000 students total, with about 600 in my graduating class.

I wasn't popular.

But it didn't matter then, and matters even less today.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:53 PM

2,031 posts, read 4,367,308 times
I was popular in high school, probably a 9/10 (since everyone else is using a 10pt scale). I played varsity sports, graduated 5/250, partied, chased girls, voted "Best All Around"... I hung out with lots of different "cliques" though, I honestly didn't care. I had groups of friends from honor societies, sports, party friends and sometimes those grouped overlapped. Many posters seem to consider being popular is a bad thing. It isn't necessarily, I would bet many of the world's leaders in politics and business were popular because they have a charisma that draws people in. I do understand though the resentment some would have towards certain "popular" kids because some of the spoiled little rich ones were awful. I wasn't one of them though and generally didn't hang out with them by choice. I'd like to think I was popular because I was generally pretty nice to everyone who was nice to me and I have a diverse set of interests that allows me to relate to others. Those attributes still help me in business today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education