U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 10:29 PM

2 posts, read 23,382 times

Advertisements

my mother needs them to prove she is a citizen since birth certificate cannot be located
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 12:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,560 times
What departments hold the old school records and medical information for over 30 year. I'm having trouble with the spelling of my middle name now in 2010. I was issued a birth certificate with the correct spelling of my name through out school.

cindy

Old 07-16-2010, 12:11 AM

38,691 posts, read 87,796,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
WHERE CAN I FIND THEM? Any suggestions? Thanks!
Vintage record shops.

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

(And yes I know this thread is old, but I still couldn't resist.)

Old 07-16-2010, 06:34 PM

4,698 posts, read 5,997,959 times
The actual school district should have your records. Even though, by law, if asked for them they must freely produce them, don't look for the school system to readily or willingly produce the records. Today, teachers are not allowed to write comments or include information based on their opinion or observations, but in years gone by this was not the case. Many school systems simply do not want former students reading their records due to what may be written in them.

The system should not have destroyed your records. Just a few years ago I was doing some research for a book and was able to obtain school record information (about a deceased family member) from the 1920's and 1930's. The school district wasn't exactly willing and I had to produce documentation of the family connection and permission from the deceased living next of kin. Even after jumping through those hoops, I still had to have my attorney make contact to get action.

Remember, if the documents you wish to view are more than 10 years old they will be hard copy stored somewhere in a basement or storage building. It may take awhile for them to be located.

Old 07-14-2015, 12:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,279 times
I would like to see my elementary school records, I believe that there is some information on them that has haunted me for years. I would like to see what that information is. I went to a public school in Miami Beach from 1958 until 1961 is there a way to see my records.
Who do I contact.

Old 07-14-2015, 01:16 PM

15,537 posts, read 17,255,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leh727 View Post
I would like to see my elementary school records, I believe that there is some information on them that has haunted me for years. I would like to see what that information is. I went to a public school in Miami Beach from 1958 until 1961 is there a way to see my records.
Who do I contact.
I think it is unlikely that records that old are still around. There is no law that says schools must keep them for any set period of time. OTOH, you can contact your old school if it is still in existence and ask about it. It will depend on the state's rules.

http://www2.ed.gov/about/overview/fo...on-records.pdf

Does My Child Have a "Permanent" School Record?

Quote:
When Are They Destroyed?

How long your record is stored varies a great deal from state to state. Some states, like California use terms like “perpetually” or “indefinitely,” meaning, of course, your records are supposed to be kept forever. Other states require schools to keep the record for a specific number of years. In Illinois, for example, your permanent record will be kept for 60 years.

The state laws usually require the schools to store the records safely to make sure no one can access them without authorization and they’re not in danger of being destroyed by water or fire. This means records like yours and mine that are on paper may be in office or warehouse along with thousands of other records. Most records today, however, are probably kept on computers somewhere in the school or with the school district.

In states like Illinois where the records eventually get destroyed, it’s usually done by school officials, and they’re likely shredded or burned.
Quote:
Getting a Record

If you want a permanent record – either yours or your child’s – the first place to start is at the school. Officials there can tell you if the record is at the school and how long it will take for you to get a copy of it. Most likely the school will have a short form for you to fill out and sign when requesting the record. You may be charged a small fee to cover the costs of retrieving and copying the record, too.

If you disagree with something in the record, some states give you the power to challenge it. Again, Illinois is a good example. Parents can challenge any information in the record – except for the student’s grades or history of suspensions or expulsions – if the student is transferring to another school. Also, parents may write an explanation about the disputed information and have that statement made a part of the permanent record.

Old 12-10-2015, 01:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,101 times
I need to find my element school records 1959 - 1960 Wallace School in Hoboken NJ

Old 12-10-2015, 01:44 PM

9,060 posts, read 16,547,054 times
^ Did you read the posts in the thread 1st?

Contact the Hoboken NJ School District Records Department would be a good place to start.

Latest School District News | Hoboken Board of Education

Old 12-13-2015, 12:24 AM

3,110 posts, read 4,755,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eleanor valenzuela View Post
my mother needs them to prove she is a citizen since birth certificate cannot be located
If your mother was baptized as a baby, those records could be used. The Catholic Church, for example, was one of the few institutions that kept records in many rural areas. This was especially useful if a person was delivered at home by a midwife as many rural children were pre-1950.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:29 AM

4 posts, read 8,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I think it is unlikely that records that old are still around. There is no law that says schools must keep them for any set period of time. [/url]
I really wish people would stop saying things they haven't even taken 30 seconds to confirm via any major search engine. There certainly are laws regarding school record keeping, and have been since 1950.

Federal Records Act
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or