Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 03:27 AM

32 posts, read 70,492 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I have got some words I want to use when describing myself. What do you think about them? Are they good? Or I should use some other words and phrases?

1)Communicative,
2)Excellent team-player,
3)Result-oriented,
4)Responsible,
5)Hard-working,
6)Flexible,
7)Disciplined,
8)Communicative
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 05:53 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,983,568 times
What do you mean by communicative? You have it listed twice.

The others are good.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:21 AM

1,747 posts, read 3,012,414 times
Are you looking for words for a resume or application of some sort? You may want to consider adding "dependable" to the list. One other quick note: when making a list, I think many might agree it looks better if you leave a space between the number and the bullet point.

1) blahblah
2) yadda yadda

Good luck with whatever you're compiling this list for!

Old 07-24-2008, 07:24 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times
Are you really describing yourself?
Or are you just trying to sell yourself?

Anywayz, I can't comment myself because I don't know you personally.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
What do you mean by communicative? You have it listed twice.
oops

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
What do you mean by communicative?
By communicative I mean that I am the one who easily get into contact with people. I am not a morose type.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelly Nomad View Post
whatever you're compiling this list for!
It's a resume, of course.
I also think spaces are the must.

Doesn't "dependable" mean about the same that "responsible"?

Old 07-24-2008, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Or are you just trying to sell yourself?
I am trying to sell myself. It's a common thing to see some kind of "personal qualifications" field in russian resumes where you have to list your best features.

Quote:

Anywayz, I can't comment myself because I don't know you personally.
Well, I am actually interested in the right way of using this words. Maybe I do some minor mistake putting the words that are not often used when decribing a man in resume.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:23 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times
Originally Posted by oops
Quote:
Well, I am actually interested in the right way of using this words. Maybe I do some minor mistake putting the words that are not often used when decribing a man in resume.
In that case I'd use short examples (from previous job experiences and such) that exhibit the trait instead of just listing words to describe yourself.
But that probably would make your resume resemble a novel instead of a concise resume.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:37 AM

1,226 posts, read 3,645,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oopsIn that case I'd use short examples (from previous job experiences and such) that exhibit the trait instead of just listing words to describe yourself.
But that probably would make your resume resemble a novel instead of a concise resume.
I think that is a good idea. That is how we were tought in school to write our resumes- sell yourself by putting yourself in a "context", preferably refering to previous job experince.
Oops, I think the words are good, but like Tricky D said, try to put them into sentences. It is easier to "understand" someone by reading sentences than by reading words. Plus it stands out more. Good luck

Old 07-24-2008, 11:41 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,372,565 times
Be sure you have clear examples of how those words describe you before you sit down for an interview. We've tied up more than a few applicants by asking them to tell us how they are "result-oriented".

Also, keep in mind that those particular words are so overused on resumes that they won't have any power with the person looking at it. I agree with those that say to use them in context rather than letting them hang out there by themselves. That list isn't going to give an interviewer any reason to call you, since everyone else also has a resume with those words on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education