U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 12:48 PM

1,286 posts, read 2,645,456 times

Advertisements

Can someone tell me why the USA doesn't require Basic Accounting for EVERYONE? Why isnt every single school board out there pushing or already have Accounting? I am talking about starting in middle school level classes.

The one thing that mends this world together it accounting. It doesn't matter if you are in China, Africa or the US, you still need to know how to count your money.

There is absolutely no excuse for it. And if it is too difficult to teach children how to account for money. Then why don't High Schools require it? And any G.E.D.'s? How the hell is a drop out supposed to make it when they cant even balance their check book?

What is pushed these days? science, english, literature, math, history. Is there anything else that doesn't fall into those categories?

Can someone explain to me why there isnt an uproar from the community? Why faculty and school boards haven't taken there own inititives? Why states haven't mandated it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 01:13 PM

193 posts, read 720,690 times
I know it's not required across the board yet, but many schools do now have a required life skills class that includes budgeting and accounting. My school for one is implementing an accounting/budgeting class for middle school students this year.

The minimum I would suggest for people that would like to see it in their schools, would be to offer their services as a volunteer teacher for a seminar, or series of classes.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:24 PM

25,165 posts, read 48,455,836 times
Like I said in previous posts forget all the sequals to Algebra class and get in a basics of accounting and finance class early on in junior high.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:29 PM

12,050 posts, read 16,792,560 times
Because it should be common sense? I guess should be are the operative words, there. :P

At least that's what I got out of all the mindless basic accounting units I got in elementary and middle school math classes and high school AP econ.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:44 PM

4,357 posts, read 8,005,077 times
Maybe I'm reading into this too much... but when I think accounting/financing - I'm thinking debt/assets, balance sheets, depreciation, options, and subjects that are more business based. Of course, I guess that can all be related to one's check book and credit (and there's were you'll confuse people... credit and debt); but isn't accounting/finance a bit too advanced when we are talking about people that can't even handle their own money?

I do remember a math class that taught you how to balance your check book and work with simple interest. However... the majority of that was taught by my parents.

To me, this is a very simple concept. I'm not sure school is the only vehicle to learn this...is it?

Old 08-19-2008, 06:17 PM

6,585 posts, read 22,881,781 times
I took an accounting class in high school. In fact it was the class I was sitting in when they announced over the PA that President Reagan had been shot. It was a great class. Very helpful and was a small business point of view, not personal accounting. When I went off to college and took Accounting 101 we covered in 3 weeks what we covered all year in the high school class. Ha!

I had personal finance in Home & Family Living in high school. This was our budgeting assignment - You have $1 million dollars to start off your adult life. You need to buy a house, car, etc. How do you budget it? Soooooo realistic. Not!

Old 08-19-2008, 06:21 PM

43,566 posts, read 52,749,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
I do remember a math class that taught you how to balance your check book and work with simple interest. However... the majority of that was taught by my parents.

To me, this is a very simple concept. I'm not sure school is the only vehicle to learn this...is it?

That's a good point. I would think most kids learn about money management from their parents. Not necessarily formally (though they should), but by watching their habits. Just like anything else.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:09 PM

2,349 posts, read 3,928,350 times
That would be that subject called math.

I see no reason to have a specific class to teach accounting which is basically math but with dollar signs.

I think teaching micro/macro economics would be much better.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:17 PM

2,838 posts, read 9,043,740 times
This is something that parents should be teaching their children (along with sex ed and a host of other things that schools really should not be responsible for). Since they're apparently not, though, or maybe the parents are clueless themselves, you're right, there should be some financial savvy type courses offered in high school. Maybe in place of calculus (the only "D" I ever got...).

Old 08-19-2008, 10:32 PM

48,516 posts, read 84,021,758 times
I'd be satisfied if they just went back to learnign how to make change.Can't believe the number of high school studfents that can make simple change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education