Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 08:14 AM

185 posts, read 574,643 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any experience via their childs school with this? I'd like to know which schools to avoid!

CNN) -- More than 200,000 children were spanked or paddled in U.S. schools during the past school year, human rights groups reported Wednesday.

"Every public school needs effective methods of discipline, but beating kids teaches violence, and it doesn't stop bad behavior," wrote Alice Farmer, the author of a joint report from Human Rights Watch and the American Civil Liberties Union. "Corporal punishment discourages learning, fails to deter future misbehavior and at times even provokes it."

Corporal punishment in schools remains legal in 21 U.S. states and is used
frequently in 13: Missouri, Kentucky, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Tennessee and Florida, according to data received from the Office for Civil Rights at the U.S. Department of Education and cited in the report.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 08:19 AM

1,495 posts, read 3,713,798 times
When I head about this report on the news, I thought back to my junior high days. I remember Mr. White, a math teacher, had a wooden paddle with holes in it. I can remember being paddled a few times. boy, have times changed . .

Old 08-20-2008, 08:21 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,918,965 times
So if violence begets violence, why put criminals in prison where there is nothing but violence? I say good for the teachers who did this.

My parents spanked me as a child (okay bad example ) but it's all in the "delivery". Over excessive punishment is not good but if you need to give a child a spanking to keep them from being a$$es then it should allowed

Old 08-20-2008, 08:23 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,053,477 times
While it may still be legal in NC, keep in mind that most local school districts do not allow it.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:30 AM

57 posts, read 245,631 times
Quote:
When I head about this report on the news, I thought back to my junior high days. I remember Mr. White, a math teacher, had a wooden paddle with holes in it. I can remember being paddled a few times. boy, have times changed . .
I remember this as well. I would prefer a child went to a school where it was still in use... seems a touch of discipline is missing these days... boy am I going to get heat for this!

Old 08-20-2008, 08:47 AM

185 posts, read 574,643 times
If you are unable to reason with a child or put the effort into working out the issues with the childs behaviour then you simply should not be in the teaching profession.
I am a parent who does not use violence against my children and they are beautifully behaved, all it takes is thought and positive influence,not the quickest easiest route which is what the violence of corporal punishment is.......ummmm could this be turned into an argument of Americas use of war without trying to negotiate first ummmmmmm I'll save that for another day.
Anyway another telling issue in the report is the following quote: (from CNN)
"""In addition, special education students with mental or physical disabilities were more likely to receive corporal punishment,"""

I believe teachers who use corporal punishment are not up to their job and the work it takes to guide children and influence them on the right paths. Other issues the report raises are that it is often done because the school afford the more sensible options which is disgusting.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:48 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,230,159 times
I do believe in corporal punishment, ...but from the parents, not the school. I just never liked the idea of anyone else physically disciplining my son. Thankfully, that particular issue never came up. His elementary school principal did spank, but said he would only do it if the parents' gave permission. I think that position was reasonable. Schools desperately need to be able to exercise discipline, but again, corporal punishment by someone other than the parent makes me uncomfortable. Just my .02.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:54 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,594,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelark View Post
Anyone have any experience via their childs school with this? I'd like to know which schools to avoid!

CNN) -- More than 200,000 children were spanked or paddled in U.S. schools during the past school year, human rights groups reported Wednesday.

"Every public school needs effective methods of discipline, but beating kids teaches violence, and it doesn't stop bad behavior," wrote Alice Farmer, the author of a joint report from Human Rights Watch and the American Civil Liberties Union. "Corporal punishment discourages learning, fails to deter future misbehavior and at times even provokes it."

Corporal punishment in schools remains legal in 21 U.S. states and is used
frequently in 13: Missouri, Kentucky, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Tennessee and Florida, according to data received from the Office for Civil Rights at the U.S. Department of Education and cited in the report.
If you live in one of the states listed, as I do, I highly recommend that you check out the data supplied. I think you might be surprised.

I discovered that out of 382 districts in Texas with data reported that ALL data was in increments of 5. Does that mean that only 5 at a time recieved corporal punishment? Or does it mean the numbers are not accurate?

When added up, the total number reported was 21,440 which is less than half what the human rights organization reports it says - 49,197. Where does their number come from?

I discovered that one tiny district reportedly had 1160 incidents of corporal punishment. They only have an enrollment of about 3200 students in the entire district, which only has 8 campuses total. So, we are to believe that just under half of their student body has been subjected to corporal punishment? Or that the upper grades have received numerous each?

It seems we can't even take 'facts' as facts anymore. This report holds zero credibility as far as I am concerned.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:04 AM

78 posts, read 198,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
If you live in one of the states listed, as I do, I highly recommend that you check out the data supplied. I think you might be surprised.

I discovered that out of 382 districts in Texas with data reported that ALL data was in increments of 5. Does that mean that only 5 at a time recieved corporal punishment? Or does it mean the numbers are not accurate?

When added up, the total number reported was 21,440 which is less than half what the human rights organization reports it says - 49,197. Where does their number come from?

I discovered that one tiny district reportedly had 1160 incidents of corporal punishment. They only have an enrollment of about 3200 students in the entire district, which only has 8 campuses total. So, we are to believe that just under half of their student body has been subjected to corporal punishment? Or that the upper grades have received numerous each?

It seems we can't even take 'facts' as facts anymore. This report holds zero credibility as far as I am concerned.
The number is half because the human rights orgs count each cheek.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:44 AM

52 posts, read 142,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
So if violence begets violence, why put criminals in prison where there is nothing but violence? I say good for the teachers who did this.

My parents spanked me as a child (okay bad example ) but it's all in the "delivery". Over excessive punishment is not good but if you need to give a child a spanking to keep them from being a$$es then it should allowed
It's always interesting that individuals who promote spanking were also spanked as a child. Not sure I've ever met someone who spanks but was never spanked, but I've met many who were spanked and then chose not to spank their children. Seems that violence DOES beget violence.

The violence in prisons is not from the officers by and large, it's by other offenders. Where else would you like to see violent offenders placed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education