Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2008, 09:45 PM

38 posts, read 79,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
I agree with this post. And this is exactly what I suggested to the mom. I thought if parents were asked to sit with her child with no peanut products in their lunches that would solve the problem of him not having enough kids to sit with.
I didn't get to and wanted to thank eevee for the willingness to pack a safe lunch if a food allergic parent asked. Not all parents would do that. So I do thank you!

Also, thank you for your support of banning extra treats. Again, some are not willing to do this and if you ever read any threads elsewhere regarding this you would again see why I hesitate to post.

So thank YOU for your willingness to also compromise and find a middle ground.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:50 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,347,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsop View Post
My school is not peanut free, but my son's classroom is. He also sits at a peanut free table. Luckily for my son, unlike momofjandl's son, he does not have to sit alone. However, only children with allergies can sit at this table. He has 3 other children in his grade with allergies, so he does at least get to socialize.

I wish, wish, wish my school would not serve peanut products on the school menu. I know that is not likely to happen anytime soon, so I do not ask. (Others have tried before me. While I believe somewhere in the future they will no longer serve peanut butter, it's not a reality right now). If they did remove peanut butter from the menu, kids could still bring it in for lunch.

My school is rather large and our district is the largest in our state. They would never go for a complete peanut ban, and honestly I understand in a school and district our size it would be unfeasible.

I would probably prefer they set aside an area for those with peanut products. Although my son has other kids at his table, none of them are his classmates. Socialization is so important for children, and being separated really does limit their chances for socialization. They are the only kids who are separated from their peers on a daily basis, and believe me, it HURTS them both emotionally and socially.

Unfortuntely, I know my school would not go for that either. But we learn to pick our battles.

ETA: I wish they would not do food celebrations in the classroom. Disregarding the allergy for a moment, as my son's teacher last year went out of her way to keep unsafe food from entering the classroom,(though not always succesful I might add), the amount of junk at the classroom parties was unreal! I mean platters full of cookies, donuts, brownies, chips, cheese doodles, candy, cupcakes. ALL that food for just one 45 minute classroom party! The kids plates were piled high with all that junk. Really, it was quite disgusting.
Why don't you do as another poster and I suggested to momtojandl and ask your kids teacher for help recruiting seatmates for your child?

Trust me, my son won't eat PB. And frankly, I don't think anything in his lunch would prevent him from sitting at the Peanut free table.

Peanut free doesn't mean "you have to be allergic to peanuts to sit here" I think plenty of people would be able to send in a lunch that their child could eat with your child. There is no reason for a child not to sit with some of his classmates during lunch.

You could probably write a letter to the parents explaining the situation and I believe that some would be good enough to listen.

To me there's no difference between the school serving peanuts on the menu and kids bringing it in from home. You probably wouldn't let your kid eat the school lunch even if they took peanuts out of the menu, would you?

Old 09-16-2008, 09:58 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,347,484 times
[quote=mrstewart;5299557]
Quote:

For some reason the way your quotes are posted, it looks as if I wrote something I didn't...It looks like I wrote the post but actually sususushi wrote it...

I just wanted to clear that up Thanks!
YIKES!

Sorry, I have NOOOOO idea how the hell that happened. I don't know why I sometimes have a problem with this quote thing. That is def. a glitch in this system because there should be no way to alter a quote from someone else.

Really, sorry I don't know how the hell I did that.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:01 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,244,003 times
[quote=mommytotwo;5300026]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post

YIKES!

Sorry, I have NOOOOO idea how the hell that happened. I don't know why I sometimes have a problem with this quote thing. That is def. a glitch in this system because there should be no way to alter a quote from someone else.

Really, sorry I don't know how the hell I did that.
No problem...I reported it to a mod because when i tried to use the quote option it did the same thing

They fixed it but it looks like it is back!

Also, the wait time between posts came up as having to wait 400 seconds...that is a friggin lifetime

Old 09-16-2008, 10:23 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,999,266 times
Hi everyone

My wife contacted our local school district (East Grand Forks MN) and there is one kid in the district attm with peanut allergies. What their policy is (and at this time it seems reasonble to us)....is there are no snacks and no peanuts in the classroom. At lunch...there is a peanut free table and anyone (provided they dont have peanuts or course) can sit there with the kid who is allergic. It is monitored (our district is small). Any kid can bring whatever for lunch (peanuts included) and peanut butter is served at times on the school menu but they are cutting back. All kids are expected to wash their hands before and after lunch.

It seems reasonable to us attm...

Dan

Old 09-17-2008, 06:55 AM

3,663 posts, read 8,662,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
I apologize in advance if this is too long....but I feel many parents with allergic kids dont know about treatments out there.

No treatments is also what we heard too from our pediatrician, who is a very excellent young doctor. Also my neice is married to a pediiatrician too. They both know nothing or very little about it. It is not FDA approved and still considered experimental even after 30 years+ of U.S. use.

We happened to hear about it at my wife's work where a co-worker mentioned a friend of theirs kid was going to get treatments for his allergies at some clinic in Wisconsin. Did some research and there is one place in LaCrosse that was started by a doctor (Dr. Morris) and he found a Allergy Associated Inc of LaCrosse which is now a full clinic with about a staff of 5 speciality doctors all who help patients. The original doctor there studied the use of sublingual immunothology done in Europe over the past 30 years. Basically traditional allergy shots dont work given in the arms (like ones given for environmental allergies such as grass, etc) as too much of the allergen would be required to be effective and the dosage of the allergen could be too much and cause reaction in a patient.
Through studies of how they did it in Europe and through continued rigorous university studies and testing done now, they developed a research proven method that can help some patients reduce the severity of their allergic reactions. It may not "cure" them of the allergy but at least reduce the severity so that it is not life threatening. Each kid is different and for those with such severe allergic reactions even the small portions of allergens given in these drops are too much.

This method involves placing drop containing very very small portions of each allergen the person is allergic too (in our case milk eggs and peanuts) all mixed into one vial. We have another vial containing his environmental allergies. We give him one drop 3 times a day into the mouth under the tongue. Our doctor said there is nerve (or whatever you call it) under the tongue in the back that is the sensory for foods entering the body.

The allergy associates main clinic is in LaCrosse WI and they see patients from about 2 years old and up through teens and even adults. We had the initial blood work done when our son was 1 1/2 yrs old locally at our local clinic as we suspected he was allergic to milk and eggs due to past reactions (hives, eczema, etc to cheese and whole milk). At age 2 we went down to the special clinic for blood work to be tested and it came back high for peanuts. Each 6 months we go back and they test his blood to see his rating or IgE score. If there has been improvement they will increase the dosage of the allergens in the vial just a little bit. The goal is over time (usually 5-7 years) that his body would have gotten tolerant of some of the allergens and thus he could eat something with milk products or an egg or a handful of peanuts with no threat for a reaction at all. So we have been doing this for 1 1/2 yrs now and we go down next month for an update.

You can google allergy associates of lacrosse...but I just did and see their website is down attm...but it is truly a place to look into even if you live way far away. We met people from Texas...Michigan....west coast and east coast there. Many hotels in the area have special rates for allergy patients and families.

Sublingual Immunotherapy "Allergy Drops" Continue to Gain Credibility

Dan
I go to one of the best allegist in MN , he has been in "The Best Doctors of MN" magazine for several years. He is not a young new Doctor and he sits on the Allergy board of MN. He told me a few years ago that there has been "attempts" at a treatment for food allergies with fatal consequences. I will call his office today and run this information by him. I'll see what he has to say. He will only recommend "safe" treatments, if there are any.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:59 AM

697 posts, read 2,014,601 times
[quote=mommytotwo;5299461]

Quote:

Ok, 925mine, a lot of this is out of line.

The first thing that sounds bitter and heartless, is the cupcake thing. There is no way in hell, if the kid couldn't have a cupcake, they should have been handed out.

I have made my child cupcakes for every birthday he's ever had at school (and I love doing it as i have a summer birthday and never got them) but I would RATHER see my handmade spiderman cupcakes go INTO THE GARBAGE than to see all the kids get them except one. I cannot imagine the type of person that would send them in if there was a student that couldn't eat it. Terrible. And it is not this mother's job to provide her child an alternative snack for him to have while all the other kids get some fancy cupcake.

I take huge offense to this , on behalf of that child, as I would be PISSED if all the kids got some great snack and my kid couldn't have it.

Frankly, in my son's old school the 6th grade used to sell cupcakes every other Friday to make money, at snack time. My kid wanted the cupcake, but it pissed me off because they sold them at snack time and then he didn't eat his lunch. Retarded.

His teacher also gave out food rewards for stuff like bringing back your report card the very next day and returning surveys. That really pissed me off.
Food doesn't belong in the classroom, unless it is a snack.

I could take all these points singly and speak to them but it's hard now that the original text you were responding to is gone.

The point is, your tone of voice. It is downright rude and frankly obnoxious.

Some accommodations have to be made, esp. when they are perfectly reasonable, for these kids to be able to come to school. Yes, i believe other options must be considered for example if the scent of PB on someone's breath could kill them.

This woman wasn't dictating policy. The school dictates policy, and they do it with the assistance of their counsel, and medical professionals. If we really have an issue with the policy, it is an issue with the school department.

Not agreeing to the simplest accommodations is unreasonable, IMO.
Take offense all you want to. My opinion isn't any less than yours is.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:26 AM

697 posts, read 2,014,601 times
Quote:

Yes, I acknowledge that one thing leads to another. My worry specifically is over milk and dairy. If that were to get banned, we would be on a very slippery slope.
I agree.

Exactly what is the difference?? Between banning peanuts and peanut products and banning milk and dairy? If those parents rose up and demanded, there would be no peanut products, milk, dairy... That right there eliminates a huge portion of an average diet for a lot of kids.

Then all you need is a child with celiac disease to illiminate all gluten products from schools and there you go. A foodless school. That would solve EVERYBODY's allergy problems.

Wait, as someone else pointed out, there could be a ban on wool, silk and cotton since some children are allergic to those as well. That would solve the problem of having to clothe our kids before we put them on the bus.

To all the peanut allergy children out there, how reasonable would it be to have all peanut products, all milk and dairy, and all gluten products banned from YOUR child's classroom?? You would say all you care about is the peanut products. The parent of the child allergic to the milk and dairy would say their concern is the milk and dairy products, and the celiac parent would say what THEY want out is the gluten products..

ALL can be deadly to children with these allergies, but all I have ever heard about banning, is the peanut products.

Hmmmm How is it that nobody else expects the world to revolve around THEIR child's allergies???

Old 09-17-2008, 08:28 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,918,134 times
[quote=mrstewart;5299557]
Quote:

For some reason the way your quotes are posted, it looks as if I wrote something I didn't...It looks like I wrote the post but actually sususushi wrote it...

I just wanted to clear that up Thanks!
I didn't write that.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:38 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,244,003 times
[quote=SuSuSushi;5303513]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post

I didn't write that.
Sorry...my screen showed that you wrote it...the site had a mind of its own last night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education