Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 09:29 AM

1,692 posts, read 3,537,964 times

Advertisements

I have two kids that just entered 1 st grade. THey on the first day got mass amounts of homework. I have worked as a para pro withthat age group. I worried that the pressure of work , work will push them down. My son has sensory issues and it seem like the teacher has made no comments positive. THe other day he came home sad and said the teacher yelled at him because he didn't know where something was. On his papers it is wrote he didn't color neat enough and needed prompting to get his work done. We just moved to another state but to be honest I'm not impressed. I would like info on homeschooling. The pro's and neg. What does a parent have to do to be able to do this. How much is the cost to get the books and all that. Just anything. I will look it up but sometimes better info comes from those who have done it. I want my kids to love to learn and they do but if they get push to much that love is lost. My son does better when he doesn't have to sit too long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 09:45 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,713,465 times
You are in a tight spot. I chose to homeschool my children when I learned the public high school wasn't accredited AND there was rainbow stuff all over the schools. Not to offend anyone but that just isn't something I want my children taught.

So, private school. One semester until the director at an assembly said there was no such thing as Santa Clause. {there were lil kids in there!}

Homeschool.

My children excelled and also attended public schools from time to time. My children started college at 15 and 16 and my 13 year old is an 8th grader w/ 9th grade credits already. She's in public school.

Smart doesn't even describe how a child can be when they are homeschooled - in the right way.

Not one way is best for all. Each child should have his/her needs met.

Good luck!

Old 09-06-2008, 10:37 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,832,878 times
From your user name, I'm assuming you're in Michigan? Here's a link to the Michigan DOE info on home schooling which will give you some info.

As a public school teacher, I can only say I'm sorry that your children don't seem to be doing well in the school. For your son with sensory issues -- has he been evaluated for Special Ed? Something like not being able to sit for long periods can be addressed in an IEP.

However, for home schooling, I guess just be aware that you'll need a lot of time and patience -- teaching isn't always as easy as it looks. (Not that it necessarily looks easy, of course ..... )

With regard to textbooks, in the lower grades you can probably get away with workbooks/worksheets as opposed to actual text books. You can always get supplemental materials at the library and, if you decide you really like them, you can then purchase copies for home. If you continue to home school, do a Google search for home school support groups. I know there are a multitude of lesson plan websites (some designed just for home schoolers), and I've seen sites where parents sell/trade textbooks they've outgrown. You should also try to contact other home schoolers in your town/city and investigate working together on occasion. School isn't just about academics, it's also about social/emotional growth, and you need to make sure your children have the opportunity to interact with others their own age, in more than just "play date" kinds of things. Maybe you could go as a group to museums, concerts, etc.

Also, according to the Michigan link I listed, home schoolers are entitled to attend public school classes in areas of art, band, physical education, etc. -- areas where you might not feel adequate to teach.

Here's one more suggestion for you -- look into Odyssey of the Mind and/or Destination Imagination, which are similar programs. I coached/judged with them for many years, and it's a great way for kids to learn social skills while developing critical thinking skills and creativity. Again, this is something that you'd need to do with a group of other home schoolers.

Best of luck to you!

Old 09-06-2008, 11:54 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
We loved a beka for the math and language arts, which is about all a first grader needs anyway. Then read to him a lot--it will help with the sensory issues and introduce him to the world. Do a lot of research on his issues so you will know best how to help him, and use manipulatives to demonstrate math concepts. These can be cheap--beans and M&Ms make great counters. Take lots of field trips and for science just do hands on activities. For history read books to him, like the Little House series. For reading, I taught them out of Teach Your Child to REad in 100 Easy Lessons. Have him keep a journal for writing--it is so much fun to read later. HS can be a cheap or expensive as you want it to be.

Sorry I'd write more but am preparing for a big test. Do lots of internet research--we loved homeschooling and I recommend it. Whether or not you decide to HS, please get him out of that teacher's class--a bad teacher can do a lot of lasting damage, as I well know from personal experience, and the younger the child, the worse it is.

Old 09-06-2008, 03:06 PM

WE did live in MIchigan but a few months ago we had to move for my husbands work to North Carolina. Iexpect to return to Michigan next Summer I hope. We just don't like it here.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:53 PM

697 posts, read 2,015,093 times
My daughter has been homeschooled for 4 1/2 years. I took her out of public school halfway through 5th grade. This year, she began attending the local high school for a few classes. In Vermont, as long as the homeschool part is 60% of core, they can attend any school for anything else. She's taking her state required science (biotechnology), psychology and French at school, and I"m doing math, english and literature at home, plus anything else we come with in the process.

You don't need textbooks. We worked mostly through internet, library and conversation. Sometimes we start out with something in mind, and end up on a completely different subject. It's been great.

I have a friend in Michigan who has homeschooled her two children. Her daughter graduated and began college at 16 for nursing.

Check with your state DOE homeschool department. They will tell you what the state requirements are, or just visit their website.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:00 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,864,470 times
I am a teacher. You do have to be willing to put in a lot of time to give your kid's a quality education if you are going to home school. If your son has sensory problems, you might want to see if he is needing special ed help. Some children do not do well in large classes and many public schools have class sizes that are just simply too big. I have taught classes that have ranged from 18 to 31 students. I will tell you that the 18 children learned a lot more and performed a lot better than the 31 children. You might want to think about a charter school or a private school where class sizes are smaller.

Old 09-06-2008, 08:21 PM

I acrually was a para pro at a Charter School for 5 years. I was laid off like many support staff a few years ago. I don;t think there are any Charter schools close by. I have nothing against the schools here as I know First grade is different but what I really don't like is the way we are pushing young children. What is expected at 4 or even Kindergarden was years ago done in 1 or 2nd grade. I just feel like some public schools not all teach but don't teach children. THat is what I liked about Charter schools the one I worked at understood that all children learned different. It seems more than not that children who have a certain issue and learn different just throws the teacher and school. I understand the IEP thing but there was a time when a parent could just sit down with a teacher and come up with a plan to meet the child's needs. I explained last year because my son started OT outside the school for his sensory needs. The teacher even spoke with the OT therapist. It was suggested that he do something in the day that would allow him to put pressure on his joints. We were talking 5 min thing. I guess I'm feeling like perhaps some other parents may feel about home schooling that what if I don't do a good enough job and I then let my children down or don't teach them enough of what they need to know.

Old 09-07-2008, 05:37 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
First of all, you need to realize that your child's version of what happened may very well NOT be what actually happened. Children will twist a story to make them look better. They all do it and when parents don't get the whole story, get both sides of the story, it can lead to problems. Your son might THINK the teacher "yelled" at him when the teacher was talking loudly as the class was doing an activity where they were all talking and your son needed to find something so she said over the noise "It's in the cubby" or whatever. Kids will say they got yelled at in that situation.

Did you contact the teacher about the note on the homework? Did you find out what happened that resulted in that note? It sounds like the teacher was just trying to bring it to your attention that he is having some issues in class.

As for the homework-the 'mass' amounts were what? I know when our kids were in 1st grade they got homework. It took them about 10 minutes to complete the homework where it took other kids an hour-same exact homework. Maybe it was a lot for your kids but not much for others.

You also state that you don't like where you are living. How much does that factor into you finding everything bad with where you are? You need to focus on the good things or you are never going to be happy. Michigan typically has very good schools so that might be some of what you are seeing with your new schools as well.

I think you need to meet with the teacher and figure this out before you take the dramatic step to home school over a couple notes.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:58 AM

I must state that I'm not looking into homeschooling because of what my son said. Being a Mom of 7 I'm well informed of what kids say. Also because I work with children all my life and in a school system myself I tend to see things different. I was in Michigan a foster parent and many of those children has learning issues. It was very time consuming as I had to almost fight to get those kids what they need. My issue is my kids right now love learning. My daughter is very open to everything. My son you have to rally more but he is higher than her. I feel that a lot of kids have that love of learning until the school sucks it out of them. THe homework 5 spelling words each week. Write them 3x , write sentences, put in abc order. Math worksheets everyweek, and read a story everyweek and learn anywhere from 12-16 vocab words everyweek and on Friday test are given. This was given the first day. I remember even last year saying to my daughter who was 5 that we had to do something and her saying to me but Mom I'm only 5. I 'm not against my kids learning all the need to know but are schools push kids too hard. Also the other poster is right on her point. Some kids would do well with this amount of work. THery would be done in 10 mins. But what about the children who take a hour or more. I can tell you they are the ones that are different. That statement is exavtly what I mean if your child has trouble then they aren't doing well enough. The problem myt son has is that he leaves for school at 7:40 and gets home at 3;30 when he gets home he is done with school. He can't sit down and do lots of homework he needs to run and jump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education