U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 07:50 PM

1,417 posts, read 852,101 times

Advertisements

S.F.'s black students lag far behind whites

Quote:
Special education students had slightly higher proficiency rates than black students in second-, third- and fourth-grade math as well as fourth-grade Englis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 08:03 PM

2,905 posts, read 6,420,331 times
Again, a link to a potentially inflammatory article, or an article showing a minority group in a bad light, is posted, with the OP giving no opinion/comment on the article.

I'd like to hear your take on this article before giving mine, if for nothing else, but to know your intentions of posting this.

Sorry.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:07 PM

5,165 posts, read 8,080,306 times
Troll.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:14 PM

1,417 posts, read 852,101 times
Are you guys going to try to call me a racist? . Do you want me to post an article about the Hispanic (I'm hispanic) drop out rate as well to make me seem balanced?

What do I think about this? Why did this happen? Well for one funding was cut for schools in California. I'm waiting to see strikes at capital. The Government should focus on education over a lot of issues. This should be way up there.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:32 PM

2,681 posts, read 3,574,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
Are you guys going to try to call me a racist? . Do you want me to post an article about the Hispanic (I'm hispanic) drop out rate as well to make me seem balanced?

What do I think about this? Why did this happen? Well for one funding was cut for schools in California. I'm waiting to see strikes at capital. The Government should focus on education over a lot of issues. This should be way up there.
But funding was cut for all schools. Trust me, if racially targeted cuts were being done, it would be 1992 all over again.

SF, from what I understand, has a very welathy core of white and asian gentry, while it's Black popualtion consists of the people there for the welfare or couldn't afford to move. I bet if you took white trash from the Inland empire and put them up against the Black SF kids, the difference wouldn't be as dramatic. So some of this should be taken with a grain of salt.

Having said that, as someone who's recently graduated from the American school system(I'm 20), I can honestly say that there is simply a vast core of kids who do not value education. What white kids have over Black kids more often than not isn't money or genes, but parents who would be livid if little timmy or suzy didn't get into Harvard or Yale. A Black kid in a PJ probably is living amongst people fed that "God D*mn Amerikka" Rev Wright bull**** and hence doesn't have anyone pushing them along.

From my observation, if you dropped 10 Black kids and 10 white kids on a desert island and then dropped a laptop with all the knowledge known to man on it, you'd find 8 stupid Blacks and 8 stupid whites bullying the 2 smart blacks and 2 smart whites. That said, Western society has told Blacks for centuries that they're role is not among the elites and intellectuals, but in the shackles of ignorance and violence. This continues to this day, with any kid of color daring to speak truth hammered down by fellow members of his community and white liberals as an "Uncle Tom" and "Acting White". Maybe this is the true racism that isn't being addressed.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:44 PM

2,905 posts, read 6,420,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post

Thank you Californio, no need to get into the hispanic drop out rate.....

This is too bad. But as the last poster stated, I don't necessarily think that it is because the black parents don't care to push the kids as hard as the white parents, what I think is that the black parents (according to the stats above are poorer) probably don't have the time or the resources generally to be chasing their kids down to get their homework done and helping them do it right.

My mother had no time to help me with my school work, and though I turned out fine, my brother's grades were average at best. It wasn't because my mother didn't care, she just had to work a lot and he wasn't interested.

They need to make more funding available for the lowest performing students to get extra help after school, from a young age.

IMO, the students that do the best are the ones with someone that is at home helping, pushing, motivating, forcing, whatever. If the parents don't have the time or energy, the child's education will suffer. The parents are as important if not more important than the children's teachers, if you ask me.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:45 PM

2,344 posts, read 3,799,679 times
Perhaps they need to take some responsibility and catch up.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:30 PM

6,314 posts, read 8,643,858 times
I have mixed views on this. We can assume that much of the lack of black academic achievement is related to a lack of funding,low teaching expectations etc but some of this is related to the attitudes of some Blacks towards learning. Basically if more Blacks could devote the same enegry and focus to mastering algebra as we do with mastering jump shots,dunks and scoring touchdowns then Blacks would pass Asians in academics.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:33 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,415,357 times
2 ways to handle it pull together and make it better. or shut up the people pointing it out, emporers new cloths.

Old 09-07-2008, 11:18 PM

87 posts, read 495,405 times
It's a hopeless cause to make every black parent responsible. The most important thing is for black leaders to step up and say, I did it. I did it from a poor background, I did it without drugs or crime or gangs, I played with the whites and asians at their own game and won. And so can you! That will have an impact on the kids.

The old generation of black leaders tended to focus on attacking perceived discrimination after the fact. I don't think this was very productive. But it is a great thing new black leaders, like Obama (agree or disagree with his politics I don't care) play the race card far less and instead act like role models.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or