Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 11:19 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,488,479 times

Advertisements

Long story really. We lived in Pasadena, CA when we decided to homeschool. The schools were not good and so we opted for private.

We then moved part way through the year and opted to complete the year homeschooling because of the problems we had moving.

We continued it and are for now.

Dawn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 09:11 AM

395 posts, read 1,540,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I don't see it this way. One parent would have to be a full-time stay at home mom or dad. I guess that it is possible that this parent can also work from home or maybe work a part time job on the weekends or what have you. Raising kids costs money and it is hard enough for many couples who do not have kids to make ends meet when one of them is not working.

Interesting responses so far as I have always assumed that people home schooled because of religious or political reasons.
It IS possible to do it that way even if the homeschooling parent works full time. It all depends on the amount of support they have. I work and I homeschool a low functioning autistic child who is non verbal. I will soon be homeschooling a second higher functioning special needs daughter.

Up until now I have worked long hours on the weekends as a nurses aid and been able to take off weekdays, but even with that we were going to twelve therapy appointments a week. Due to transportation costs we recently had to cut down to once a week. In five days we are moving to Oklahoma City and plan to resume a more intensive therapy schedule. I will also be seeking full time work in addition to homeschooling my two girls. Their Dad will be doing some of the teaching while I work, since he is disabled and unable to work himself.

If parents really want to homeschool it CAN be done without one parent having to give up a needed income. It takes a lot of commitment,planning and support, but it is possible.

I decided to homeschool because (in a nutshell) my autistic child was having too many issues with her public school. She is doing so much better in homeschool!

A lot of it depends on how strict the state where a parent is homeschooling is. In Oklahoma there is really no regulation of homeschooling as it is protected in the state constitution. There is no required notification,testing or record keeping (although I do that anyway as do most homeschooling parents). Some states are the opposite and are very strict and in addition require something like 1000 hours a year. That would be nearly impossible with my autistic child.

Old 09-25-2008, 03:57 PM

697 posts, read 2,014,802 times
[quote=Floridamom1970;5417151]
Quote:
It IS possible to do it that way even if the homeschooling parent works full time.
I think those who don't homeschool are under the assumption that in order to, you need to devote from 8a to 3p bent over your child. When it's just one on one, a person doesn't have to put in that amount of time. You can cover a subject in sometimes a few minutes, and if you decide to put in extra time on any one subject because of intense interest, it's up to you. That's one of the perks. One can homeschool a child in the afternoon or evening just as easily as in the morning, too.

Quote:
A lot of it depends on how strict the state where a parent is homeschooling is. In Oklahoma there is really no regulation of homeschooling as it is protected in the state constitution. There is no required notification,testing or record keeping (although I do that anyway as do most homeschooling parents). Some states are the opposite and are very strict and in addition require something like 1000 hours a year. That would be nearly impossible with my autistic child.[/
In Vermont there are strict standards and a lot of accountability. A certain amount of progress has to be shown, and in the areas they (the state) require.

Old 09-25-2008, 04:05 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,791,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Interesting responses so far as I have always assumed that people home schooled because of religious or political reasons.
Neither of those was an issue here. We are liberal Christians, but that had little to do with homeschooling. My girls are in school now, but an interesting after-effect is that the teachers are impressed with how motivated they are--they actually enjoy homework and read books and learn other things on the side. In other words, they are in charge of their own education and they know it.

Old 09-25-2008, 04:14 PM

697 posts, read 2,014,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Neither of those was an issue here. We are liberal Christians, but that had little to do with homeschooling. My girls are in school now, but an interesting after-effect is that the teachers are impressed with how motivated they are--they actually enjoy homework and read books and learn other things on the side. In other words, they are in charge of their own education and they know it.

I've noticed that as well with my daughter. She went to public school until halfway through 5th grade, and is now in 10th and back part time, homeschooled the rest. She is very much more in charge of her education than her peers who have been in school all along. Besides that, she has a sense of confidence that attracts other students of all ages to gravitate to her. She finds this surprising.

I started homeschooling her because of an abusive teacher and a non-supportive administration. It was the best thing for her. She was strong before, but now she's a whole lot stronger.

Old 09-28-2008, 05:11 AM

369 posts, read 1,960,242 times
It is interesting to read the range of reasons that people decide to home school. I am home schooling my 11 year old daughter this year for the first time. Prior to this she attended Catholic school. We relocated to CT, and at the same time, my sister in CA was told that her cancer had spread to her brain. In order to help her during her treatment, but also be on the east coast establishing our new home, I decided to home school so I could travel back and forth without any restrictions. My daughter travels with me, and we bring her books. Morning are spent schooling, and afternoons are spent doing what needs to be done, most importantly spending time with my sister. On good days, maybe we go to a museum or nature center, and on days she does not feel her best she has been teaching my daughter how to knit and sew. I cannot tell you how important this time is to our family, and home schooling is what really made it all possible.

As you can see from the various responses to your question, people arrive at the decision to school at home based on a huge variety of factors. How fortunate for all of us that we are able, as parents, to make the decision that is best for our child and our family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education