Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 09:29 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,031,390 times

Advertisements

I am working on an Associates Degree in Business Management...and my question for ya'll is this:

Do any of you ever use algebra in your job? At all? If so, what kind of job is it?

I fail to see the use of this god-forsaken subject for a business manager.
Right now Id like to do all sorts of mean and unmentionable things to the person who invented it...

WHY is it taught to those who likely will never use it? Engineers, scientists, etc, I can understand ;but good grief this is rotten stuff!

I know a lady who is working on a degree in early childhood education: she wants to be a preschool teacher. Why would she need it?

Sorry, Im ranting a bit. But Im curious as to others thoughts on the subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 05:56 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Teaching the mindset it takes to logically and systematically solve problems is important to future leaders in the business world. Sure, you might never sit down and 'solve for x' as a manager, but you better learn to look at problems and filter out the extraneous stuff, you need to be able to fix something as a problem, and not as just an emotional response to a situation. Math teaches this kind of thinking better than anything else...

Old 09-17-2008, 05:56 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
In order to do budget estimates (yes, managers have to give spending estimates for the office), among other things, algebra is useful. And it's actually useful in everday life! I think you don't yet realize it. It's not that difficult. It's a way of thinking.

I used to think calculus was difficult until I actually had to use it everyday at work. Now it's part of the background noise I need to find answers.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:33 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
You sound exactly like me when I was forced to learn it in 8th grade. I now find myself using it to solve problems without realizing I'm using it. It's just there.

I agree that it teaches a mindset that is required to get ahead. Remember, the person you're up against for that promotion might be good at it and it will show up in their work. You want it to show up in yours, too.

Excellent tool. Hang in there! Get some help if you need it.

This link is not meant as a put down. These are good books, I use them when I need help.

Algebra For Dummies:Book Information - For Dummies (http://tinyurl.com/5pnycf - broken link)

Forgot to answer:

I don't really use it in my work so much any more. I did when I was a draftsman, but as a computer consultant, no. I do use it in everyday life, however, from something as simple as figuring out the best price/cost ratio in a grocery store to designing our retirement home.
In the store it drives my wife nuts when I compare three items in my head and get the answer before she does using a calculator.

And no, I'm not some genius geek type. My mother was very good at math and when I was young I asked her how she did it. She told me she pictured a black board in her mind and used it. I've been doing it ever since. Beating the dust off the erasers is the only problem I've run into so far.

I'm a self-employed Computer consultant

Old 09-17-2008, 06:51 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
It can teach a systematic way of thinking. Then, when someone gets into the business world, he/she doesn't have to actually put down, X=? and Y=X+4, the orderly way of thinking it out in stuck in the brain somewhere and begins working to give the correct answer. We use the process automatically without thinking about it being Algebra.

It's the process of laying out a problem in an orderly fashion rather than hit or miss.

The closest example of how we learn to think orderly in math that I can think of is simply adding up a long column of figures. That is, A+B+C+D...=X with X being the correct answer. We were taught, over and over again, to start at either the top or bottom of the column and add the outer numbers first, then go to the next, etc. It would be possible to just hop about and add one here and one there and get the correct answer, but the best way is to think of doing it in sequence as we were taught.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:00 AM

877 posts, read 2,077,373 times
Would you rather have an interviewer tell you, "Sorry, you're very qualified, but we need someone who can do algebra for this job."

or:

"You can do Algebra? Well that's fine, but it's not required for the job, and you've got the qualifications we're looking for."

Old 09-17-2008, 07:08 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Algebra is a way of thinking instead of emoting. Stop whining and start learning.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:38 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
All The Time. And I'm not an engineer or anything technical at all. I'm a writer.

So, as Greg put it, quit whining

Old 09-17-2008, 07:48 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,140,200 times
My unwillingness to succeed at algebra and other higher maths is the sole reason I am in the situation Im in today. A part of me wants to start over but the other bigger part says make do. If I would have taken higher maths more seriously there is no doubt that I would have earned a degree in Journalism.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:20 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Thumbs up Algebra! It's nor just for classrooms anymore!

I use algebra every day: calculating and comparing unit prices at the grocery store, figuring a percentage discount, doubling or halving a recipe, figuring gas mileage, determining the time required to drive a certain distance, figuring out how my 2 percent raise will translate into dollars per week.

Anytime you have to calcluate a variable, you're using algebra.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education