U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 04:20 PM

14,874 posts, read 36,248,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Actually, middle class can relocate too. There are many suburbs with cheap homes. The people who are shut out often are the poor.
Right now in Texas there is a debate to allow vouchers for students to attend private schools using money paid in by property taxes that would have gone to public schools. While I live in a district that some in the area unknowingly look down on but it is just as good if not better than the ones most think ignorantly are better I am in an upper end area and a great school and have access to g/t magnets (of which one of my children attends). I just don't feel that my tax dollars should be spent to pay someone elses private school tuition when I'm sending my kids to public school. There are kids everyday all over that are in low ranking schools that turn out great and successful. It is what is put INTO the effort of education by the student and the parents that determines whether or not they got the best education they had offered to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2007, 04:23 PM

18,696 posts, read 35,420,950 times
Where I live, you can enroll your child in any elementary school you want to in the District. You are provided bus transportation to the one in your area, if you choose another, it's up to you to provide transportation.

Junior High, you have no choice. That's because there's only one. haha Same with High School.

Old 02-08-2007, 04:42 PM

699 posts, read 2,302,619 times
I was just thinking...why don't they just privatize school for everyone? Maybe even set it up as a for profit organization? Maybe then there would be sufficient funds for education...and rather than pay for it in taxes JUST the parents and businesses could foot the bill, and childless people (like me) could have even more expendable income.

Old 02-08-2007, 04:58 PM

4,486 posts, read 14,922,691 times
Quote:
Actually, middle class can relocate too. There are many suburbs with cheap homes.
True but usually the suburbs with the best schools are the affluent ones. There are a few that don't require $$$ to get in a great school district but unfortunately it usually doesn't work like that.

Quote:
I was just thinking...why don't they just privatize school for everyone?
Then the quality of the private schools would go down. People pay extra for quality even when it comes to education. If everyone and their mother could get into a private school, there would be no point in having one.

Old 02-08-2007, 05:21 PM

You mean that's the reason school isn't privately funded? So the wealthy can have their false sense of superiority and make sure their kids' educational experience is above the common folk...somehow I don't really think that's the reason. The way public schools are set up now just doesn't work, and why we're still trying to do it that way is a mystery to me. It's a mess - a bad enough mess to throw it out and start over, and lots of private $$ would be the best place to start...

Old 02-08-2007, 06:14 PM

4,486 posts, read 14,922,691 times
Quote:
So the wealthy can have their false sense of superiority and make sure their kids' educational experience is above the common folk...somehow I don't really think that's the reason.
To an extent, yes.

Here's an example:

You have 200 kids in this private high school (50 per class) with say a 10:1 student-teacher ratio. Then you have a public high school with 2000 in the entire high school (500 per class) with a 30:1 student teacher ratio. Most likely the private high school will have higher test scores, better educaation system, etc etc.

When you open a privately funded foundation to allow parents to transfer their kids from a free public school to a $20,000/ year private school, it'll definetly cause problems. So that great 200 student high school just turned into a 1000 student mess. The quality will substantially go down and you'll have a ton of PO'd parents ready with their lawyers.

Also if I'm paying $20,000/ year for my child to go to this school and you're getting money from a foundation to let your child go there; can you see where I may be a bit upset?

Old 02-08-2007, 06:32 PM

4,271 posts, read 7,887,141 times
I feel the same way as you do, momo.

If people want school choice, they should work to expand magnet programs. Look at New York City's public school system. The number of choices (especially at high school level) are mind-boggling.

I wish to expand the size of Houston ISD so it covers the city limits. Then I want the school and course offerings to expand to get close to an NYC-type diversity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Right now in Texas there is a debate to allow vouchers for students to attend private schools using money paid in by property taxes that would have gone to public schools. While I live in a district that some in the area unknowingly look down on but it is just as good if not better than the ones most think ignorantly are better I am in an upper end area and a great school and have access to g/t magnets (of which one of my children attends). I just don't feel that my tax dollars should be spent to pay someone elses private school tuition when I'm sending my kids to public school. There are kids everyday all over that are in low ranking schools that turn out great and successful. It is what is put INTO the effort of education by the student and the parents that determines whether or not they got the best education they had offered to them.

Old 02-08-2007, 06:33 PM

There are magnet public schools that have small class sizes as well. I attend one that typically has 70-130 per class.

If parents want small magnet schools, they should ask their districts to establish them.

Not that I feel like large comprehensives should die. They should simply serve a type of student body that feels comfortable in large schools. Students that want smaller schools would attend the small magnets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
To an extent, yes.

Here's an example:

You have 200 kids in this private high school (50 per class) with say a 10:1 student-teacher ratio. Then you have a public high school with 2000 in the entire high school (500 per class) with a 30:1 student teacher ratio. Most likely the private high school will have higher test scores, better educaation system, etc etc.

When you open a privately funded foundation to allow parents to transfer their kids from a free public school to a $20,000/ year private school, it'll definetly cause problems. So that great 200 student high school just turned into a 1000 student mess. The quality will substantially go down and you'll have a ton of PO'd parents ready with their lawyers.

Also if I'm paying $20,000/ year for my child to go to this school and you're getting money from a foundation to let your child go there; can you see where I may be a bit upset?

Old 02-08-2007, 06:42 PM

I can see why a HUGE number of other people would be upset if this was the reason their education remained substandard. I don't think you're following my suggestion to privatize schools. I'm saying to totally do away with public education and start over with private funding and private administration of all former public schools. That doesn't have anything to do with Woodward Academy's students, a prestigious private school near me. It would be totally separate from private schools just like public education is currently.

And I don't have a problem with disadvantaged kids getting grants or scholarships to attend a pricey private school. If they only admitted families who can pay the tuition their high scores would suffer. If they give scholarships to those who can't afford the tuition, it will only strengthen the academic prestige of the school. The kids don't have to be wealthy, just intelligent. Haven't you seen Scent of a Woman?? "Hoo-wah!"

Old 02-08-2007, 08:31 PM

Sprts: Never going to happen. How are the schools going to support themselves? The reason why states manage public schools is because taxed money is distributed to the schools. How will schools be funded if public tax money is no longer used to finance schools?

And, if public tax money is involved, in the United States, the school is public.

Other countries classify schools in different manners. I.E. there is a difference between state-operated and state-aided schools in Singapore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
I can see why a HUGE number of other people would be upset if this was the reason their education remained substandard. I don't think you're following my suggestion to privatize schools. I'm saying to totally do away with public education and start over with private funding and private administration of all former public schools. That doesn't have anything to do with Woodward Academy's students, a prestigious private school near me. It would be totally separate from private schools just like public education is currently.

And I don't have a problem with disadvantaged kids getting grants or scholarships to attend a pricey private school. If they only admitted families who can pay the tuition their high scores would suffer. If they give scholarships to those who can't afford the tuition, it will only strengthen the academic prestige of the school. The kids don't have to be wealthy, just intelligent. Haven't you seen Scent of a Woman?? "Hoo-wah!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or