U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 07:09 AM

20,793 posts, read 52,443,863 times

Advertisements

A little late to the show but here is some information on the Minnesota Open Enrollment:

Any student can apply to any school in any district in the state. You have to apply in January of the previous year and can only be turned down based on enrollment issues OR if your past history shows problems. Most of the top schools are full and don't accept open enrollment but that varies by grade. Schools will not generally hire more teachers to open spots for open enrollment. In our district you can go to any school in the district but it sounds like some others don't have that option.

In our district there are 5 high schools and each excel in different areas/sports. Most of the kids that open enroll in our district do so to participate in a sport/program because the quality of education at all the schools is the same. For the most part this has been a good way for kids to get the type of education that suits them best.

In our old town there were many, many more kids using open enrollment into our high school because it was the largest school around and could offer more class choices. In this district they did hire more teachers to accommodate these students because the district the child attended got the educational funds for that child from their old district.

Minnesota has always topped the nation when it comes to education. I think a large reason for that is that the adult population is fairly well educated and sees the value of getting a good education. It does make a HUGE difference in the success of a student if they are getting support at home and not having to worry if they are going to be able to eat that day or not. There is also little to no difference in the quality of education at a private school vs public schools here. Most that choose private schools do so for religious reasons more than anything.

As for funding for the schools, our district is top in the state and one of the best in the nation yet we rank in the middle for per pupil funding. Strangely enough many of the districts in our state that spend the most on the kids perform the worst. That is USUALLY because they have more then the average special needs kids and those programs are expensive (Minneapolis schools are a good example of that).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 02:24 PM

3 posts, read 6,900 times
My daughter's friend lives in another city but her mom works in the city that her daughter currently attends school. I guess they did not petition to go to her current school and now she's being pulled from the school district after 7 years. Her mother had been using an address from one of her client's houses that she takes care of. Her petition has been denied. Does anyone know if she can do anything about it, especially since her mom works in the area of the school and would have no child care for her daughter if she attends a school closer to her home. We live in California.

Thanks!!!

Old 09-15-2008, 04:28 PM

697 posts, read 1,777,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineB View Post
My daughter's friend lives in another city but her mom works in the city that her daughter currently attends school. I guess they did not petition to go to her current school and now she's being pulled from the school district after 7 years. Her mother had been using an address from one of her client's houses that she takes care of. Her petition has been denied. Does anyone know if she can do anything about it, especially since her mom works in the area of the school and would have no child care for her daughter if she attends a school closer to her home. We live in California.

Thanks!!!

Schools have little sympathy for situations like this. About the child care; if they have been doing this for 7 years, that would make the daughter at least 7th or 8th grade. Old enough by state standards to be home alone after school.

That woman could get into a lot of trouble for lying to the district. The school may choose to charge her tuition for the 7 years she had her daughter there. I don't know about legal issues.

Schools are very strict here (Vermont) about this. I couldn't even send my daughter to a different elementary school IN OUR DISTRICT without paying tuition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or