Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Local Tax Revenue way down, should we:
Raise taxes to keep school funding at current levels 5 45.45%
Keep taxes where they are at and risk lowering the quality of our schools 4 36.36%
I do not know 2 18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 09:55 AM

485 posts, read 1,834,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
I agree with this. cut funding to schools. Dumb down a already declining intellectual base amongst our citizenry. This way, when things get better economically we will be at more of a disadvantage as compared to the rest of the world in terms of inferior work force than we already are. Greaaaat plan.
Hold on! I never said it was a good plan to cut school funding and understand that cuts to the school budgets can cause problems. I am just saying we can not afford to fund the local government and school programs as much as before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 01:21 PM

697 posts, read 2,009,271 times
Quote:
I agree with this. cut funding to schools. Dumb down a already declining intellectual base amongst our citizenry. This way, when things get better economically we will be at more of a disadvantage as compared to the rest of the world in terms of inferior work force than we already are. Greaaaat plan.
Dumb down; now that's funny. There is more waste in the public schools than is necessary. It's ridiculous how much money is spent and the kids don't benefit AT ALL.

I say cut funding and go back to basics. That's when kids learned the most.

If there is a 'declining intellectual base amongst our citizenry', and more is spent per student than ever before, I would say all that spending has had an adverse affect on our 'citizenry'.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:41 PM

901 posts, read 2,978,610 times
I know that this is old, but I thought I would comment anyway. I'm a teacher, but I do think that there is a lot of money wasted. Also, schools pay for things that the parents should be responsible for. Children should bring their own supplies. When I was a kid, my parents sent me to school with pencils, crayons, folders, notebooks. My school is supplies these things.

Also, schools spend WAY too much on stupid scripted cirricula that are not needed. Let's let teachers teach, not just read boring scripts. Let's scale back on the options at the cafeteria. Serve cold cereal at breakfast. Schools should do more with less. However, cutting staff is not the best way to do it. Class sizes need to be decreased, not increased.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:37 PM

8,358 posts, read 25,149,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post
Where else do you want the government to cut? Police, Fire?
Some cities/counties have already done this or are currently in the process of doing this.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
I agree. Cut something else.

If we can't even educate our children, then where will we be in the future? (and some say we are not even getting the job done now)

Plus, underfunding schools and making them poorer than they already are is not going to save people money, it will just be spent out of their pockets, after tax, for private schools.
What I see as the real issue is that the people who would be in favor of cutting the funding for public education are generally of an older generation. They will be long gone by the time 'our children' are grown and in power. So in reality, they have nothing to lose.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:43 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,001,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post
America is facing a huge economic crisis. We need to cut spending significantly on our personal expenses (to save for the quickly coming rainy day) and cut government expenditures at both the local and federal levels.

A significant number of communities are reaching a crisis level in local revenue. There are two choices:

Raise taxes in a recession- in a time where people are making less and more of us are living pay check to paycheck and can not afford higher taxes.

Or significantly lower local financial government support of schools. (and accept higher class size and run down schools)

Are you ready for some tough times at your local school?
As a blissfully childfree person, with approximately 90 percent of may annual property taxes going for a school that I will never use, nor benefit from, I have been saying this for DECADES.

Let the parents pay for their childrens' schools. Leave me the hell out of it.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-21-2008, 10:21 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,167,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam82 View Post
I know that this is old, but I thought I would comment anyway. I'm a teacher, but I do think that there is a lot of money wasted. Also, schools pay for things that the parents should be responsible for. Children should bring their own supplies. When I was a kid, my parents sent me to school with pencils, crayons, folders, notebooks. My school is supplies these things.

Also, schools spend WAY too much on stupid scripted cirricula that are not needed. Let's let teachers teach, not just read boring scripts. Let's scale back on the options at the cafeteria. Serve cold cereal at breakfast. Schools should do more with less. However, cutting staff is not the best way to do it. Class sizes need to be decreased, not increased.
In Colorado, kids do have to bring their own supplies. Each school/grade provides a list. In Illinois, when I lived there, kids had to pay a textbook fee.

Schol lunches are funded by the Dept. of Agriculture. I know some kick in a little extra, but it's not a huge expenditure.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:34 PM

830 posts, read 2,702,625 times
Quote:
Because the teachers want more and more. To satisfy the teachers, they already cut...
Quote:
There are special aides for a HUGE number of students and for each teacher. I'd start there. I'd cut the waste of what sits around not used that the school just HAD to have. I'd cut staff so the teachers are responsible for the kids for the majority of the day.
Eh? My 1:1 aide is there not because I requested it but because that kid's parent would sue the school district if he didn't get it. And I'm responsible for my students for all but my lunch period. Should I not get lunch? Gulp it down while stopping little Johnny from biting Suzy?

Glad you've got it all worked out for us...

Yes, I think we should cut fire services. Since I've never had a fire on my property, I don't benefit from paying those taxes. People who do have fires on their property should buy some fire extinguishers and hoses and put them out themselves.

Old 11-22-2008, 02:02 AM

1,654 posts, read 7,327,298 times
I'll continue paying the taxes. It's my duty as an American and as someone who feels that all children deserve the best.

Old 11-22-2008, 02:08 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,398,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Exactly. And how many studies do we have to do to prove increasing spending does not automatically make the students do better?
Absolutely correct! Spending more money on education is not the answer.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:13 AM
Rei

494 posts, read 1,757,375 times
It depends on where. In CA, the number of students has decreased, but the funding has gone up. This means the funding per student has gone up significantly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education