Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 12:12 PM

697 posts, read 2,014,802 times

Advertisements

My daughter just informed me that my nephew has been reading that series since he was in second grade. Funny thing about him though, he would have just laughed and took what book he wanted regardless what anybody said.

Too bad kids are being taught to be so oversensitive about the stupidest things. It rubs off from the adults in their lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 12:33 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,799,829 times
Thank you for your opinions. He did rub it off and picked what he wanted anyhow. But what got me more was the fact that I have two sons ; one is a fantastic reader, the other hates reading. I would hate for my wonderful reader to have his entusium squashed by what a person percives.

I havent let it bother me that much, but just dont want him to stop what he loves doing.

Thanks

d

Old 09-27-2008, 01:58 PM

516 posts, read 1,887,958 times
It's amazing how low our expectations have become, especially when it comes to matters such as literacy. What ever happened to challenging students to reach beyond their "level"?

Old 09-27-2008, 06:26 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,292,767 times
I think the librarian's comment was not well thought out but I wouldn't let it bother me too much, and it certainly wouldn't deter my eager reader. He is 11, in 5th grade but with many of his classes at 6th grade level, and his older brother is 16 and a HS Jr. The 11 year old often reads my 16 year old's assigned reading when the older one is finished with a book.. and "just for fun" he likes to read some of my college textbooks. Especially Sociology.

He's reading on at least a college level, he was always an eager reader, and I am so thankful that he has received nothing but encouragement from teachers and other adults. I started reading at age 3.5 and read voraciously through childhood and can you believe my father (who was also a reader) used to criticize me for always having my "nose in a book"! My mom too. I'd hear things about how I wasn't watching TV like normal kids. LOL. Weird.

Just let your son read what he likes and blow off comments like that.

Old 09-27-2008, 07:51 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,791,358 times
Your story reminds me of when my daughter was in kindergarten and I had the first parent-teacher conference of the year. Her teacher enthused about how well she was doing and told me that she thought that very soon my daughter would be able to read some words. I just about dropped my teeth and said, "Are you kidding me? She's reading Harry Potter!" The funny thing is, I don't think the teacher ever heard me. Your son will get that a lot, so learn to not sweat it.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:02 PM

603 posts, read 2,339,404 times
After 3 weeks of emails and notes to my daughter's first grade teacher telling her that the work was too easy and my daughter was bored, they finally tested her. She tested on 5th-6th grade level on reading. My point is this: they didn't believe me until they tested her. The librarian doesn't know your child--she's basing information on his grade. Blow it off-- parents and students know what they can read. Tonight my daughter was reading her dad's Bible. I reminded her that she had a children's Bible. She said, "I like the adult one. The stories are longer." I left her alone and let her read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education