Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2014, 09:22 AM

61,290 posts, read 87,094,098 times

Advertisements

People ridicule what they fear
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 09:24 AM

14,304 posts, read 14,099,588 times
What a lot of people don't understand is that the "anti-intellectual mentality" is not brand new.

It was alive and well when I went to elementary school in the 1960's. The biggest heroes in the school were "jocks". Not the kids who read better than anyone else, nor the kid who could write the best essay. If you showed that you knew more than average kids about a particular subject by asking questions or responding well to the teacher's questions, you'd end up being ridiculed for that. Teachers even joined in. What I observed during both my elementary and junior high years was that a handful of kids--usually those with great athletic ability--were singled out by the teachers for praise and most of the other kids were ignored.

I do think the problem is worse today than it was 45 years ago though. I primarily blame t.v. and the mass media for it getting this bad. Here are some examples of how mass media is making things worse:

1. Proliferation of programs like "cop-shows", "soap operas", and programs that glorify everything from teen motherhood to one's dancing style.

2. Advertisements which market to the "lowest common denominator".

3. The lack of news programs which provide any depth to their coverage. Sure, we know someone is getting killed in the Middle East. What we never see is any program that attempts to explain the historical reasons for the violence.

4. News channels like MSNBC and FOX that appeal to exactly one political point of view and never challenge their viewers to explore the convictions and stereotypes that they hold.

5. Radio hosts like Rush Limbaugh or Glen Beck which promote one point of view for a couple of hours and hold the attention of listeners by making shocking (and often totally untrue statements).

6. Taking up long blocks of media time with silly quiz shows like "Let's Make a Deal".

7. Features that focus on the reverence in which professional football players, baseball players, and basketball players are held.

8. Stories that play to the obsession some have with misfit famous people like Britney Spears, Paris Hilton, or the Kardashians. "Personality journalism" in general is a huge waste of everyone's time, yet it is remarkably good at finding viewers or readers among the general public.

9. Giving some people who really have no legitimate point of view, substantial media time to promote ridiculous viewpoints. I would include people like Jenny McCarthy who mindlessly rant about "the evils of vaccination" a forum to spout her nonsense. Another would be, all the people who claim global warming is "made up" when 90% or more of scientists know that it is not.

10. The relegation of any programs about science to special educational television stations. Only PBS has a program like "NOVA" and a relatively small group watches that.

The first step towards fixing this problem would be a media that voluntarily stopped promoting anti-intellectualism. I doubt it will happen in my lifetime.

Last edited by markg91359; 05-10-2014 at 09:34 AM..

Old 05-10-2014, 09:35 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,437,323 times
True -- nothing brand new about it. The terms "egg-heads", "ivory-tower" have been around for a long time. There will always be at least some anti-intellectualism because of the way the university world is cut off from the real-life world. There are those who never leave the universities -- they study and study and study but cannot hold down jobs outside the university. They can be viewed in a certain way by those who deal in the more practical world.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:39 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,462,994 times
Anti-intellectualism has a long history in American life, and is rooted in the myth that academically accomplished people cannot possibly possess any practical, "real world" intelligence. The classic treatment of this subject is Richard Hofstadter's Anti-Intellectualism in American Life.

Anti-Intellectualism in American Life: Richard Hofstadter: 9780394703176: Amazon.com: Books

Old 05-10-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
Anti-intellectualism has a long history in American life, and is rooted in the myth that academically accomplished people cannot possibly possess any practical, "real world" intelligence. The classic treatment of this subject is Richard Hofstadter's Anti-Intellectualism in American Life.

Anti-Intellectualism in American Life: Richard Hofstadter: 9780394703176: Amazon.com: Books
Interesting reviews:

Unfortunately, America's practical culture has never embraced intellectuals. The intellectuals' education and expertise are viewed as a form of power or privilege. Intellectuals are seen as a small arrogant elite who are pretentious, conceited, snobbish.

I think anti-elitism is a strong part of American culture and is the basis for the great success of this country.

Put a physics or math professor at a pool table against a pool-shark --- the professor can preach about vectors, angles, and forces but can he beat the pool-shark when it comes to reality and applying them? Most Americans would put their money on the pool-shark.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:17 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,736,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Put a physics or math professor at a pool table against a pool-shark --- the professor can preach about vectors, angles, and forces but can he beat the pool-shark when it comes to reality and applying them? Most Americans would put their money on the pool-shark.
I bet Usain Bolt could beat any biophysicist in a sprint too.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:52 AM

10,250 posts, read 10,499,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
What a lot of people don't understand is that the "anti-intellectual mentality" is not brand new.

It was alive and well when I went to elementary school in the 1960's. The biggest heroes in the school were "jocks". Not the kids who read better than anyone else, nor the kid who could write the best essay. If you showed that you knew more than average kids about a particular subject by asking questions or responding well to the teacher's questions, you'd end up being ridiculed for that. Teachers even joined in. What I observed during both my elementary and junior high years was that a handful of kids--usually those with great athletic ability--were singled out by the teachers for praise and most of the other kids were ignored.

I do think the problem is worse today than it was 45 years ago though. I primarily blame t.v. and the mass media for it getting this bad. Here are some examples of how mass media is making things worse:

1. Proliferation of programs like "cop-shows", "soap operas", and programs that glorify everything from teen motherhood to one's dancing style.

2. Advertisements which market to the "lowest common denominator".

3. The lack of news programs which provide any depth to their coverage. Sure, we know someone is getting killed in the Middle East. What we never see is any program that attempts to explain the historical reasons for the violence.

4. News channels like MSNBC and FOX that appeal to exactly one political point of view and never challenge their viewers to explore the convictions and stereotypes that they hold.

5. Radio hosts like Rush Limbaugh or Glen Beck which promote one point of view for a couple of hours and hold the attention of listeners by making shocking (and often totally untrue statements).

6. Taking up long blocks of media time with silly quiz shows like "Let's Make a Deal".

7. Features that focus on the reverence in which professional football players, baseball players, and basketball players are held.

8. Stories that play to the obsession some have with misfit famous people like Britney Spears, Paris Hilton, or the Kardashians. "Personality journalism" in general is a huge waste of everyone's time, yet it is remarkably good at finding viewers or readers among the general public.

9. Giving some people who really have no legitimate point of view, substantial media time to promote ridiculous viewpoints. I would include people like Jenny McCarthy who mindlessly rant about "the evils of vaccination" a forum to spout her nonsense. Another would be, all the people who claim global warming is "made up" when 90% or more of scientists know that it is not.

10. The relegation of any programs about science to special educational television stations. Only PBS has a program like "NOVA" and a relatively small group watches that.

The first step towards fixing this problem would be a media that voluntarily stopped promoting anti-intellectualism. I doubt it will happen in my lifetime.

I agree with your first statement, but disagree with your third paragraph. Most of your examples are the same today as they were in the 1960s. The only ones that have changed since the 60s are #4 and #5 with the growth of conservative radio and the Fox network.

We have more television channels today than the three networks and PBS in the 60s but the game shows, sitcoms and police dramas are similar. I do miss the westerns from the 60s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post

I agree. I have a brother who is convinced that intelligence is mutually exclusive with common sense, and practical skills such as plumbing, electrical and carpentry.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:01 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,642,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
A recent example of anti-intellectualism in America's universities is the shunning of Condoleeza Rice, well-known intellectual and "war criminal" according to the loudest voices at Rutgers. When the loudest voice wins, intellectualism loses.

Rutgers Faculty Doesn't Want 'War Criminal' Condoleezza Rice To Give Commencement Speech

If the intellectuals aren't even running the universities anymore, is intellectualism dead?

Edit: FWIW one of the young protesters at Rutgers said Barack Obama wouldn't be welcome either, because drone strikes make him a "war criminal", too.

I'm not sure how either of those choices would be called "anti-intellectual".

It is very thoughtful choice of the part of the students. Rejection of the status quo usually correlates with intellectualism.

I think there has been a decline in intellectualism, particularly on college campuses of late, also.
But this move by the students of Rutgers gives me hope.

Old 05-10-2014, 12:50 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,409,504 times
Default What has caused the anti intellectualism in our American Culture?

The rise of angry religious fundamentalism.

Old 05-10-2014, 01:05 PM

Pseudo-intellectuals are plentiful however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education