Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2014, 09:30 AM

1,594 posts, read 1,411,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
A big problem is that Schools ruin reading for kids by making them read boring dusty old "Classics". What kind of 8 year old wants to read "A Tale of Two Cities"?

That just ruins it for them.
And science fiction has been getting dumb since Star Wars. LOL

Omnilingual (1957) by H. Beam Piper
Scientific Language: H. Beam Piper
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/19445...-h/19445-h.htm
http://librivox.org/omnilingual-by-h-beam-piper/

But now old stuff is free.

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Scienc...ion_(Bookshelf)

psik
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 12:41 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
And science fiction has been getting dumb since Star Wars. LOL

Omnilingual (1957) by H. Beam Piper
Scientific Language: H. Beam Piper
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/19445...-h/19445-h.htm
http://librivox.org/omnilingual-by-h-beam-piper/

But now old stuff is free.

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Scienc...ion_(Bookshelf)

psik
It may be harder to find the hard science fiction, but there is some good stuff out there that is newer.

Short Stories: Conservation of Shadows by Yoon Ha Lee
Dystopian: The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge
Blindsight by Peter Watts
Darwin's Radio by Greg Bear (some people hate his writing, but love his ideas)
Pushing Ice by Alistair Reynolds

Old 06-20-2014, 01:39 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,391,147 times
Point is, reading should take kids on an adventure. It should be dangerous, risque, maybe even a little scary.

It shouldn't be something they HAVE to do, it should be something they WANT to do.

To the average 12/13 year old Dan Brown or Tom Clancy is 10000x better than Dickens or some other long dead rambler.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:39 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,699,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
rejection of traditional european/american culture
basic hatred of family values, work ethic inc academics
hip hop instead of calculus.
just guessing
People make it way more complicated then what you've said here.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:26 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,733,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post
What has caused the dumbing down of the American Culture? Is it just me or do people in general seem less interested in thinking, learning and knowledge than ever before. I also noticed a general movement towards apathy in many Americans. It seems like we are not really all that concerned about anything outside of our own little world.

Sure there is a share of people who complain about things but they do so with so little knowledge or insight. I can not believe much of what I read on Internet Message Boards. So many people have so little knowledge about the topics of the day.

Look at TV and the movies. The shows are getting more insane and mind numbing every year. This has to be a reflexion of our culture.

Is there an increasing level of anti intellectualism in our culture or has it always been that way?
I believe there was never much intellectual curiosity in the U.S. It's never been that type of country.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:02 AM

1,594 posts, read 1,411,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
I believe there was never much intellectual curiosity in the U.S. It's never been that type of country.
Has any country ever been that type of country? Progress has always been the result of a small percentage of the population.

But what has been the real purpose of education since the latter half of the 19th century?

psik

Old 06-28-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
Has any country ever been that type of country? Progress has always been the result of a small percentage of the population.

But what has been the real purpose of education since the latter half of the 19th century?

psik
The way I see it, in other countries even folks with no access to education longed desperately for it. I don't see that here, and believe there was never a desperate desire for learning and knowledge here.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:54 AM

460 posts, read 982,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I think part of the issue is that most people just don't care about much outside of their own bubble. They're too busy posting what they ate for dinner on social media to pay attention to what's happening in the world. They would rather watch a trashy reality show than read a book. I can't remember the name of it, but there's a movie with Luke Wilson where he gets frozen and wakes up in the future and everyone is so unbelievably dumb. I think it was meant to be a comedy, but I saw it as a horror film.
The movie about a super dumb future in America is called Idiocracy.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:28 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post

Good point. If you're interested, read The Age of American Unreason by Susan Jacoby. She talks about that.

There has always been a note of anti-intellectualism in the US. It has simply become louder.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Good point. If you're interested, read The Age of American Unreason by Susan Jacoby. She talks about that.

There has always been a note of anti-intellectualism in the US. It has simply become louder.
I looked at it on Amazon, and will be ordering it today. Thanks for the recommendation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education