Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 12:16 PM

892 posts, read 2,371,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Sorry but your son wont learn anything if you do his homework and also thats cheating. You can tutor him but he has to solve it on his own. Please read my long post above about my tips to shortening the homework time.
I would do half of everything he has. He would learn everything I was doing, just would only do half. Besides he will be getting 7 hours a day of stuff to learn from the teacher. If they think it is cheating oh well , don't give my son 3 hours of homework, teach him there. If they don't change this by the time my son is in highschool then I plan fighting the school on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2007, 12:30 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,394,047 times
I wouldn't mind that much home work... I go to college and most instructors policy is, for every hour of lecture there is to be as much or more homework...

They've proved it too.... With about 10, one page papers... Which are due Friday... I hate homework.

Old 02-14-2007, 01:08 PM

1,394 posts, read 4,170,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
3 hours of homework is WAY too much IMHO Yorkie, specially for somebody in 6th (if i read correctly) grade. Does she have a problem with the subjects, or is it quite literally she knows what shes doing and it is just taking that long ?
I know when i was in school there was times when it took me three hours to do my homework, simply because i didnt understand parts of it. I had one of them teachers who made you write out the question to help with the answer, never worked.

Id say an hour a day is healthy amount of time for homework.
She is in 6th grade, and she can do most of the work herself, it does take her time, because she wants to make sure that she gets good grades. Some parts she struggles with, but for the most part I would say that I am very proud of her!!!! She has by far passed me with the knowledge that I learned in school.

My family (parents) had ten kids, it was my job to take care of the kids and not homework, so in my childs life the role is reversed, hers is to get good grades, and I will take care of the mother duties. She is a great kid, I love her so much!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-14-2007, 02:21 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,086,761 times
So does your daughter normally have that much homework, or is it just this week that she has the sub? If this is normal, I would talk to the teacher and maybe even the principal. If it's just this week because of the sub, I would suck it up, tell her to do her best.

Student of the month - let me tell you, I always wanted to be student of the month. I got all As and Bs in school, was on honor roll every semester, scored great on my SATs, got into college, etc. I did participate in a couple after-school activities from time to time, but not too much. I never, ever made student of the month. It irritated me so much! Looking back, I completely agree that it is all about favoritism and personality. Please, encourage your daughter to not fret over this, nor become bitter. In the long run, it means nothing. I still got into a great college, did well, and have a very satisfying career. I have great family, good friends, a wonderful husband. While student of the month is fine, it really doesn't mean anything. Your daughter's worth as a student can only be measured by how much she learns.

Old 02-14-2007, 02:36 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,404,425 times
Well if thats the case Yorkie, and 3 hours a night is it, its way too much and i would speak to the teacher / principal. I do think that homework is vita and helps create discipline, but too much can cause a student to hate it, and the homework (and school) will have the opposite affect of what its actually sposed to do.

Old 02-14-2007, 05:43 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,222,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie_Mom View Post
She is in 6th grade, and she can do most of the work herself, it does take her time, because she wants to make sure that she gets good grades. Some parts she struggles with, but for the most part I would say that I am very proud of her!!!! She has by far passed me with the knowledge that I learned in school.
Kudos to your conscientious, young daughter. So many children nowadays don't give school a second thought and couldn't care less about completing homework let alone staying on task in class. She sounds like a great kid with a very supportive mom. Delightful post!!

Old 02-14-2007, 07:36 PM

1,394 posts, read 4,170,930 times
Hey everyone, we have almost made it through another night of long homework, she had two pages of math, not bad, her spelling words, she did good for the first try, 15 right out of 20, and she is trying to finish up on a Civil War project. She has one page to write up, I helped, sorry to bad if you don't like it, MY CHILD NEEDS A BREAK!!!!!!! I will be glad when this week is over.

The teacher will be gone until the middle of March, so she will have the sub for a few more weeks. I have made up my mind, that next week better not be like this one, or I will be making a trip down to her school, and they don't like me, because they think that I stand up to much for my child, and I think that is why she don't get the student of the month thing.
I say too bad, if my child needs me to stand up for her, I will be there in a heart beat, and maybe I go a little overboard with my child, but it is due to an unhealthy up bringing, with so much abuse, that I have went the opposite way with my daughter and may be to over protective, but she is 100% mine and I refuse to let her down. She makes me so proud, even though I have to help her with some things, she has a low self esteem, and I have the same, so sometimes it is hard to help her with hers, when I can't help myself with mine. Thank you all for your input, and I hope all the kids out there get a break, they are only young once, and now they push them to fast to grow up, I don't like it. I am also sorry for not being able to use the right to,too and so on, like I said my job started at seven years old, I had to be a mother to my siblings, a cook, nurse, maid and anything else they wanted to dump on me, so again sorry for not being able to do things correctly. Yorkie

Old 02-14-2007, 08:05 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,463,288 times
Default To MUCH Homework, not enough Done in School

I worked in the Public School System for 14 years, when I heard the term "homeschooling" I thought it was insane.

As years went on and I saw: the amount of time of teachers actually teaching . . . . the focus of school being on prepping for a state test, rather than actually learning . . . . the inability of teachers, because of the high student ratio to teach because of the minority of students who interupt and have discipline problems, the old textbooks, the lack of supervision in the hallways, cafeteria, bus stops, playgrounds . . . I started to look into it.

I was in grammar school and when I was placed in a Middle School, where my son was going to go and went for 1-1/2 years . . . I saw ex-students, beautiful girls, sweet girls . . . and a large minority became indignant to school, and just went BOY Crazy . . . and so influenced.

6th graders wearing thongs, disrespecting, and the boys, who were so sweet earlier . . . many had the "gang" mentality now.

It all starts in the HOME, and the school is not responsible, but my Son was getting straight A's and Honor Roll.

When I saw that in 6th grade his writing and spelling was atrocious, his notetaking abilities nill, his love of reading diminished from the reading contests in our system . . . whoever's class reads the most books teachers get recognition" kids were zooming through books, he felt pressured.

So for 7th and 8th Grade he's been homeschooled. I lost an income to do this, and our concentration has been in his week areas . . . . he's improved, but he has never gotten an A plus yet in English/Language Arts, like he did in public school.

Also he has no interest in anything but Math, now he's reading instead of dry textbooks and questions and multiple choice for history, he's reading historical fiction, doing timelines, and has found an interest in history, especially World War II, and Ancient Rome.

He's studying and learning italian and greek . . . and all of a sudden, he wants to learn.

What I notice most, is his attidude and chip on the shoulder has diminished drastically.

He complains that although he schools only 4-5 hours most day, he's doing more work, and more is required, because he has someone paying attention to what he does know and doesn't.

We can review things and take our time, and speed up when needed.

High School is next year, and I am not sure what we are going to do. He wants to go to high school to play baseball and for the social stuff, and I understand that . . . but I hate to see him go back to the way it was before.

School today is so different and I'm only 40. But working there I saw how much "stress" the good kids were under, the bullying, gangs, drugs, sex.

We lost a beloved teacher at 45, and our Principal went on the loudspeaker after the Math Teacher's death, and we had a moment of silence, and the Principal dared said a short prayer . . . . the parents in the office at the time, many complained, and we were flooded the next day with telephone calls about the audacity for this Principal to include a prayer.

Things have gotten way out of hand, parents, go to your kids school and observe the teachers . . . . many are GREAT, many are on cell phones, passing out worksheets for the most part, and many are not teaching.

My son had a few good teachers, it's a shame, if more of them were like these wonderful men and lady, and if parents took the time to spend with their kids and actually show them love, and caring, along with discipline, our schools would be a better place.

Just my opinion for what it's worth.

Old 02-14-2007, 08:07 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,463,288 times
Default Homework

I know I got off topic, but the homework my son was doing in 5th and 6th grade, and the projects and studying was insane.

Monday through Thursday there was a minimum of 2 hours, most nights were 3-4 hours, not including reading or studying . . . . I think it's way too much work, when you consider how many hours they are in school a day.

Old 02-14-2007, 08:16 PM

986 posts, read 2,807,705 times
lifesign64...the public schools are just not working for our kids, your story is sad but true. My son went to public school, I hated it. High school was little better. Now my daughter is in Catholic school. If I can't keep her in catholic school, I will home school her.

yorkie_mom...hang in there with your daughter...Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education