Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2008, 07:58 AM

28,896 posts, read 53,983,212 times

Advertisements

I think a school has an absolute right to not have teachers looking like biker skanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 06:02 PM

789 posts, read 1,329,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I think a school has an absolute right to not have teachers looking like biker skanks.
Tattoos make someone a biker skank?

Old 10-21-2008, 06:15 PM

901 posts, read 2,980,509 times
Toobusy,
We're not really disagreeing. I think that your comments were a little bit harsh. But as I said, teachers (acutally, any professional person) should know better. Unfortunately, I have worked with many people who do not know how to dress. I'm talking about scantily clad women and slopply, dirty looking men. It just looks horrible. I personally, would not be too offended if the teacher's union included a dress code. No woman should go and work around children in a tank top with spaghetti straps. Nor should any man arrive at school looking like he just rolled out of bed. JMHO

Old 10-21-2008, 07:01 PM

13,249 posts, read 33,387,446 times
Sam,
I was thinking about this conversation on my way to work this morning and realized that the dress code that I was thinking of for teachers (the same one you are mentioning above^) is similar to the one we follow at the library where I work. The youth librarians sometimes wear jeans (nice ones) but for the most part we all wear clean, wrinkle-free clothes that don't show cleavage, pants or skirts that are not too short and shoes that are comfortable to work in. Doesn't seem too much to ask does it?

Old 10-21-2008, 07:13 PM

901 posts, read 2,980,509 times
Yes! It looks like we are now 100% in agreement. I'm not exactly sure why schools have no dress code. Theoretically, they should not be neccessary. Realistically, we seem to need them. Let's not forget that some teachers are very young (22) and truely may not know better. Although, I have to say some teachers who dressed inappropriately at my school were middle aged. We could go on about this forever. The problem is that propriety is subjective and there should be some kind of rules. Personally, I do not think that tattoos should be banned unless the content is lewd.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:02 PM

144 posts, read 550,832 times
I am a young teacher. I have no tattoos and dress professionally. However, if I did have a tattoo, what would it matter ? I am a good teacher before, and I will still be a good teacher after wards. My students wouldn't have problems with it. They would ask once, and that would be it. Kids are accepting and I think it wouldn't hurt some adults to be a little more accepting. That being said, I think it's a matter of taste. If I had a naked lady on my arm, absolutely I should have to cover that up. Stars or ladybugs or a child's initials...I don't think those things are distasteful or show a person is unprofessional. I have students with mohawks or crayon colored hair. It's just a sign of the times.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:11 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,608,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Since when did having tattoo's make someone a skank; and since when are bikers automatically skanks?

Old 06-04-2009, 03:20 PM

223 posts, read 529,683 times
You know as a "professional" I think that they should be covered up. As a teacher, I want to be seen as professional and dress profesionally. I have worked with colleagues in the past that can't dress themselves, and I think that makes them look unprofessional. I also think that the kids do not need to be seeing tatoos.....nothing wrong with tatoos, just not appropriate in the workplace.....

Old 06-06-2009, 11:36 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,321,025 times
I teach at a private school in Missouri (no board overseeing us, all our policies are outlined in a manual written collectively by the administrators and teacher delegates).

I, along with the majority of the staff, who are mainly between the ages of 23-40, have body art. Mine isn't visible at school, because it would only be visible were I to wear something backless. But many people's is visible. There are no regulations regarding tattoos. There ARE regulations regarding cleavage, though.

I got my two tattoos well into my twenties/my professional life, and personally, chose to have them done specifically so that they would be easily coverable if the situation, work or otherwise, warranted. I love my tattoos, or I wouldn't have gotten them, but I certainly didn't want them to become a straw for somebody else to pitifully grasp at to decide that they could make an incorrect assumption about my ability to perform my job flawlessly due to a fashion choice. Nobody will ever have the opportunity to ignorantly reprimand me over body art at work, because I don't have to show it at work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education