Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2008, 11:39 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
My wife is a teacher and I'm a data analyst/programmer. Compared to me, she has far more holidays and time off, with shorter work days, and a better retirment plan. On top of that, on an hourly our basis ( including all the extra at-home hrs ), her hourly wage is higher than mine, and has a shorter commute to work. In most rural areas of the country, teaching is one of the highest paying jobs available. So to all of you teachers out there...you don't realize how good you have it compared to the great mass of working humanity. If you were to average out all the compensation earned by workers in all professions and jobs, teachers are waaaay above the average. Obviously, you're not earning a doctors salary, or a CEOs salary, but you got it better than most people who must work for a living. If the money was REALLY priority #1, you wouldn't be teaching anyway, would you?

I've been a teacher. I taught for a few years (HS level) but I've earned MUCH more in commerical industry. I will admit that the time off was great, but teaching is a very high-energy job, meaning that you're on your feet continuously all day every day and trying to monitor the activity of 30 devious teens while simultaneously delivering instruction and activities that all need to be graded and recorded. It's a job that also demands an extremely high degree of organization to do it well.

In industry, the pace is much more relaxed. But in sketchy economic times like we're now entering, that job security in education is starting to look pretty good. Even though it would be a tremendous cut in pay, not having to look over my shoulder constantly wondering if I'm part of the next layoff would be reassuring.

All occupations have their plusses and minusses. Education is no different. But I will say (with some first-hand experience) that in general, teaching is undervalued and underpaid. Lots of people seem to think that "anyone can teach." To them I say, "try it."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 11:57 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
Old Gringo wrote:
All occupations have their plusses and minusses. Education is no different. But I will say (with some first-hand experience) that in general, teaching is undervalued and underpaid. Lots of people seem to think that "anyone can teach." To them I say, "try it."
So ture!

For me, teaching is not a job that I ever wanted to do. You couldn't pay me enough to put up with all the classroom crap and the many layers of bureaucracy. For those of you who chose the teaching profession, you must have known going into it that your earning potential would be less than many other professions. You must have known going into it at you would have to deal with government bureaucracy. Yet you chose the teaching profession anyway. For those of you who entered the profession without being aware of these things, now you know. If it's really that bad, and you feel underpaid and/or under-appreciated...leave the profession and do something else....if you can find another job in this economy.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:46 PM

178 posts, read 360,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
You're terribly misinformed. Or else being dishonest. I won't speculate on which it is.

Go ahead and join the good life, then. New teachers are in such short supply in many areas that uncertified individuals are regularly hired. Get in on the gravy train.

Sounds to me like you're very bitter over failing to get a teaching position at some point in the past. But I may be off base here.
which states or geographical locations are there such shortages? if you have just a BA in some states you can teach but do you then have to get a cert. after so much time and how long does it take? please let me know how to do this.

Old 12-04-2008, 04:44 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,439,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metamucil View Post
which states or geographical locations are there such shortages? if you have just a BA in some states you can teach but do you then have to get a cert. after so much time and how long does it take? please let me know how to do this.
Here are a few links to help get you started. Hope they're useful to you.

Teach For America - Home

Teacher Certification (Domestic): Overview (http://www.iteachtexas.com/Alternative-Teacher-Certification/ - broken link)

Teach NM: Alternative Licensure Options (http://www.teachnm.org/alternative_licensure.html - broken link)

Old 12-04-2008, 08:54 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Good post. My wife and I both teach elementary school. We do fine and live in an area with a higher cost of living (DC suburb). I agree with most of what you said. I am in my 16th year. It gets better if you stick with it. I did summer school for about 13 of the years to gain a little extra and for the last few it was so that she could stay at home in the summer with our son. The last two we have both been home for June and July and it is nice. I agree, as long as you budget and don't live outside your means, you do ok. We aren't house poor, we put $ into an annuity and a education 529, our cars are not old, and we can travel, without being too lavish. The state and county retirement systems are very good.
I posted this back in October and I still say I am not one to complain about my job. Yes, I just stopped checking student work at 10:30 p.m., after putting my son to bed at 8:30 and then getting some work ready for a group tomorrow. I work hard, BUT I know that I can look forward to winter break which runs from Dec. 24-Jan 4. That is followed by a four day weekend in January.

How much salary is or isn't "enough"? You can go on many district pages and see the payscales. I figured out that my salary, figured hourly (only using the 7.5 daily contract hours with 194 workdays), is about $49.00. My wife's, $46.50. And in this economy, my job is very secure. For that I am oh, so thankful!

Old 12-05-2008, 01:41 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,695,475 times
Quote:
ah, actually I've made many posts in this thread and read the whole thing. Go back and re-read.

I've summed up many of the tired and usual complaints of teachers and compared them to what many people in the business or blue collar world go through and here's a NewsFlash: the things that have been complained about by teachers are the same things many other people have to deal with every singe day, like 52 weeks a year! You guys aren't any different.

and the last comment about having to stoop down and tie a kids shoe?? how teaching K-garten is physical? Standing on you feet all day. again, it just shows how small-minded and victimized many teachers are. And there's no reason for it. We in the private sector deal with the exact same things.
I'm glade your self taught and never needed a teacher in life. You must have a high IQ. I, myself, could never go without a teacher. The good ones especially.

Again, you are talking about one person and not including the rest.

People in the private sector deal with what? Please elaborate. Tantrums, insults, parents... ect..?

Old 12-05-2008, 11:17 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,347,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam82 View Post
After a year working in the pre-k, my back was shot. Any job where you are constanty standing can be tiring. I also did a lot of lifting. I had to go up and down stairs alot. Up until last year I taught in a room with no AC in 90+ degree weather. Once again, I never said that teaching is the MOST physically demanding job out there, but it is not the same as sitting at a desk all day.
standing, lifting, stairs not the same as an office job. True.
But you said that teaching kindy was "Physically demanding" and it is not at all. Period. Maybe it is physical, i.e. you are not sitting on your fanny all day behind a desk, you are physically "active". There is a difference between being physically "active" in your job and having a job that is physically "demanding".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam82 View Post
Think what you want about teaching. I am done defending the profession. Hearing from people like you makes me understand why the children behave the way that they do. The parents are so ignorant as to what happens in the classroom, that they do not respect what teachers do and provide support.
People like me!?!?! What, because I questioned the part about your job being physically demanding? Frankly, that is an ignorant response. Are you assuming that my children do not behave in school because I questioned your level of physical activity and because I said kindy teachers have an easier job than high school teachers? How ignorant. I know what happens in the classroom, I respect what my children's teachers do, and I provide them the support necessary as a concerned parent.

Cry over their salary, I do not. Cry because they are being physically worked to the bone, I do not. Respect them, I do. My son's second grade teacher is teaching him one of the most important skills he will ever learn, one which will affect everything else he learns, which is how to read. If she is not effective at her job, my son's entire education and career goals are at risk. Therefore, I highly respect the work she does. Watching my son learn to read has been one of the most amazing things I have seen him do and I am so proud of him. And he couldn't have done it w/out his teachers. So don't put words in my mouth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by endersshadow View Post
Wow. I had written out something to respond to this, and then I had to erase it after reading more of the thread. I can't believe you replied as much as you did, especially after receiving such snobbish responses. There are two sayings I'd like to bring up: People hear only what they want to hear and if you don't get it, you don't get it.

You're right in quitting while you're ahead. Either people are too stubborn to listen to someone that has experience in the field or they're (intellectually) incapable of understanding. More than likely, it's the former.
By the way, when I say experience in the field, I do not mean volunteering in the classroom, observing a classroom setting, or even substituting.
Too stubborn to listen to someone w/experience? People have listened. And disagreed. That is not being stubborn, that is having an opinion.
Quote:
NewsFlash: the things that have been complained about by teachers are the same things many other people have to deal with every singe day, like 52 weeks a year! You guys aren't any different.
We in the private sector deal with the exact same things.
couldn't rep you again....
Quote:
You're terribly misinformed. Or else being dishonest. I won't speculate on which it is.

Go ahead and join the good life, then. New teachers are in such short supply in many areas that uncertified individuals are regularly hired. Get in on the gravy train.
Sounds to me like you're very bitter over failing to get a teaching position at some point in the past. But I may be off base here.
You directed this to metamucil, but I'll answer it because I agree with many of the things he/she has stated.
I, for one, have considered the teaching profession. I am a stay at home mother. I already have a B.A. in Geography. I enjoy children and would love to teach. I don't need the money but would really love to get my hands on that retirement plan. I would also like a job with that type of schedule, which I don't see how anyone can argue that the schedule is not fantastic.....esp. if you've got kids.

I've had other jobs. There is no gravy train.

But if I do become a teacher, I won't be complaining about my salary when I can get my family's health insurance paid for 80% for a low rate, have all the time off, not have to worry about whose going to take care of my children during school vacations, and again, have a retirement plan that those in the private sector can only dream of.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
My wife is a teacher and I'm a data analyst/programmer. Compared to me, she has far more holidays and time off, with shorter work days, and a better retirment plan. On top of that, on an hourly basis ( including all the extra at-home hrs ), her hourly wage is higher than mine, and has a shorter commute to work. In most rural areas of the country, teaching is one of the highest paying jobs available. So to all of you teachers out there...you don't realize how good you have it compared to the great mass of working humanity. If you were to average out all the compensation earned by workers in all professions and jobs, teachers are waaaay above the average. Obviously, you're not earning a doctors salary, or a CEOs salary, but you got it better than most people who must work for a living. If the money was REALLY priority #1, you wouldn't be teaching anyway, would you?
Thank you for your perspective, you are in a good position to offer up a comparison.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEPA-x-pat View Post
As a career educator, (nearing the age I can retire..shudder) I can say that no, you don't go into it for the money, you don't go into it for the vacations (for which you aren't paid by the way), the summers off, nor do you do it for the respect (from the looks of this post there is a lot of posters that really do not hold the profession in the highest regard). You do it because you love teaching. If you don't you usually don't spend a career doing it.

To all those who complain all the time about teaching (a lot of my friends say I wish I had a job like that, wish I had that time off, bla bla), all I can say is, if it is that easy or that good a job....why don't you become a teacher? In the original post, it was mentioned that there isn't a shortage of teachers. Where are you located. In Virginia, there is a critical shortage of teachers especially special ed, math and science teachers. They are advertising on TV for career switchers to become teachers..so come on, here is your chance to step up and not just complain.
Silly statement, some people don't want to become teachers, but that doesn't stop them from having a right to discuss whether the pay scale for a teacher is appropriate for the job, as we are the ones "paying" the teachers through our property taxes. So we have every right to join in this discussion, even those who have no desire to become teachers. You have the right to discuss the salary of a garbage collector, and I wouldn't recommend you go ahead and become one if you felt they were being overly compensated for the job.

Quote:
I've been a teacher. I taught for a few years (HS level) but I've earned MUCH more in commerical industry. I will admit that the time off was great, but teaching is a very high-energy job, meaning that you're on your feet continuously all day every day and trying to monitor the activity of 30 devious teens while simultaneously delivering instruction and activities that all need to be graded and recorded. It's a job that also demands an extremely high degree of organization to do it well.

In industry, the pace is much more relaxed. But in sketchy economic times like we're now entering, that job security in education is starting to look pretty good. Even though it would be a tremendous cut in pay, not having to look over my shoulder constantly wondering if I'm part of the next layoff would be reassuring.

I didn't hear anyone here say that "anyone can teach" I don't believe that for a minute. Some of the worst teachers I have ever seen are those that had no business whatsoever being teachers. You either have it or you don't, with maybe some in the middle that can learn what they need to be effective. Teachers that cannot effectively perform are useless to the students.

I agree that in many respect teachers are undervalued. They do not get the respect that they deserve for the absolutely second most important group of people in a child's life (second only to the child's parents). And in some instances, yes they are underpaid. But not always. And for those teachers, like Sam... who come up w/something like "teaching is physically demanding" just makes a mockery of the profession and people who defend that stance appear to be whiny....I mean really. In the current economic climate, this discussion is really left best un-debated. Because, like you said, the relative job security that teachers hold is very very desireable and not something that many in the private sector have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
I'm glade your self taught and never needed a teacher in life. You must have a high IQ. I, myself, could never go without a teacher. The good ones especially.
People in the private sector deal with what? Please elaborate. Tantrums, insults, parents... ect..?
People in the private sector deal w/all of that, are you kidding me????????
If you think you have the worst in teaching hearing it from whiney kids and complaining parents, take a look at corporate America. You cannot go to the bathroom anytime you want when you are a teacher? My father just quit his job as a call center technician when his prick of a boss informed him that they would all have to ask permission to use the restroom. Try having an a$$hole boss breathing down you neck EVERY five minutes, instead of a principal popping in however often principals pop into classrooms. Yes, office workers my sit on their butts, but knowing that any minute they may be called into the office and get the axe, esp. in this economy, is a huge stress as well.
My DH is in the medical field, try that job if you don't like yours.
You don't have the market cornered on dealing w/brats and jerks. Trust me, they are out there, everywhere.

The topic here is whether or not teachers are underpaid. Since salaries vary widely, this depends on the school district and the amount of hours they work.

But of course, we all get OT and here we are.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:45 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post

I work in the private sector, as a registered nurse. Currently I am working for a for-profit pedicatric group. We deal with the above. Insults happen in any job that requires dealing with the public. I was at the grocery store yesterday and some of the clerks were talking about the rude behavior of some of the customers. If you're selling anything, whether it's phone service or IT service or pediatric medicine service or whatever, you deal with insults. I've heard "is this any way to run a business?" more than once from our patients' parents. Try being a wait-person. You think you've heard insults?

Old 12-06-2008, 08:36 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,202,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I work in the private sector, as a registered nurse. Currently I am working for a for-profit pedicatric group. We deal with the above. Insults happen in any job that requires dealing with the public. I was at the grocery store yesterday and some of the clerks were talking about the rude behavior of some of the customers. If you're selling anything, whether it's phone service or IT service or pediatric medicine service or whatever, you deal with insults. I've heard "is this any way to run a business?" more than once from our patients' parents. Try being a wait-person. You think you've heard insults?
I was a waiter before I became a nurse. You'd be surprised how petty, immature, and ignorant some people are. I've literally been cussed at for 5 minutes straight because someone didn't think there was enough pep on their pizza. AND I DIDN'T EVEN MAKE THE PIZZAS.

Old 12-07-2008, 01:37 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,695,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I work in a call center. If you buy any electronic device, i get to deal with everyone in here, everyday.

My wife tells me about the people she has to deal with and i couldn't do it. I've worked driving a donut truck and dealt with the general public face to face and the managers of grocery stores, i still wouldn't deal with what she has to put up with. I've had every low end job you can think of. I know how you people are.

Why do people take one word and expand it into a paragraph to try to persuade you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education