U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-25-2008, 12:21 PM

41,282 posts, read 44,080,184 times
In the end if teacher really wants more money with less security they should go into orivate teaching.That's what many police and frieman doi.Governamnt is never going to pay waht the priavte sector does but teh benefits and job security are good. Not many places having poblems getting teahcers it seem.I ahve a friend who is a teacher. He went back and got his accoutnign degree and then his CPA . He went back to tachign as he said the hpours ;days worked and security was so good. He now uses his accounts degree on the side.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 12:32 PM

620 posts, read 1,296,988 times
Texdav-In my area- teachers are paid MUCH MUCH less at private schools and they usually do NOT have benefits.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:47 PM

74 posts, read 181,485 times
Not all states have tenure either, they are called 'right to work states' Even in states that have tenure, teachers can still easily get released besides obvious reasons.

My friends always joke around with me about working 9 months, but they still understand the amount of hours many teachers work that add up to a full 12 month job. And if a coach or sponsor tries to figure out the hourly pay they get for their after school duties, its usually a few dollars an hour.

I too, work in the summer, every summer to make ends meet.

We are NOT paid for 12 months, but rather for 9, we just have the option to extend payments over 12 months. So there is a choice there, but bottom line its 9 months of payment.

Sure we get x-mas break, spring vacation, and other major holiday's...so anyone that ever says 'you guys got it easy' I have two response;
-your welcome anytime to my classroom and I will leave you alone with 30 high school students.
-Or, simply become a teacher yourself and quit complaining.

I always get the response 'I'll stick with the job I have ' (this was a recent response I got from one of my best friends who makes over 100k a year as a construction foreman, never went to college either...he's 28)

You'll never hear a complaint from me or many of my teaching friends about what we make because we love our jobs. Even if I had to take a big pay cut, I would certianly wouldn't leave! I would do what I had to, to make ends meet because I am %100 dedicated to being an educator.

Old 10-25-2008, 01:05 PM

901 posts, read 1,767,635 times
This is just a general comment. I refuse to talk about politics because I don't really follow them. I would feel very silly discussing something that I know very little about. Here on this board, some of you feel very comfortable discussing things you know very little about.

My cousin is a housewife. We talk several times a week (see lives about 1,000 miles away). Does that mean that I know what it is like to be a housewife? No way! I know that she works hard and raising 3 children while your husband is away fighting a war has to be hard. But I will never know what it is like because I have not "walked in her shoes". I cannot understand how those of you who have friends or family members that are teachers think that you know how it is. Can we be real for a second?

Old 10-25-2008, 01:27 PM

Sam82-I think the reason so many people feel that they are "qualified" to understand what it is like for a teacher is; they have sat in a classroom before.

Old 10-25-2008, 02:32 PM

901 posts, read 1,767,635 times
yes, that is true. But it is impossible for a student to see all of the additional work and planning that goes into teaching. Although some teaching may seem effortless, it hardly ever is. Being a teacher and being a student are two different experiences and they cannot be compared.

Old 10-25-2008, 02:58 PM

115 posts, read 209,865 times
Sam that's a really good point. When teaching looks effortless, you have a sign of a good teacher, because all of the work that must go into preparing and delivering lessons is both work intensive and time consuming.

Old 10-25-2008, 03:00 PM

414 posts, read 848,443 times
Where do some of these people get the idea that teachers are paid for a full year? They do not. Teachers are paid based on workdays not calendar days. The checks are simply spread out through the course of the year to help out the state and districts on a financial level.

Old 10-25-2008, 03:11 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,456,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newflowers View Post
I was thinking the same thing - amazing how people who know teachers but have never been a teacher are experts. It does seem a bit odd that the tone of some of resentment and angernderscores so many of the posts. Past unresolved issues?

I can only speak for my local school districts, but teachers are paid for ten months of the year. Some districts will divide that into twelve paychecks; however, most do not, though the credit union will help with financial arrangements for the lean summer months. It seems a common misconception that teachers are paid for not working - oh so not true. I work during the summer in addition to the mandatory school meetings, trainings, etc., I also take classes because the CEUs are required to renew my credential. For those teachers who actually get to vacation and have summer off - HURRAY!!!!
Great indirect rebuttal. Typical. To afraid to address me directly, so you talk around me. I'm here, lets debate. I don' bite, promise! What do you disagree with in my post? At least the other teacher here debates on topic. I might not agree, but he argues his points of view well. Generalizing and finger pointing proves nothing.

The summary of my position is based on the following. Very simply to follow.

1. We are tired of the Teacher's union controlling our failing education system. Holding it hostage if you will.

2. We are tired of hearing how very bad and lazy teachers can;t be fired. No, you're not all lazy, but you know many are. If you are good and motivated at your educator job, you don't need the union protecting your job. It works fine for the other 99% of us out there. Or I should say, it has too.

3. We are tired of the whinning about how tough your job is.

4. We are tired of how underpaid you are. Again, the demand for these jobs proves this is false.

Show us a nice finished product, (our kids) and break your union and I'll quit griping too.

Old 10-25-2008, 03:14 PM

Sam- I hope you understand that I am siding with you. I KNOW they can't be compared. Personally, I was saying that I "think" some people feel they are an expert in the education field because they have sat in the classroom before. They don't understand that there is a lot more to it. Its like saying," Oh, I know that water goes down the drain... I can be a plumber. It must be easy.I have seen it happen with my own eyes."

People STILL believe ANYONE CAN TEACH!

It is just very sad to see some of the comments on this thread. Hopefully, in the future PARENTS, Teachers, and Students can be a team. I stress that at the beginning of the year with everyone in my class.

I have a feeling that a lot of the comments that are being made are from people that do not even have children in an educational setting.

Its amazing how many pages of comments there are on this thread. I am not sure if this thread is any better off than it was at the beginning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education