U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2008, 06:53 AM

520 posts, read 2,170,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
You do teach an objective subject, I can imagine that your tests and project are alot easier to grade than, say, an essay or term paper. Teaching math is not that hard.

Have you taught math? Teaching math is not easy. I've done it, and it can be very frustrating trying to explain something to a child that just does not get it. I do not think that grading is the hardest part of a teacher's job.
I no longer teach math, and I am happy about that as it was not my main favorite subject and was probably my least favorite subject to teach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 08:20 AM

901 posts, read 2,497,958 times
This is getting silly. First of all, I never went into teaching for the two months off, nor an easy job. I went in to teaching to work with children and help them have a chance at a better life. I work in one of the worst areas of the country. It is VERY tough. Still, you will never find a post on here complaining about my salaray. I believe the only thing is said was that teachers do a spend a lot out of pocket for our jobs (of course this varies by teacher).

Say what you want, but nothing can prepare you for being in a classroom full of children by yourself. Not even student teaching really prepared me; it is a whole different ball game. Many of the teachers here were trying to enlighten you, because you won't know unless you have done it.

There is no good reason to bash a profession of hard-working, educated individuals. Those of you who think teaching is easy, go and do it and you too can have all the "perks".

Old 11-29-2008, 08:48 AM

48 posts, read 168,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMTeacher View Post
Then you obviously have an easy job- good for you. You can't compare teaching 1 subject with block scheduling to elementary, for instance.
I teach Reading/Writing, social studies, science, spanish, health, handwriting, and Math. I have a 30 min. prep and I work until 3:30 (contracted) but stay until 4:30 or 5 most days.

You should really read most of the posts before you assume that we are all complaining. We are all just defending our jobs and trying to educate those people who don't work in education and think they know our jobs so well.

I'm not sure I even believe that you are a teacher. If you are, I hope that your attitude changes because I hate for other non-teacher people to hear what you are saying and think that we all have it so easy. You don't speak for all of us. I work very hard and am not complaining about my job or salary.
You guys are complaining. No one made you teach elementary...NO ONE! That was your choice but now you (maybe not you but previous posters) complain about what you have to put up with. I'm sure you knew what you were going to have to put up w/ before you started.

If you don't believe I'm a teacher, that's your problem. I have better things to do than to come on an education forum and "pretend" I'm a teacher. Spare me.

By the way, currently, I teach 2 subjects that will most likely go to 3 next year. There are a lot of subjects/courses that math encompasses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMTeacher View Post
I have never met at teacher who brags about how easy their job is. You are the kind of teacher that give teachers a bad name. Talk to teachers in other grade levels and see if they agree. Teachers don't have it easy and therefore you can't compare your cushy job with the kind of teaching that some of us do. If you are staying at your job because of how easy it is, then that's sad. Teach a 3-5th grade class and tell me how easy it easy. You have no idea what teaching is like, especially if you just started.
I'm not bragging. The poster I responded to said teachers don't work 6hr days. I felt like popping in and letting him/her know that there are districts where teachers work 6hr days.

Anyway, I'm just trying to let some "non-teachers" know, from a teacher, that I think some of you guys are being melodramatic. Like I said, you chose elementary; you knew you were going to have to teach EVERY subject under the sun; why the complaints? I'm sure you chose elementary b/c you enjoy it. Well, if you enjoy it, stop complaining. EVERYONE has to put up w/ stuff they don't enjoy. It's kind of a give n take sort of thing. I'm just the type of person who believes that if you think it's soooo bad that you have to come to a forum and "let us know how bad your job is (or, how tough you have it as a teacher)", I don't think you should be doing it. Complaining gets you nowhere. Either suck it up or switch jobs. No one is making you stay there.

Also, who said I was staying at my job b/c it was easy? You never read that in my post sooooo...try not to "assume" anything. You know what they say about people who assume. I stay at my job b/c I like kids, I like helping people, I love motivating, I like teaching subjects most people find difficult and I like teaching kids that they can do things they never thought they could (i.e. a lot of students think they suck @ math). Will I be a h.s. teacher forever? Who knows. Like I said in one of my previous posts, I didn't go to school to be a teacher (pre-med) but I'm teaching for now and I enjoy it. If I stick w/ teaching, teaching at the university would be my goal but I'm enjoying h.s. for now.

Concerning your comment, suggesting I teach a 3rd-5th grade class: not going to happen! Elementary doesn't interest me; it's not my cup of tea. Like I said earlier, you (or whoever is complaining) chose elementary (or whatever grade/subj they're teaching) so stop complaining...

Quote:
You do teach an objective subject, I can imagine that your tests and project are alot easier to grade than, say, an essay or term paper. Teaching math is not that hard.
LOL. Yeah, that makes A LOT of sense. Hence the shortage of math teachers. By the way, nothing is that hard if you're good at it. Perhaps those of you complaining are teaching the wrong subject?

**For the record, I teach in one of the worst high schools in the district! Do you see me complaining? No! So, I DON'T have a "cushy" job (as MMT eluded). I just don't believe in complaining about something you chose to do.

**For the record again, if you don't think you were complaining on this thread then obviously I wasn't talking about you...or your post. My comments are directed towards the teachers who complain about how hard their job is, their salary, etc.

Last edited by ArtisticAthlete; 11-29-2008 at 10:19 AM..

Old 11-29-2008, 09:03 AM

48 posts, read 168,828 times
Quote:
I just had to throw my $0.02 in on this one. I don't think you should use the word easy/hard when talking about grading. Perhaps you meant "more time consuming" b/c we all know it's not hard to grade a bunch of essay papers. All you have to do is sit there and read it; how "hard" is that? But, time consuming? Yes. Grading an essay is definitely more time consuming than grading a math test. But then again, how many essays does a h.s./middle school student have to write? Not that many...

Old 11-29-2008, 12:51 PM

517 posts, read 1,582,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtisticAthlete View Post
You guys are complaining. No one made you teach elementary...NO ONE! That was your choice but now you (maybe not you but previous posters) complain about what you have to put up with. I'm sure you knew what you were going to have to put up w/ before you started.

Concerning your comment, suggesting I teach a 3rd-5th grade class: not going to happen! Elementary doesn't interest me; it's not my cup of tea. Like I said earlier, you (or whoever is complaining) chose elementary (or whatever grade/subj they're teaching) so stop complaining...

We do like our jobs, in fact, I love mine. I chose elementary and I plan to stay here. I am not on here complaining- just responding to non-teachers who don't know what they are talking about- because they are not teachers. I have never pretended to know someone's job. But, alot of people out there think they know what it's like to teach. I don't know your job until I do it and you don't know mine.

Had you read my posts, you would see that I have never complained about my salary or teaching. I am just explaining the job for those that don't know.

I'm stopping here- I am getting tired of saying the same thing and nobody is listening. It's like to talking to the walls when it comes to this topic here.

Do what makes you happy and I'll do the same.

Old 11-29-2008, 02:21 PM

389 posts, read 887,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
I see this all the time, teachers complaining non stop about how they don't get paid enough on and on. Yet, I see no shortage of teachers and from the looks of it the retention rate for teachers is very high. To further my case, I see a lot of people who are trying to get teaching jobs. Seems like they get paid too much considering how many qualified people are looking for teaching jobs.
Yes, because we want to pay our teachers less and get even less quality than what we have.

Teachers teach because they love to teach. You don't do it because of the money. And, as I've said in the past, life isn't all about money.

Old 11-29-2008, 03:32 PM

43,858 posts, read 41,709,683 times
I don't think teachers complain any more about their salaries or hours than most of the rest of us. All of us would like to make more...doing less....but we know we are lucky to have jobs and a salary we can survive comfortably on. Considering the economy, many people can't say the same.

Old 11-29-2008, 04:22 PM

517 posts, read 1,582,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I don't think teachers complain any more about their salaries or hours than most of the rest of us. All of us would like to make more...doing less....but we know we are lucky to have jobs and a salary we can survive comfortably on. Considering the economy, many people can't say the same.
Thank you for your comment. We are all human, who wouldn't want more. That doesn't mean we're not happy with what we make. In these times, having a job is the most important thing.

Old 11-29-2008, 04:24 PM

1,390 posts, read 1,961,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissajo View Post
I am a 2nd grade teacher. I make 34,000 a year. This is my third year.

I am in my classroom from 7am (or earlier) until 4pm (or later if there are meetings, etc). I have papers to grade that I am forced to take home. I spend hours a week grading them. I can't stand to hear people say I have the summer off. Last year, I had 2 weeks off during the summer-after meetings, inservices, trainings, etc. It takes weeks to get a classroom together and copies made, and lesson plans written prior to the start of school.

In my area, it is typical to have a class of about 20 students. I have 4 special ed, 3 ESL, 11 below grade level (6 that are two grade levels below), 2 at level, 4 above level. My job is stressful. I am constantly trying to supervise and take care of my 17 students. I am responsible for ensuring they eat breakfast, lunch, and atleast one snack a day. I am responsible for sending kids to the nurse to get showers, if their parents didn't bother to do it. I am responsible for ensuring kids have coats, shoes, etc. I spend 2-3000 dollars of my own money a year on school. By law, I can only write off 250 on my taxes. My district provides 25. My PTO provides 100.

I love my kids, and they are why I went in to teaching. But the bottom line is, toll booth workers make more than I do, and my state's retirement program is crap. When I retire, I can qualify for food stamps! And though I love my kids, the money is the number one reason why I consider leaving. My husband, who has no college degree, makes 3 times what I do and is entitled to 5 weeks a year vacation time each year. Plus he gets an hour lunch every day. I do good to get 15 minutes. And your plan time is used for just that-planning, setting up for a project, or in meetings. It's not a true break.

The number two reason, is stress. I spend 3-4 nights a week in meetings after school. Atleast once a week I have something before school. I have parents dropping in unannounced. And don't get me started on the stress No Child Left Behind and State testing adds.

Teacher's deserve a raise. Don't believe me? Volunteer a week at your local school.

Wow I didnt know teachers had so much to do outside of the classroom. Yes by reading your post you defintely have to LOVE teaching. I know me personally I wouldnt be able to handle being a teacher.

Old 11-29-2008, 07:07 PM

8,240 posts, read 14,268,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtisticAthlete View Post

If you don't believe I'm a teacher, that's your problem. I have better things to do than to come on an education forum and "pretend" I'm a teacher. Spare me.

By the way, currently, I teach 2 subjects that will most likely go to 3 next year. There are a lot of subjects/courses that math encompasses.

I'm not bragging. The poster I responded to said teachers don't work 6hr days. I felt like popping in and letting him/her know that there are districts where teachers work 6hr days.

Anyway, I'm just trying to let some "non-teachers" know, from a teacher, that I think some of you guys are being melodramatic. Like I said, you chose elementary; you knew you were going to have to teach EVERY subject under the sun; why the complaints? I'm sure you chose elementary b/c you enjoy it. Well, if you enjoy it, stop complaining. EVERYONE has to put up w/ stuff they don't enjoy. It's kind of a give n take sort of thing. I'm just the type of person who believes that if you think it's soooo bad that you have to come to a forum and "let us know how bad your job is (or, how tough you have it as a teacher)", I don't think you should be doing it. Complaining gets you nowhere. Either suck it up or switch jobs. No one is making you stay there.

Also, who said I was staying at my job b/c it was easy? You never read that in my post sooooo...try not to "assume" anything. You know what they say about people who assume. I stay at my job b/c I like kids, I like helping people, I love motivating, I like teaching subjects most people find difficult and I like teaching kids that they can do things they never thought they could (i.e. a lot of students think they suck @ math). Will I be a h.s. teacher forever? Who knows. Like I said in one of my previous posts, I didn't go to school to be a teacher (pre-med) but I'm teaching for now and I enjoy it. If I stick w/ teaching, teaching at the university would be my goal but I'm enjoying h.s. for now.

LOL. Yeah, that makes A LOT of sense. Hence the shortage of math teachers. By the way, nothing is that hard if you're good at it. Perhaps those of you complaining are teaching the wrong subject?

**For the record, I teach in one of the worst high schools in the district! Do you see me complaining? No! So, I DON'T have a "cushy" job (as MMT eluded). I just don't believe in complaining about something you chose to do.

**For the record again, if you don't think you were complaining on this thread then obviously I wasn't talking about you...or your post. My comments are directed towards the teachers who complain about how hard their job is, their salary, etc.
Let's put it this way. I AM an elementary teacher. I do complain, like everyone else about lots of stuff. That's human. I also happen to love my job and wouldn't do anything else, even though I could earn more. I work very hard, as I'm sure lots of teachers do. I spend MUCH MORE than one hour planning for class...and I'm shocked that you would spend so little time innovating and tailoring your class for your kids. I guess a new teacher would think that you can just throw out the same lesson plans year after year. Have you ever considered that every year you have different kids who learn differently? I guess you'll discover that in the years to come if you stick with teaching. There is not shortage of math teachers, by the way, there is a shortage of jobs that can pay on par with engineering...they go after the same pool of math capable teachers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education