U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2008, 02:22 PM

30 posts, read 84,733 times

Advertisements

There is a vast shortage of teachers in Georgia. Especially Math Teachers. Pay is very low at best. Master degrees that take home $2800 per month. After 15 years. Not quite near GM's rates and they would strike for those wages. You are also tied down 8 hours per day with kids that would love to spit, hit, scratch and maybe even poison your iced tea. This is just the classroom. Mounds of paperwork and tests to grade, lesson plans. On and on. Not to mention the first week of school you will get a cold. All bugs brought your way. But it is one of the best jobs in the world!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 04:01 PM

48 posts, read 168,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaberry25 View Post
There is a vast shortage of teachers in Georgia. Especially Math Teachers. Pay is very low at best. Master degrees that take home $2800 per month. After 15 years. Not quite near GM's rates and they would strike for those wages. You are also tied down 8 hours per day with kids that would love to spit, hit, scratch and maybe even poison your iced tea. This is just the classroom. Mounds of paperwork and tests to grade, lesson plans. On and on. Not to mention the first week of school you will get a cold. All bugs brought your way. But it is one of the best jobs in the world!

What part of GA are you talking about? I have a cousin who's teaching in GA, w/ a Bachelors, and she's making approx 35K and that will go up when she is a "certified" teacher. What county is offering $2800/month (spread out over 10 months or 12 months? Either way, that's a bad number), w/ a Master's? That's shameful...

Old 12-01-2008, 07:27 PM

901 posts, read 2,495,387 times
I have a master's and I take home less than $2800 a month. Taxes, taxes, taxes.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:30 AM

3,306 posts, read 3,064,309 times
I haven't read the comments on this thread, but I've been around teachers all my life and I think they are often over paid. As you mention the fact that there are so many people wanting to become teachers and retention rate shows the current pay isn't too low, rather the opposite.

Teachers love to point out that they don't make that much a year while ignoring the fact that they get about 4 months vacation time a year. They work for 2/3 the year and they want to get paid as if they work the full year....its absurd.

Another big issue is that pay tends to be the pay for all subjects. But the supply of teachers for all subjects is not equal. There is a shortage of good science and math teachers while history, English, art etc teachers are a dime a dozen.

Also, you can't just look at the pay either. They get very good health benefits and very good retirement packages....

Before she retired my mom was getting paid $78k/year for working 8 months out of the year and she worked no more than 40/hours a week while teaching. If such a teacher worked the whole year that would be a salary of $117k/year for teaching..... The idea that these people are under paid is absurd.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:10 AM

520 posts, read 2,169,051 times
$2,800 take home a month is not bad pay. After taxes, retirement and union dues, I take home less than that and my salary is around 50,000.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:29 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,473,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
I see this all the time, teachers complaining non stop about how they don't get paid enough on and on. Yet, I see no shortage of teachers and from the looks of it the retention rate for teachers is very high. To further my case, I see a lot of people who are trying to get teaching jobs. Seems like they get paid too much considering how many qualified people are looking for teaching jobs.
Why? Because people like to complain. Thats it.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:41 AM

2,970 posts, read 5,921,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtisticAthlete View Post
I work a 6hr work day (7am-1pm). Technically, I only work 4hrs b/c we're a block schedule school and my prep and lunch is back-to-back (1 1/2 hr prep + 30 min lunch = 2hrs of not teaching). Originally, I didn't go to school to be a teacher but if I can be home by 130pm this gives me something to think about.

My fellow teachers, stop all of your whining! Teaching isn't 'that' hard! And I'm teaching H.S. Mathematics...
Why does your school get out so early?

And no offense, but how many different math classes do you teach? Do you just follow the lessons spelled out in a textbook or do you use more "hands on" real world approaches to teaching Math? Do you correct students work, or just provide the answers for them to self-correct? Do you make your own tests, or use ones from the text?

Old 12-02-2008, 04:11 PM

48 posts, read 168,687 times
Default I think it's all covered...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
Why does your school get out so early?

And no offense, but how many different math classes do you teach? Do you just follow the lessons spelled out in a textbook or do you use more "hands on" real world approaches to teaching Math? Do you correct students work, or just provide the answers for them to self-correct? Do you make your own tests, or use ones from the text?
Most of the h.s. school kids in this district have to work for a living. So, the district decided to end h.s. @ 1pm b/c most of the kids have to work @ 2pm or 3pm. I think school used to get out later (like "normal" high schools, but everyone skipped last period b/c they had to work. And no, they don't work for "extra" money...they work to survive!

Currently, I teach 2 different math classes (they may add a 3rd next year...Trig).

No, I don't follow the lesson plans that are "spelled out" in the textbook. After reading the section, I make up my own and put my own twist on it.

Yes, I correct my students work (i.e. giving them the right answer and explaining/drawing how I got that answer) and go over EVERY question in class. Most questions, I give an additional example to the problem that I just explained...to make sure they understand.
In my opinion, giving the answers and letting the students check their own work is lazy.

Last but not least, I make my own tests and quizzes.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
I haven't read the comments on this thread, but I've been around teachers all my life and I think they are often over paid. As you mention the fact that there are so many people wanting to become teachers and retention rate shows the current pay isn't too low, rather the opposite.

Teachers love to point out that they don't make that much a year while ignoring the fact that they get about 4 months vacation time a year. They work for 2/3 the year and they want to get paid as if they work the full year....its absurd.

Another big issue is that pay tends to be the pay for all subjects. But the supply of teachers for all subjects is not equal. There is a shortage of good science and math teachers while history, English, art etc teachers are a dime a dozen.

Also, you can't just look at the pay either. They get very good health benefits and very good retirement packages....

Before she retired my mom was getting paid $78k/year for working 8 months out of the year and she worked no more than 40/hours a week while teaching. If such a teacher worked the whole year that would be a salary of $117k/year for teaching..... The idea that these people are under paid is absurd.
First of all, everything you have written has been said already. Also, I actually don't remember any posts saying that teachers were underpaid. I could be wrong because I read some of the posts a long time ago.

Secondly, it takes a long time for teachers to make that kind of money. The maximum salary in my school system comes after 22 years. If someone teaches for 22 years, they deserve to make a nice living. They have put in their time.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post

You cannot lump all teachers in the same category. The pay for teachers varies widely and the schedules and work loads do to. I am sorry, but being a Kindergarten teacher is just not the same as being a high school teacher. I cannot imagine having to grade 25 English term papers times 4 or 5 classes. That would be extremely time consuming. Very different from Kindergarten.
This actually make me laugh out loud. I work with pre-k- 5th grade. I have worked with older children in the past (including high school). I can tell you hands down that the earlier grades are MUCH harder to work with. Kindergarten is physically demanding. You have to squat down to talk to the children at eye level. You are moving all the time and constantly bending down to tie their shoes. The list goes on.

Kindergarten is also hard because you are trying to teach the children how to read. There is a lot of academic pressure in kindergarten now. Not to mention that some of the children have a hard time adjusting to being in school. So you are dealing with emotional and academic issues.

It makes me mad when people think that kindergarten teachers "play" all day with the kids. Kindergarten is one of the toughest grades to teach because the children are not independent. You find yourself saying the same thing over and over.

OK, my rant is over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education