U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 02:08 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,500,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
Something KNEW?
Isn't it N-E-W?
Thank goodness you're not a teacher.
How about I give you a dictionary?
To bullseye a single grammatical error and then proceed to jump on said error to criticize the person you are in disagreement with shows intellectual ineptitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 02:36 PM

429 posts, read 645,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
Their are alot of people who wish they could make a good living off of something they love doing. Don't give me the BS about how I LOVE to teach and the bright eyed young children who's eyes light up when you have taught them something knew. Give me a break.
Can you please explain to me how your post is supposed to refute my point? I'm not following your logic.

Oh and as far as it being 'BS' that I love to teach and do so because of it, see my post entitled 'Teaching in an Inner City' on this forum.

Old 10-23-2008, 04:53 PM

8,597 posts, read 9,976,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
the retention rate is not that high and it all depends where they are working and the cost of living in the area that they are working. Here in South Florida, cost of living is very high and many teachers are leaving to places like Georgia and NC to teach. Down here it is a constant battle between the teachers unions and the county governments.
Why is it that the same teachers that taught my kids are now teaching their kids in the same grade school?

Old 10-23-2008, 05:20 PM

2,358 posts, read 4,972,173 times
Default Teachers and Education

Why is it that teachers get the same level of credit for grad school, whether they go to Harvard to pursue their master's or night school at the local community college or even online?

I think teachers should be paid bonuses based upon the performance of the students in their classes. This will obviously vary from district to district as I would expect more affluent districts to score better.

I have little respect for the "advanced" degrees being given to teachers.

I also have issues with high school physics teachers making as much as 1st grade teachers, who are essentially glorified baby sitters. One could argue that most teachers in urban public schools are glorified babysitters, even those in high school.

And tenure? What is up with that? Many teachers become worksheet teachers and teach the same material for 10 years straight, sometimes even using the same tests, which the kids get copies of from their older siblings or friends in order to faciliate cheating.

I did have some good teachers growing up, but I honestly knew more than most of my teachers by the time I was in high school or even junior high.

My mother, grandmother, great grandmother were all teachers and many of my aunts and cousins still teach, btw.

Old 10-23-2008, 05:31 PM

3,830 posts, read 5,728,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
1st grade teachers, who are essentially glorified baby sitters.
You're so right - no important foundational learning takes place in 1st grade.

Slackers.

Old 10-23-2008, 05:42 PM

If we didn't have a teacher in our family and we didn't have two real close neighbors that are teachers, I might believe and feel sorry for some of you.
I think even they would get a laugh out of what some have said here about how hard your jobs are....

Old 10-23-2008, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
You're so right - no important foundational learning takes place in 1st grade.

Slackers.
I would say a first grade teachers are like the corner stone of a buliding, without it there would be no building.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:16 PM

901 posts, read 1,841,970 times
1st grade teachers are glorified babysitters?? When was the last time you were in a 1st grade classroom. That is the year that most children start reading and really writing. 1st grade is very tough. You are obviously not aware of what goes on in schools.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:48 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,339,521 times
Hey, its 7:47 PM and my wife who works for a school district is still at work. SLACKER!

Old 10-23-2008, 07:05 PM

23 posts, read 88,005 times
Quote:

I'm still confused as to how this pertains to teachers being "overpaid." If supply exceeds demand and wages fall (as you mentioned), wouldn't that mean that they're underpaid (or, at least losing some of the benefit they would have at a lower level of supply to employers)? Not to mention I think there's a too many exogenous factors to make simple S-D work for teaching salary. Otherwise, wages would be higher in cities like Philadelphia that need teachers than it would in suburbs like New Hope where there are fewer positions but plenty of applicants.

Um, that's because I was talking about how teachers are paid exactly what the market determines they are worth. Of course S-D is more complicated than this, but we can only speak in generalities. There are always assumptions when speaking about economic theories (I thought everyone knew this about economics). In NJ, teachers are mandated to be paid more regardless of the supply or demand. But your response is not a rebuttal to my argument.

I don't get the salary complaints. I used to be a librarian and made a low wage as well despite my graduate degrees. Instead of complaining, I took another job that the market values more. Now, I am making more money. Problem solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education