U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2008, 11:41 PM

96 posts, read 375,436 times

Advertisements

Aren't there already several posts on this forum covering this exact topic? Do we really need another one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 12:23 AM

1,132 posts, read 1,900,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asugraduate View Post
Aren't there already several posts on this forum covering this exact topic? Do we really need another one?
For you to comment on.

Old 10-24-2008, 05:50 AM

7,396 posts, read 11,190,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leangk View Post
my philo teacher at highschool said he got paid 100 000 a year. but he was in the highest pay bracket. think of all the benefits they get too?

not to mention they dont work the summer, and get the same vacation as the students?
With any profession, you can't really point out one person and say, "He makes $100,000" a year. I bet the cost of living is quite high in the area where he works, maybe he has a Doctorate degree, etc.

Old 10-24-2008, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMTeacher View Post
(oops, now it's 2 posts before this one)
I agree with you. The problem is that people think that ALL teachers complain about their salaries.

If those people read all the posts then they would see that that's not what we're saying. We are just saying that we don't make too much nor are we overpaid. We deserve what we earn. There are states that don't pay teachers much and those teachers definitely deserve more.

I think some of the people who start these posts don't know what they are talking about. I wish they would pick another profession to pick on. They are always talking about the teachers. Seriously, it's not like we're making 100K or 200K. I wish they would just pick another profession to pick on.

You know what we make. We're not rich but not poor either. If teachers have new cars and a house, that's also because their husbands or wives work. I'm a single mom and have a house and car and that's because I am responsible with my money and I save. Anyone can do that with ANY salary.
Yes, that is the point I was trying to make.

Many school districts post their pay scales online. I would be interested in the "hourly" rate different people make and the area in which they live, how many years service, degree, etc. Since it is public info, people might be willing to post it.

Old 10-24-2008, 06:33 AM

12,228 posts, read 25,360,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Yes, that is the point I was trying to make.

Many school districts post their pay scales online. I would be interested in the "hourly" rate different people make and the area in which they live, how many years service, degree, etc. Since it is public info, people might be willing to post it.
Excellent point. Because we essentially pay teachers salaries we tax payers do tend to want to know just how much we're paying, but really I have no idea what other people are making. When my daughter was hired by the school district her salary was listed in the school board minutes as well as the recommendations from the interviewing committee, teachers from her college and the name of her College. Wouldn't it be weird if we knew that much information about every person we interacted with?

In PA, you can see the range of salaries by going to this website: Stop Teacher Strikes Website Pennsylvania law allows teacher strikes and this site is dedicated to "telling all".

Old 10-24-2008, 06:54 AM

781 posts, read 1,064,658 times
1. "I see this all the time, teachers complaining non stop about how they don't get paid enough on and on."

Where are these teachers? Are they on this forum? Are they your neighbors? I never see this, where are they?

2. "Yet, I see no shortage of teachers and from the looks of it the retention rate for teachers is very high."

Most new teachers leave within 3-5 years. When I say 'most', I believe the number to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 50%.

"To further my case, I see a lot of people who are trying to get teaching jobs. Seems like they get paid too much considering how many qualified people are looking for teaching jobs."

I don't see the logic. Please explain. Also, I see a serious teacher shortage in math and science. Should they be paid more, by your logic?

Old 10-24-2008, 07:03 AM

1,570 posts, read 4,562,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I read an article years ago on the salaries of teachers and comparative jobs. The teachers actually made more per hour than the business employee. My daughter used to be a manager in a department store. She worked 6 days a week and 10 hours a day. I think a teaching job would be a walk in the park after a schedule like that.
Yes, i worked in retail for 9 years. Those managers were really beaten down stocking shelves and managing schedules.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Excellent point. Because we essentially pay teachers salaries we tax payers do tend to want to know just how much we're paying, but really I have no idea what other people are making. When my daughter was hired by the school district her salary was listed in the school board minutes as well as the recommendations from the interviewing committee, teachers from her college and the name of her College. Wouldn't it be weird if we knew that much information about every person we interacted with?

In PA, you can see the range of salaries by going to this website: Stop Teacher Strikes Website Pennsylvania law allows teacher strikes and this site is dedicated to "telling all".
It seems to depend on the state. In Virginia, for example, I can look on most County School sites and locate the pay scale. In PA, I can find very few posted.

I work in an area with a cost of living that is considered relatively high. We are salaried, not hourly, but if I take my salary with a Master's and 16 years, divide it by 193 workdays, then divide by 7.5 hours, I get an hourly rate of just about $49.75.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:16 AM

5,826 posts, read 8,126,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
I believe teaching is a calling. Some people were just born to be teachers. They just can't deny it. It has nothing to do with money and everything to do with passion and vision. The truly great teachers just seem to have that intangible "it" quality that inspires others - it cannot be taught or bought.
I agree. Those that do it know the hassles and work through them. If not for teaching, they wouldn't know what to do with themselves.

Now, on the flip side, lemme tell ya what I know with first hand experience. It turned my stomach at the time and I know it is likely continuing to this day. When I was in college (when dinosaurs still roamed) I befriended a lady that was attending college and taking some of the same classes I was taking. She was low income and was getting financial aid to attend classes. She aspired to become a legal aide for the poor. What she ran into was the monster doling out the money. Most of her electives were in the law enforcement and sociology range. But when she went to transfer to a 4-year college, the financial net flipped on her. The powers that be didn't want to encourage another legal aide and thus canceled her funding. They did, however, feel the need for more teachers at the elementary level and if she changed her career objective, they would continue to fund her education for it. She took it.

I suspect that the people who are disgruntled about teaching and the pay are the ones who had no choice in their educations.

I do know one man who teaches high school and is going to retire in about a year. He sees the red tape involved with teaching and the impossibilities that exist in the school system as a result. I have flirted with the possibility of returning to school to become a teacher and he has done everything in his power to dissuade me. I understand his concern, but there is something about teaching a child that really calls to me.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:49 AM

8,652 posts, read 14,120,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMTeacher View Post
__________________________________________________ _____

What's the point here? Maybe that teacher enjoys her job and likes it there.

My dad works for the same company for 30+ yrs. What does that say about him?
He likes his job, likes the security, and has loyalty to his company.
negative thing

We are all required to attend inservices, workshops and learn new material. I'm sure she's not teaching the same exact thing she was teaching years ago. Our jobs change and we have to keep up.
Maybe she's just a good teacher and likes it there. Is this a negative thing?
If you go back and read the quote I was replying to then maybe you will understand the point! I never said it was a "negative thing". I DO think their job is very important. But first grade and second grade teachers are pretty much teaching what they taught 25 years ago, they are laying the foundation for our children.....You know that reading and writing stuff and 2 + 2 = 4.

I worked for the same company for 28 years but the way some here talk about how hard their jobs are teaching they would probably not have lasted 2 years doing what I did and the hours I worked. Ten hours a day would have been a part time job.

And people moved around on jobs 40 years ago just as they do today..I don't where you get the idea that is new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education