U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 05:41 PM

3,843 posts, read 7,965,881 times
Default If teachers don't get paid enough then why?

I see this all the time, teachers complaining non stop about how they don't get paid enough on and on. Yet, I see no shortage of teachers and from the looks of it the retention rate for teachers is very high. To further my case, I see a lot of people who are trying to get teaching jobs. Seems like they get paid too much considering how many qualified people are looking for teaching jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 05:45 PM

9,000 posts, read 8,526,049 times
A lot of my teachers hated their pay but they loved the job more.
I think all teachers need a pay raise in this country.

I remember my first day of second grade some of the teachers at my elementary school were on strike. They wanted higher pay. I remember thinking, "Good for them."

I've read that 30% of teachers leave the profession within 3 years time.

Old 10-21-2008, 05:48 PM

3,916 posts, read 5,900,400 times
My wife wants to leave the teaching field, she loves her job and doesn't complain about her pay. She does complain about all the horrible parents not taking care of their children and religious nut jobs families.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:00 PM

2,746 posts, read 9,499,647 times
Two of my very close friends are teachers here in San Antonio, TX. A first year teacher here starts out at between 41 and 45k (depends on what district)...

The cost of living here is pretty low... so considering that, the starting teacher salary is very good. One of my friends taught for about 15 years then left to teach out of the country. The other has been teaching for about 13 years now, so she's making almost 50k. She really doesn't complain at all and YES, she works her tail off but she also freely admits to enjoying havnig the same school breaks as her daughter, not havig to worry about child care during those breaks, having summers off, even if they seem to be getting shorter all the time.

She has been to Europe 4 times that I know of. No, she's not rich... but with careful planning and saving she manages to save up for these trips, as well as her daughter having ballet and music lessons and so forth, and she also lives in a rather affluent area of town. So she's doing better than a lot of people with a Bachelor's degree, that's my point... and she encourages ME all the time to consider teaching so it can't be that bad!

She loves teaching, she loves 'her kids' (she teaches High School).. and if you aren't set on having the latest model Lexus, $400 handbag or huge plasma TV it seems to be a very decent living, at least in my area.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:22 PM

9,000 posts, read 8,526,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Two of my very close friends are teachers here in San Antonio, TX. A first year teacher here starts out at between 41 and 45k (depends on what district)...

The cost of living here is pretty low... so considering that, the starting teacher salary is very good. One of my friends taught for about 15 years then left to teach out of the country. The other has been teaching for about 13 years now, so she's making almost 50k. She really doesn't complain at all and YES, she works her tail off but she also freely admits to enjoying havnig the same school breaks as her daughter, not havig to worry about child care during those breaks, having summers off, even if they seem to be getting shorter all the time.

She has been to Europe 4 times that I know of. No, she's not rich... but with careful planning and saving she manages to save up for these trips, as well as her daughter having ballet and music lessons and so forth, and she also lives in a rather affluent area of town. So she's doing better than a lot of people with a Bachelor's degree, that's my point... and she encourages ME all the time to consider teaching so it can't be that bad!

She loves teaching, she loves 'her kids' (she teaches High School).. and if you aren't set on having the latest model Lexus, $400 handbag or huge plasma TV it seems to be a very decent living, at least in my area.
41 and 45? Uhm...sign me up! PLUS I get the summers off! Oh yes!

Some of my high school teachers had rich husbands so that's PART of the reason they lived so well but even my single Spanish teacher did pretty well by herself.
I think a lot of people focus on what latest this or that they don't have and don't stop to realize billions of people don't have the standard of living we have.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:25 PM

2,515 posts, read 6,857,573 times
the retention rate is not that high and it all depends where they are working and the cost of living in the area that they are working. Here in South Florida, cost of living is very high and many teachers are leaving to places like Georgia and NC to teach. Down here it is a constant battle between the teachers unions and the county governments.

6,486 posts, read 6,353,317 times
I believe teaching is a calling. Some people were just born to be teachers. They just can't deny it. It has nothing to do with money and everything to do with passion and vision. The truly great teachers just seem to have that intangible "it" quality that inspires others - it cannot be taught or bought.

5,555 posts, read 4,019,474 times
Teachers are usually standing and talking six hours a day, take papers home to correct, answer calls from parents at night or make calls to parents, have teacher conferences at least twice a school year, are completely burnt out by summer and so they get a well-deserved vacation, though many teach summer school. They have to face complaining parents, complaining principals, attend seminars whether they want to or not, to keep their jobs and deal with ever-changing administrative directives. You try it before you judge it.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:26 PM

901 posts, read 1,751,409 times
Killer, you wrote "Seems like they get paid too much considering how many qualified people are looking for teaching jobs". Just because some people are looking for jobs does not mean that teachers are paid too much. I do not even see the logic in that thought.

Many teachers have advanced degrees and have worked very hard in school. Why don't teachers deserve a fair wage? Garbage men can make more than teachers, and they have not put nearly as much money into their education/profession. Why aren't you complaining about the salary of sanitation workers?

When I go to work, I work very hard all day. Some people go to work and talk on the phone or surf the web all day. I don't hear you complaining about them. What is your problem?

Old 10-21-2008, 07:22 PM

194 posts, read 381,376 times
Most teacher salaries are higher than that of a starting govt./GS pay grade. But the fact is teachers get horrible raises. The plus is that they get all the breaks kids get, a decent summer off, working 6 hours a day, plus high school teachers getting planning periods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education