Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 12:14 PM

571 posts, read 1,303,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raising3boys View Post
As a teacher it is IMPORTANT to remain neutral. I cannot believe that this educator would be speaking about his personal opinions, including the Bible.
Agreed. I am a teacher and my students do not need to know anything about my beliefs. I think students have their assumptions about me, and that's fine. It's not my place to confirm or correct them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 12:18 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,202,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
A high school teacher tells a lesbian 17 year old student, during a discussion about politics, that he is absolutely against homosexuality and gay marriage and so forth because the Bible says it's wrong.

This came about after the class as a whole was discussing the upcoming election and the teacher asked the kids who they'd vote for if they could vote, and why. The lesbian student brought up the same sex marriage issue and said she'd vote Democratic and that was part of her reasoning, because she hoped to one day be able to marry the person of her choosing.

The teacher launched into an anti-gay lecture that ended with her in tears. I don't know the exact details of what he said, just the general gist of it.

(this was in math class, by the way!? )

Anyway, just curious as to what others think of that. My son told me about it yesterday. He was pretty upset... because the girl is a friend of his, and because, well, a "2 mom" household reflects his own family, and because the teacher was going on about what the Bible says about gays.

The incident reminded me of the thread here about 5 year olds and "Gay Day". Curious as to the opinions on what took place.
What school was this? I highly suggest that your son have his friend contact the ACLU or a similar organization, they specialize in handling this kind of idiocy.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:57 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,365,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kereczr View Post
What school was this? I highly suggest that your son have his friend contact the ACLU or a similar organization, they specialize in handling this kind of idiocy.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:31 PM

414 posts, read 1,277,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
I couldn't have said it any better myself....

Old 10-30-2008, 05:31 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,914,887 times
If it were me, I would meet the teacher in person to discuss as nicely as possible. Using words like "I was concerned when I heard this and I wanted to follow up with you to see what exactly was discussed." Even if it ended with it sounding like a total misunderstanding, I would tell the teacher that I was going to write a small note to the principle explaining the situation and that the two of you worked it out. That way, if the teacher is also misrepresenting the situation to you, the principle will have a record of it all and can see a pattern with this teacher over time.

But Math class?! I mean, save it for history/social studies/politcal science class. I think one of the worse things about this situation is that this particular teacher may be ruining it for other teachers. What if enough parents got upset about this teacher and his rants and the Principle or Superindentant felt the need to have a policy to severly restrict these types of discussions? I'm probably considered a big liberal, but I wouldn't care if a teacher led a discussion like this and even stated their personal opinion, even one way against my own views. High schoolers need to have guideance in having discussions like this and to learn that you can respect others of different views and separate. Plus, it can start important discussions at home, as well. But you can moderate these discussions and even state your own views without preaching.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:01 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
creepy is all I can say....

Old 11-02-2008, 10:04 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,202,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstn View Post
I couldn't have said it any better myself....
Deal with it ^_^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education