Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 02:10 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,372,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
GoCUBS1 - Partial homeschooling sounds ideal! It never occurred to me that you could do something like that. And good for you for forging your own path and helping other students and families as well! I am going to begin checking into the possibility today.
Here's some info on partial homeschooling in MN. This is what I tried to do in IL but I'm not sure if it is covered by a statute here. I'll do a little more research as I may also decide to partially homeschool my youngest in math.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gifted Learning Center
Partial homeschooling here means having a school responsible for educating a child in some subjects and the parent in other subjects. Minnesota state law explicitly allows this: Statute 120B.20, “Parental Curriculum Review.”

See the Minnesota Statutes website for the exact wording.
http://ros.leg.mn/bin/getpub.php?pubtype=STAT_CHAP_SEC&year=2006&section =120B.20

For example, if a child is talented in mathematics and the school’s curriculum is not sufficiently challenging the parent may take responsibility for the child’s math education while leaving the child in regular school for other subjects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 09:52 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
Yes, and get him away from the Investigations curriculum--that one is a disaster. Singapore math, abeka math, or just about anything else would be better.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:55 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
I really want to thank you guys again for the ideas and support.

GoCUBS1 thank you for those links, I will check them out.

Stepka - LOVE Singapore math! And I absolutely can't stand Investigations. Not in a public school setting anyway. In theory it's wonderful, and in fact for homeschooling it could be good for certain types of learners... but for a teacher with 30 kids to teach, I don't think so. This is why we supplement at home now.

KateFZ - thank you for the book recommendation, that name sounds so familiar...

toobusytoday - we would finish out this year and begin over the summer/4th grade year. When he asked about the possibility of us homeschooling, I told him that it was a big decision, and "let's think about it and research it." I told him that if at the end of this school year, after thinking and learning about it some more, if he still feels like he wants to do something different like homeschooling, that we will. I just cannot in good faith make this decision quickly. For me, a few months, in the middle of the school year, during the holidays no less, just isn't something I could do and feel good about it. I have worked out a situation now where I can spend more time with him during the school day working on writing, math, reading, and other work so that he spends less time sitting around being bored. I'm hoping that this will be a fine compromise to at least get us through the end of this year. I really do like his teacher this year. She is progressive and open-minded and very willing to work with us. She is a gifted teacher with a very positive attitude. My son just loves her. She's just stretched too thin.

I am planning on finding and hopefully joining some homeschooling groups in my area, and researching what's available to homeschooled kids as far as activities. My kids are already pretty involved with swimming and music and art, and they also want to play basketball and soccer but we haven't had time. I would imagine with homeschooling we would have more time to squeeze in more things that they would want to do, which is exciting.

I also found out about this today: Oregon Virtual Academy My husband and I are going to go check out a parent info session to learn more.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:38 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,979,824 times
That's wonderful! I'm so glad that you are so open-minded to doing what's best for your son and for your family. Good luck whatever you decide!

Old 11-07-2008, 11:04 AM

541 posts, read 1,144,742 times
I am also a HS mom. I have an only child and we live in Georgia, where there is a church on every corner. We do not HS for religious reasons. My husband was a huge advocate for homeschooling, as he had diffculities in the school system. I was a "great" student, meaning I memorized well and could regurgitate the answers for all those pesky standardized tests. But, I have very little critical thinking skills. I am not an out of the box thinker and my husband is a great problem solver. We need more like him and less like me!

Being an only child, I was so anxious all the time about him not having any friends. It does take a little longer to meet people who do not HS for religious reasons, but were out there. Someone one said to me "As long as you don't lock him in the basement, he will be socialized."

If you think about it, when is the last time you were in a group of 20 to 30 people your own age? Only in a classroom setting. Certainly not college, civic organizations, or neighborhoods. My son can relate to children and adults of all ages, just like in real life.

He is active in so many activities. Our lives our rich and full.

I am sure you will make the best choice possible for you and your family. Just asking the question is a start. Good luck and it will all be OK.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:57 AM

2 posts, read 4,154 times
There are some great/bad public schools just like there are some great/bad private schools, and great/bad homeschooling environments. Every teacher should have some kind of enrichment program, but with a specific math program as you mention, I wonder if the enrichment programs would help him. Memorizing the multiplication table in 3rd grade is essential! Our child has the temperment as your child and we found that a small, inexpensive private school resulted in more friendship/quality peer time and her test scores on national tests are strong. We went through a complicated decision regarding "fit" recently and simply returned our child to her previous school where she is much happier and challenged differently. Ultimately, raising balanced, confident humans is the goal of caring parents. Your child sounds as though he is not being "invited" into the social elements of the class (perhaps that is why he wants out of school).

Best of luck, caring parent.

GRITS girls reared in the south

Old 12-12-2008, 06:38 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,154,207 times
This is designed for middle/high school (and happens to be free for Florida residents).....but maybe there is something similar in your state for elementary school. It is another option you can explore.
Welcome to Florida Virtual School: an online e-learning solution

I support the public school system and know they have a lot of terrific teachers, but with the over crowding and underfunding.....there is only so much individual time a teacher can give a gifted student. You have to make the best decision for your own child and public school is not always it.

Old 12-19-2008, 12:41 PM

95 posts, read 336,290 times
My son began having issues with his 3rd grade teacher, but I felt confident if he just stuck with it for the rest of the year it would be better in 4th grade.

A huge mistake on my part. I should have listened to my instincts as a mom, NOT the "ed-ja-ma-cated" teachers. A degree means nothing to a child, and it shouldn't to an adult either. You are either a teacher or NOT a teacher. Who knows your kid better? You or a "so called teacher"?

We have been homeschooling for 6 years now, and wouldn't trade it for anything!

My son spent more time sitting in the hallway, for asking questions, than he did in the classroom having his questions answered. My daughter was treated exactly like your son, so she just stopped learning or doing the work. Since she "was just there", and didn't cause problems, she was ignored, until the P/T conferences. At the P/T conf. I was just told she was well behaved, and a great kid, but nothing was said about her work. It wasn't until the last day of her 2nd grade, that I was told, she was disorganized, and was handed a 3" thick folder of incomplete work for the year.

Did I mention I volunteered in the school. There was NO reason I shouldn't have known about any of these issues.

My son is now in 9th grade, and we still homeschool. He has NO desire to go back to PS. I can't even teach him math, he is way beyond my scope. (We rely on the INTERNET, teacher books, etc...)

My daughter is doing much better, and is learning common sense. Her math skill suffered, but are getting better with Math-U-See. She is part of a homeschool book club, and loves to read.

Beware of the socialization crap that comes up from the ignorant people. Homeschoolers are FAR from being unsocialized.

Both of my kids attend park days, book groups, bowing leagues, homeschool teen nights, Eco classes, junior solar sprint, geocaching, letterboxing, travel, etc....

A great thing to search for is YAHOO groups, the have homeschooling groups you can join. (FREE)

Old 12-19-2008, 04:29 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
Quote:
My heart is leaning towards homeschooling my youngest, but my mind is uncertain with doubts and fears. I'm torn. He has asked if we could try homeschooling, which took me by surprise.

I'd love to hear others experiences, ideas, wisdom, thoughts... feel free to pm me privately as well if you like. Thanks!
Haggardhouseelf, what did you decide? I was very torn about it myself when I started HS my daughter in 2nd grade, but I am so glad we did it. Both girls learned all their math facts really, really well, and all their grammar stuff and how to look stuff up. They esp learned to read well and to like it and they read good books. Believe me, the hardest part is to make a decision and then to tell everyone. The rest is easy compared to that.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:57 PM

2 posts, read 3,809 times
Anyone here worried about their social life?
I think home school would be something you should do from 1st to 5th grade.. I dont believe they should be home school for ever. Kids need to interact with others, hang out with friends, and maybe have boyfriend and girlfriends when they are in high school. All this things are important to kids and teenagers.
When i was in second grade and third grade i wasn't getting the attention i needed my self. I always needed help in math, i knew my times table, but didn't really know how to multiply until i went to fourth grade. I asked my parents to let me be home schooled and they said no. Today, im happy that they said no because friends are the most important thing in a teenagers life (I'm in the twelve grade).
I have a friend that is home school and i think it sucks because im really hes only friend. He doesn't get to socialize with others because hes at home most of the time and i feel bad for him. When it comes to meeting others, he gets nervous, because hes shy and hes quiet most of the time just because he doesn't have the ability to communicate.
I know how you feel about kids being destructive in class. I had that in elementary and middle school alot. But i did not become one of those kids.

All i suggest is that you keep you child in public school, have him joined after school programs and sports. That should help him a bit more and should not be boring at all. I know there are some programs in elementary schools during class time. all you have to do is find out which ones they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education