Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 07:33 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,232,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I agree with the above. If they don't pick up some social skills in high school, they will be lost in college, especially if living away from home. Also, kids get a chance to try things they might like to dowithout having to already be skilled.
What i remember of high school was getting picked on... those are some truly social skills that will never leave you and you probably can't get in college. in fact, i didn't really make any close friends or do anything socially until i GOT to college.

but that was just my experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 09:14 AM

3,089 posts, read 8,508,539 times
If by the age of 16 you do not have social skills two more years of h.s will not do much for you. By that age you are old enough to drive and old enough to have a job might as well go on to the next stepping stone.

Old 11-10-2008, 02:46 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,233,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
If by the age of 16 you do not have social skills two more years of h.s will not do much for you.
Maybe not, but neither will college. If you are socially awkward in high school, that could be further intensified in college especially if you are a few years younger then the typical freshmen.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:06 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,141,122 times
Now, I wouldn't be comfortable with my 16-year-old going out of town to college. However, if he went in-town to one of four colleges in my area, then I would be perfectly happy with that.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:58 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,900,323 times
Quote:
If by the age of 16 you do not have social skills two more years of h.s will not do much for you. By that age you are old enough to drive and old enough to have a job might as well go on to the next stepping stone.
Well what happens when you go to college at 16? If you are a boy what young woman will be interested in you? If you are a girl are you really ready to socialize with young men who are 2-6 years older than you?

Old 11-10-2008, 08:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
I agree with Momma_Bear on this issue. I have raised two kids. 16 year olds are just a little "unripe" for college. The last two years of high school are the "upperclassmen" years, time to be the leaders of the pack. Driving and having a job at a fast food restaurant do not equip one for going to college.

The other thing is, what do people think the last two years of high scool are for? It's not just putting in time, nor is it necessarily preparation for college. It's for, in part, taking courses you are interested in, to see if you have an aptitude.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:57 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,145,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I agree with Momma_Bear on this issue. I have raised two kids. 16 year olds are just a little "unripe" for college. The last two years of high school are the "upperclassmen" years, time to be the leaders of the pack. Driving and having a job at a fast food restaurant do not equip one for going to college.

The other thing is, what do people think the last two years of high scool are for? It's not just putting in time, nor is it necessarily preparation for college. It's for, in part, taking courses you are interested in, to see if you have an aptitude.
I'm going to disagree with you on your second paragraph. I didn't take courses I was interested in because they didn't exist. I took courses that were either required, would give me AP credit, or just filled my schedule.
What I did do is discover myself. My personality, beliefs, attitude, and passions for extracurricular activities completely outside of school. I could have gotten all of that in college sooner. I just don't see the point of spending 8 hours of your life, 5 days a week doing something completely unproductive.

Quote:
Well what happens when you go to college at 16? If you are a boy what young woman will be interested in you? If you are a girl are you really ready to socialize with young men who are 2-6 years older than you?
This again depends. An intelligent, mature 16 year old girl can have a platonic or romantic relationship with an 18-20 year old, nevermind the statatory rape issue. There are high school guys that age. Once you start getting past 21, it becomes a different story. It is possible to socialize with them, but there is a very different type of interaction.

If it's a 16 year old boy, I hate to say this, but if he's reasonably attractive, he'll get the "he's so cute" treatment. Also, unless he says anything, who's going to know he's 16?

Frankly, as long as the 16 year old isn't socially awkward, they can have perfectly reasonable friendships and relationships.

Now, 14 year olds in college would be a whole different discussion.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:18 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Well, if you notice, I said in part, taking courses you are interested in. My kids did take such courses in addition to their required courses. The fact that you "discovered" yourself in extra-curricular activities is part of the maturation process, too.

Saturday night we went to the local high school production of "Dracula". There were kids in the cast who had never been in a play before. You can't do that kind of stuff in college. You have to be pretty darn good to get a part in a play, probably a member of the theater department. Ditto sports. It's hard to secure a spot, even on a D-3 team in college unless you are very good. Ditto orchestra, choir, you name it. As far as wasting your time, if you were getting AP credits, or even just credits for graduation, you were not wasting your time, you were earing credits. Every job has parts as boring as that, and you'll be working for the next 40+ years of your life doing things just as boring.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:20 AM

3,089 posts, read 8,508,539 times
I do not mean pushing a 16 yr old in the University system. When I say they should move on at 16 I mean to a CC or Vocational school. All the CCs and Vocational schools I know of have programs for kids that age where you take classes with people of your age group if you wish and they have clubs and activities, for example http://www.collegeacademyatbcc.org/. BUT you have to be in H.S in order to join those kind of programs so you spend half of your time at H.S and the other half at the votech or cc. What I am saying is a 16 yr old should be able to leave h.s if they wish and still have those programs available. Like in the U.K.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:39 AM

427 posts, read 1,387,422 times
If this because the norm then I don't see why anyone should be worried about a 16 year-old going to college, as there will a large group of other students their age doing the same exact thing.Although I do think that they should wait until 18 to live at school.

I actually think it's a lot easier to be social in college, and to be more yourself in college than HS. Colleges are more diverse and you tend to be able to meet a lot of different people, plus with more schools cutting extras, college gives you the chance to do drama, and sports, art classes and more.

It's also a great idea for kids who just are not book smart. My cousin basically failed HS, partly his fault partly the schools. He went on to get his G.E.D. and is now in school for HVAC training and loves it, plus he's good at it. Some kids are hands on kids and regular school does not work for them, so vocational training is the best option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education