Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 10:07 AM

1,817 posts, read 4,916,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
If you'd seen some of the homeschooled kids that I have, you might understand why. Far too many parents have absolutely no business trying to teach their kids.
I dont see anywhere that they said most or even implied it. Guess we just see it differently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 10:09 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,968,858 times
Quote:
This is not to say that there aren't many fine parents doing a terrific job of it, but those ones are a lot less common than the former.
You had to read the whole thing.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:10 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,908,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
Even if the poster was completely innocent and thought that it was not insulting whatsoever to say "the majority of homeschooling parents suck," I do not feel that I'd be out of line to point out that it is in fact insulting. If I were to say "The majority of school teachers are doing a crappy job," I think that teachers would feel attacked, and rightly so. How is this any different?
You're the one rehashing it. I didn't make the comment in order to get more mileage out of a dead horse and I won't be drawn into re-debating it here.

I merely made a comment, which I firmly believe to be true based on multiple things I have either experienced directly, or based on facts from reputable sources on the subject. If you choose to feel insulted that I think a lot of homeschool parents are not doing an adequate job, feel free, knock yourself out. It's not important enough for me to bother yammering back at you about it.

As far as the OP is concerned, if it's a mistake made by the school in terms of the child's tests, don't immediately jump to the conclusion that someone is out to get you. They may be looking at you more closely because of the fact that you homeschooled, but that's fair because most parents who homeschool are NOT educated as teachers. It doesn't mean they're conspiring to "get" you.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
You're the one rehashing it. I didn't make the comment in order to get more mileage out of a dead horse and I won't be drawn into re-debating it here.

Oh good, I'm glad you're not up for debating it again. I am not personally insulted. My children are 100% better off being homeschooled by me than in any school, as most homeschooled kids are. I just hate to see mistruths and lies perpetuated by the non-homeschooling community.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:18 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,908,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
. I am not personally insulted.
Well, ya could have fooled me.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:04 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,931,227 times
I think there are extremes at both ends. My personal experiences are as follows:

Former girlfriend of one of my brothers. This girls mother had a sixth grade education and chose to home school. (In her case "home skool" is probably more like it. This young lady was functionally illerterate and "dropped out" in 10th grade. She has spent most of her adult life alternating between working as a hotel cleaning lady and on welfare. Her mother did a huge disservice to her by "home schooling." She was home, but there wasn't much schooling going on.

My sister home schools her children. One is two years ahead of her age group in her classwork and will likely graduate at 16. Another is on a similar track. A third is an average kid. They all have extra-curricular activities such as Karate, Scouts, youth basketball league, etc. so they get plenty of time with kids their own age. (My sister has a PhD in education, and is an experienced teacher.)

Another friend home schools her ADHD son. It doesn't seem to be healthy for either of them, but she feels that the school won't work with her because they wanted to put him into a classroom specifically for ADHD kids, and she wanted him in a regular room with an aide. Have to agree with the school on that one, her son would probably thrive in an ADHD class that used various coping skills and behavior modification systems, whereas he'd become increasingly frustrated and singled out in a regular room. Her son is working 2-3 years under the grade he should be in, and she simply doesn't have the patience to teach or motivate him. By 10:00 am she's frustrated and he's playing video games. Somehow I think public school would be a better option...

The last person I know is homeschooling because her daughter was atatcked at school and is afraid to go back, even though the school removed the child who was the attacker and has offered quite a few options. She is currently working at her expected grade level, however her mother is concerned that the work is getting harder and she isn't going to be able to "explain" things for much longer. Unfortunately there are no virtual schools where they live. At this point they are looking at the potential of an all girls Christian school for her to attend during high school. They haven't brought it up with her yet, I think kind of waiting for the right time.

I don't think it's right to generalize homeschoolers either way. Some people simply shouldn't be homeschooling thier kids, while others are doing a terrific job at it. I also do'nt think it's right to bash all public schools. Some of them are terrible, while others are terrific.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:09 AM

48,505 posts, read 96,675,147 times
Quote:
If you'd seen some of the homeschooled kids that I have, you might understand why. Far too many parents have absolutely no business trying to teach their kids. This is not to say that there aren't many fine parents doing a terrific job of it, but those ones are a lot less common than the former.
Fro somje of the normally schooled kids I have seen that can't even do simpole math or read a riler after graduating ;I thnik it really just depends on the parents knowledge. I am shocked at the level of lack of basic learning mnay kids egt at school.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Fro somje of the normally schooled kids I have seen that can't even do simpole math or read a riler after graduating ;I thnik it really just depends on the parents knowledge. I am shocked at the level of lack of basic learning mnay kids egt at school.
Agreed... though even if the parent's knowledge is lacking in a particular subject, it does not take a rocket scientist to order a curriculum and use it... they're extremely self-explanatory. The 1:1 ratio more than makes up for the parent needing to "catch up" in a particular subject.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:51 PM

173 posts, read 590,987 times
Quote:

I merely made a comment, which I firmly believe to be true based on multiple things I have either experienced directly, or based on facts from reputable sources on the subject. If you choose to feel insulted that I think a lot of homeschool parents are not doing an adequate job, feel free, knock yourself out. It's not important enough for me to bother yammering back at you about it.

As far as the OP is concerned, if it's a mistake made by the school in terms of the child's tests, don't immediately jump to the conclusion that someone is out to get you. They may be looking at you more closely because of the fact that you homeschooled, but that's fair because most parents who homeschool are NOT educated as teachers. It doesn't mean they're conspiring to "get" you.

It's obviously a mistake on their part. As far as them looking at me more closely, I'm used to it- I've homeschooled on & off for the past 16 years. (BTW it's not "fair" for them to be looking at me more closely ...I know a lot of kids in the public school system that are very behind.) People are ignorant as to the amount of determination, work & dedication it takes for a parent to homeschool. One more thing- your opinion wasn't asked for in regards to me "jumping to conclusions."

Old 12-04-2008, 07:39 AM

13,253 posts, read 33,437,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundance67 View Post
I've homeschooled my kids on & off . My daughters have had the least years of homeschooling in fact they were only homeschooled for 1 year- last year & that was their junior year of H.S. They had to test to get back in; we were told they passed the tests & they're in senior year now. Today,all of a sudden they decide to tell one of my daughters that she has to take geography in nightschool if she wants to graduate; they also are contradicting themselves & claiming she didn't pass the geography class (previously they said she had.) I'm ticked off about this & am tempted to pull 'em out, but the only reason I put them back in was to graduate w/ their friends.
I don't know if I should just let them finish at home now, w/ an online H.S. or let them go back, but I suspect this school will just come up with some other excuse to play these games with us.

This particular district is notoriously corrupt, & political...if you're not in on the "cliques" then your kids aren't picked for sports, scholarships, etc. I can't wait til we're out of here...
Back to the OP ^ If you haven't already done so, I would find the schools graduation requirements to make sure just what is needed. Our school has very rigid graduation requirements and students that move into the district are made to take seemingly silly classes to satisfy them. For instance all students must have two full years of gym, health, 1/2 year of drivers ed, two full years of technology PLUS the core requirements of four years of Social Studies, English, Science and Math and a senior project that takes quite a bit of research and then a presentation.

This works out well when it comes time for college applications and the kids automatically have what is expected for admission but it can be tricky for transfer students coming into the HS after sophomore year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education