U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 12-05-2008, 04:59 PM

446 posts, read 560,970 times
Default cough drops in school

My stepson just came home from school and had an interesting story to tell. He is getting over a pretty persistent cough, and was sent to school with cough drops. He claims that while in school today, he was told by his teacher that he was not allowed to have candy in school. When he said that it was a cough drop, his teacher said, "It doesn't matter. It's still candy and you aren't allowed to have it."

I realize that I can't fully accept his verson of the story without talking to the teacher, but upon first hearing, does this seem weird?
Quick reply to this message

Unread 12-05-2008, 05:07 PM

901 posts, read 1,641,922 times
How old is your stepson?

I don't think that cough drops are candy, but I still would not want my students to have them in class. I would be afraid that my student might choke. Also, my school does not allow any medicine unless the student has a prescription and the nurse must administer it.

Unread 12-05-2008, 05:12 PM

8,347 posts, read 8,752,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam82 View Post
How old is your stepson?

I don't think that cough drops are candy, but I still would not want my students to have them in class. I would be afraid that my student might choke. Also, my school does not allow any medicine unless the student has a prescription and the nurse must administer it.
I've had to take over the counter meds to my grand daughter to school. I asked the nurse why they can't have them with them as long as the parent sends a note... Her answer was like yours....I told her when I went to school we carried OTC Meds and no one ever died..

Schools aren't as smart as they used to be.

Unread 12-05-2008, 05:13 PM

5,148 posts, read 7,794,877 times
No, many school districts limit "non-healthy" foods while in school. One example is no pop sales in the vending machines. The other thing they limit is drugs. I've heard of kids getting into trouble because their parents sent aspirin to school with them. The only way for them to take it is to give it to the nurse with a letter from you giving your child permission to take it for some reason.

So, I believe what your son said.

Unread 12-05-2008, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I've had to take over the counter meds to my grand daughter to school. I asked the nurse why they can't have them with them as long as the parent sends a note... Her answer was like yours....I told her when I went to school we carried OTC Meds and no one ever died..

Schools aren't as smart as they used to be.
I should have made one thing clear, I work in an elementary school and most of my students are young. That is why I would be afraid of them choking.

I think schools don't allow OTC meds because they are afraid that the children might share them with others. In my school, children cannot even carry their own prescription ashtma pumps.

Unread 12-05-2008, 06:59 PM

20,440 posts, read 27,245,062 times
Cough drops can be considered "medicine" too. At our kids' old school we had to send in a note to allow the kids to use cough drops in school here they can't have them unless they go to the nurses' office and get them.

Unread 12-05-2008, 07:04 PM

4,891 posts, read 5,740,879 times
The district in which I teach doesn't allow students to have cough drops, Chapstick, Blistex, etc. unless it is kept in the clinic. The school can administer prescription meds, but OTC the parent has to come to school to give it.

Unread 12-05-2008, 07:38 PM

96 posts, read 265,254 times
In my former district parents filled out medical information on their children and noted whether or not the school nurse could administer Tylenol when necessary. Also, if a student had really chapped lips, I could send them up to get some Vaseline. Everything else had to be kept in the nurses office along with a note indicating when the kids are to take it.
In my current district, the nurse cannot administer any over the counter drugs unless the parents have stopped in to speak with the nurse and have given written permission. Cough drops can be kept in my classroom with a note from the parents. I let my students have chapstick. I can't see why that would be a problem. Some students with severe asthma are allowed to carry their own inhalers and even their own epi-pens. Most students cannot.
Maybe schools are trying to protect themselves from sue happy parents. Maybe there are new laws with which I am unfamiliar. I never really looked into it.

There are many things that often seem a little ridiculous. I wouldn't tell my kids that they couldn't have candy after they told me it was a cough drop. There could be more to this story. It's worth investigating, but teachers and school nurses often have our hands tied due to district or even state policies.

Unread 12-05-2008, 07:47 PM

5,973 posts, read 11,194,583 times
It's also because there are many parents out there who would sue the school for ridiculous reasons as well, so the schools have to make ridiculous rules to protect themselves. It never ends.

Unread 12-05-2008, 07:53 PM

Our school nurse is barely allowed to do anything. Mostly, shes give bandaids, takes the children's temperture, and gives ice packes. She also calls the parent when a child pees on themself or has to go home because they are sick. I rarely send my students to the nurse because there is no point.

I know that the last school nurse we had was miserable. She felt like there was nothing that she could do. She left in the middle of the school year. I haven't really spoken to the new nurse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education