U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2008, 09:01 AM

17,297 posts, read 25,642,559 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I mentor a group of four boys at a local disadvantaged elementary school. I have a twenty dollar budget for each of them to buy them at least one book each, and gifts for Christmas.

The boys are good overall, but of my co-workers who also mentor, MY group is the most rowdy and think they're little tough guys. Whereas friends of mine had 5th graders who enjoyed jazz and playing chess, mine like football and hip hop.

My focus is to find a good book the kids will want and like to read. They've told me they WOULD read a book if I gave them one, but I don't want to bore them to death.

When I was in 4th grade, I remember my favorite books being anything by Roald Dahl. I thought going in to this that they would like "The BFG"... but now they might think the subject matter is too "kid like" (despite the reading level maybe being right on point).

I was in the bookstore for a very long time the other night, and couldn't find anything in the alternative. Does anyone hear teach fifth graders of have young boys who enjoy reading? Can anyone suggest some "adventure" type books maybe?

Also, as a corrollary, what about other gifts for that age group that aren't ridiculous in price?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 09:41 AM

667 posts, read 2,443,289 times
Two suggestions:
- Warrior series: Erin Hunter
- Overlander series: Suzanne Collins

Perfect for this age group. And series encourage kids to keep reading.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:41 AM

620 posts, read 1,779,031 times
What a great thing you are doing by mentoring in the school. I have worked as a fifth grade teacher for the last several years. We need lots of volunteers in our schools!

I could give you a list of great books, but without really knowing these boys it would be difficult. You really need to understand their reading level and ability. You wouldn't want to give them a book that they would lose interest in because of the difficulty. If you know where they are with their reading , that would help.

If they are interested in sports, then try that route with books. Most of my students ( boys and girls) LOVE reading NONFICTION about the area they have a passion for. You can give nonfiction books about the interest they enjoy.

Also, many of my students LOVE graphic novels.

When you do decide what book to purchase for the boys, why not include a heart felt note in the cover. It will be something that they treasure for many years to come. When I write to my classroom kids, they tend to read the note over and over. I personally think it helps with self esteem.

You asked about the other gift too. Why not give them a book mark or a 5.00 gift card to the local bookstore where they could pick out their own book.

Also, I know this may seem silly, but when I worked with my Title 1 kids, they would LOVE any new school supplies. Even fancy pencils, pens were a hit. You have to understand ( which I am sure you do) often times, kids do not get NEW items often.

Thank you for doing what you are doing in the school. It takes a special person to commit.I am sure you are a making an impact on the lives of this group and you don't even realize it!

Old 12-07-2008, 01:19 PM

891 posts, read 2,752,276 times
I have a 5th grade son. I second the recommendation for the Warrior series. He devoured every book and would beg for the next one in the series. He started the series last year but still looks forward to each new release.
Two other books he loved were "Hoot" (can't remember the author) and Holes by Louis Sachar.
One more thing: most boys I know that are around this age love Lego's. You can find small sets in the $9-$14 range and still have enough for a book.

Last edited by lexingtongal; 12-07-2008 at 01:43 PM..

Old 12-07-2008, 04:59 PM

7,136 posts, read 10,979,679 times
My male students like:

Holes
House of the Scorpion
Maniac Magee
Sideways Stories from Wayside School
The Chalkbox Kid
Joey Pigza Loses Control
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education