U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2008, 08:15 PM

82 posts, read 380,148 times

Advertisements

I live in a medium sized community and with what I thought were generally good schools. Lately it seems that the school district here is become more punitive for what I would consider non-major incidents - lapses in judgement. It seems that schools are forgetting that these are children who will make mistakes and that these mistakes should be used as teaching opportunities. It seems that children at the middle and high school levels are being given out of school suspensions more and more and I'm wondering if it's because the schools don't want to deal with the child, detention is no longer an option because they can't find a teacher to stay after school or is it just easier to send them home or in some cases to a different school district to let them "deal with" the child/issue? What is happening to our school system?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 08:20 PM

14,095 posts, read 23,979,807 times
In some cases it's the student. Things have gotten bad enough here that the police have an officer at each school and the fights at the school result in arrest with charges filed. What do you consider minor offenses? Oh, something else I just remembered. What may actually be happening is the student is suspended for a minor offense, but that minor offense is one of many offenses this student has done throughout the school year.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:38 PM

901 posts, read 2,707,970 times
How minor is minor? You would have to be more specific.

Parents should be "dealing with" there children. What is happening to our system is that many parents don't do their job. Schools are expected to do everything. Schools are there for education, not deal with the child in ALL aspects of their life. Parents should be disciplining the child if the child does not behave as they should.

Also, in school suspension is not very effective. The parents could care less because it does not affect them in anyway. Most of the time the children don't care. At least that is the attititude in my school.

Old 12-09-2008, 05:14 PM

917 posts, read 2,108,715 times
In the high school here kids are actually suspended for a violation of the dress code! Can be as minor as shirt untucked or hood on sweatshirt! Then of course they get behind or miss a test...totally absurd but no matter how much the parents complain the administration won't budge! It's a very poor county also and many of the kids don't have the money to really conform to the code in the first place.

Old 12-09-2008, 06:18 PM

I would have to be there to see it. I work in a very poor area. Although we are a public school, our students are required to wear uniform. Still, many parents do not send their children in uniform. Meanwhile, the children are wearing $100 sneakers. The "uniform" is a white shirt and black bottoms. They can get that anywhere very inexpensively.

So, if a girl comes to school in scantilly clad clothes, I don't want to hear it. If the clothes are worn and dirty, then perhaps it is a money issue.

BTW, if someone was grossly out of dress code when I was in HS, either the parent had to bring a change of clothes or we were sent home to get new clothes, but still let back into the building after we changed.

Old 12-09-2008, 06:19 PM

One more thing. It sounds like the school is tyring to (or already has in place) a zero tolerance policy. Usually these policies are put in palce to show that the school means business.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:38 PM

82 posts, read 380,148 times
The incidents I'm talking about are what any conscientious adult/parent would consider minor. A statement was made that was deemed inappropriate (and it was not racial or gender bashing or anything of that sort). I'm not buying some of these arguments. Why doesn't in-school suspension work? If a parent is not concerned about what their child is doing, there is nothing the school is going to do to change that. While there are areas where education is not held in high regard, this is not the case here. Unfortunately the schools are trying so hard to be "tough" with zero tolerance that they are throwing the baby out with the bath water. We are talking about kids ages 11 - 15 who are going in so many directions, physically and emotionally, and we aren't willing to help them get to where they need to go in a constructive manner. Last year our district had 3 children expelled because they wrote "bomb" on a piece of paper that they forgot to throw away. Assumptions are made without taking all factors into account. Yes there needs to by guidelines but there also needs to be common sense.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:40 PM

56,691 posts, read 75,733,012 times
minor offense is a matter of interpretation. if its my kid its minor.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:49 PM

My school uses in-school suspension, and it does not work. As I stated, it makes no difference to the parents. The parents are not inconvienced at all, why should they care? The children don't seem to care. The only one that cares is the classroom teacher because they get a break.
The children are suspended, they leave for a few days, then they return and do the same exact thing that got them suspended. I know children that actually like being suspended because they get to hang out with the "suspension" teacher.

BTW, I never said that children should be suspended for every little thing. Suspension (at home) should be used for extreme cases like violence or repeated/excessive violations in my opinion.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:53 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,238,439 times
Public schools are scary, glad I'm long out.

-You're not really treated like a person/child with unique challenges, needs, issues (i.e. poor and can't afford uniforms). A blanket policy seems to cover everybody, rich, poor, etc. If you have an intack family at home, mom, dad, and a two car garage. Or whether you come from a single parent home, no parent home (living with relatives). English as a first language. Non english as a first language. Legal, or not!

There are going to be problems in that kind of system.

-They don't look at different situations.

"Zero tolerance". That sounds like a prison term, or boot camp term.

A scary and oppressive place if you ask me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or